Homeschooling Moms

Cafe MichelleP
OT: Do Your Kids Know How To Swim?
July 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM

The Chilling Drowning Video Every Parent Needs to See (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans 

wave poolOf all the videos that get passed around and shared on the Internet, this one, which has recently gone viral, is a true must see, especially for parents. In it you see a crowded wave pool, with kids splashing and having fun. A few seconds in, a child starts drowning, but it isn't until a lifeguard jumps in and rescues her that your attention is even drawn to the drowning child.

It's chilling because it's so easy to overlook this struggling child. There's so much action and commotion all around, that nobody seems to notice. Thankfully the lifeguard does, but it's a scene that could and does play out more tragically in pools and other bodies of water everywhere.

I was at a crowded water park the other day with a lazy river, wave pools, slides, and all the usual fun water activities. There were so many people, and so much activity that such a scene would be easy to miss even if you were nearby. According to an article on Slate, of the approximately 750 children who die in a year of drowning, about 375 of them do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult.

The video was uploaded to YouTube as part of training for lifeguards, but it's such a vital example for all parents to watch. While lifeguards are invaluable, they simply can't see everything going on and aren't always there, so we all should know what the signs of drowning look like. Here's a great article that describes four signs of drowning, which coupled with this video really makes you rethink what you thought you knew about people drowning.

Watch it. Share it. And the next time you're near water, remember it.

Do you and your kids know  how to swim?

Have you ever seen a child drowning?

Were you able to spot the child drowning in this video?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    July 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I saw the child drowning immediately (as soon as she fell out of the innertube).  My kids are learning how to swim.  Yes, I nearly drowned as a child.

• Bleacheddecay
    July 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM

My kids took swimming in 4-K at the private day school they attended. I also took them to our local pool for more lessons. Later, my girl was upset because she didn't know how to dive. So I took them for diving lessons (mostly because she wouldn't listen to me or her Dad about how to dive) at a local university. They even had a high dive.

I don't want to watch the video.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

DS has known how to swim since he was little.  He has been a water baby since he was born.  He loves to swim so I taught him how at a very early age. 

• armygirl16
    July 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    She could swim since she was 3. I need to put her back in lessons though to get her more confident. She can swim underwater and everything, but she does get nervous sometimes.
  • No_Difference
    July 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM

My daughter - absolutely - she's on the swim team lol.
    My little guy has been taking lessons but they're getting nowhere. We're looking into private lessons for both of them this winter, and then he'll go back into group lessons this winter too (if all goes well).
    I can swim, just not tread water. Hubby was on the swim team back in the day...

I noticed the girl as soon as she fell off her tube in the video. I've seen a few times instances that were very similar to the video where a child started drowning. Fortunatly, there was always someone right there that noticed too and was able to help immediately.

• KickButtMama
    July 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

I saw the child drowning immediately (as soon as she fell out of the innertube).  My kids are learning how to swim.  Yes, I nearly drowned as a child.

I saw it too! I immediately thought "Who DOESN'T see her?" My second htought was "Why did her parents let her in the wave pool if she couldn't swim?"

I never had a drowning accident - my dad threw me in the deep end of a pool when I was a toddler so I'd naturally learn to swim (presumably he'd have jumped in after me if I'd started drowning). So I've always been a swimmer. My boys were a different nut to crack. My eldest has a sensory thing with water, so even though I made him attend swim lessons as a youngster (as I was afraid of drowning) he is still not a confident swimmer. My youngest is more brave than smart so I'll always worry about him..lol..

But I made sure, from when they were very young, that my kids knew how to float and tred. So even if they aren't very good at swimming, they can be safe until someone can save them.

• bluerooffarm
    July 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I saw it too! I immediately thought "Who DOESN'T see her?" My second htought was "Why did her parents let her in the wave pool if she couldn't swim?"

I never had a drowning accident - my dad threw me in the deep end of a pool when I was a toddler so I'd naturally learn to swim (presumably he'd have jumped in after me if I'd started drowning). So I've always been a swimmer. My boys were a different nut to crack. My eldest has a sensory thing with water, so even though I made him attend swim lessons as a youngster (as I was afraid of drowning) he is still not a confident swimmer. My youngest is more brave than smart so I'll always worry about him..lol..

But I made sure, from when they were very young, that my kids knew how to float and tred. So even if they aren't very good at swimming, they can be safe until someone can save them.

I wondered who wouldn't see her too!!  I think they just relied too much on the floating tubes.

My dad threw me in the deep end as well.  Everyone thought I could swim really well (and I could!!  Like a fish!!) but I got caught in a rip tide.  Suddenly I was like a quarter mile out to sea and just way too tired to swim back.  i did not know to swim across the tide.  I was saved by a (really hott) life guard.  :-)  I was 11 and just noticing stuff like that.

ETA:  my youngest is also braver than smart, so I will worry about him too!

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I am not a strong swimmer. I had to take swimming as part of a gym class in college, and I passed. I could never tread water. My three older kids can swim, albeit,  not like fish. My daughter, my youngest,  likes being in the pool, but she can't swim.

I suspect that knowing how to swim doesn't keep a large proportion of children from drowning. Don't let that be a excuse for letting down your guard!

Yes, I did spot her right away; but, of course, I was looking for her.

• Knightquester
    July 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Do you and your kids know  how to swim?

Yes, and if they didn't they wouldn't be in waters where they couldn't swim w/o a life-vest or me holding onto them.

Have you ever seen a child drowning?

Thankfully I have never seen a child drown, but I have seen a few get into waters they weren't ready for and couldn't handle, and ended up needing to be pulled over the side.

Were you able to spot the child drowning in this video?

Yes, she was bobbing and thrashing around.

• Joann.HS
    July 31, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    Yes, all but my youngest can swim. And I suspect that next summer she will be good enough to swim without the arm floaties. We swim a lot. I don't rely on the lifeguards solely, and I am always there to keep a close watch while they swim.

My oldest was the only one to take swim lessons and the others just naturally caught on at a fairly young age. I am very glad they can swim. There are several adults on my DH's side that are terrified of being around water because they can not swim.

Homeschooling Moms