Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I'm in Thornton.  What's up?

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Ok, I just read your other message.  I'm in Adams 12 5 star, and the requirements are, to me, fairly loose.  The state says you have to have 172 days of school with an average of 4 hours, with documentation turned into your district.  My district doesn't collect that.  I do have to file an intent letter every year for each of my children.  Initially you have to contact them to get that (at least in my district) because they want to talk to you.  After that, they mail it to you.  They have subject requirements, but it boils down to the 3 Rs, science, and social studies.  Again, Adams doesn't collect documentation on that.  You do have to get them standardized testing on the odd years starting in 3rd, Adams will provide TCAP/CSAP free of charge, or you can go with a nationally recognized one, you have to turn in the scores to your district (we have to by the end of June).

I just started in January, so I'm still a little loosy goosy on all this, but I completed my first 6 months!  And I successfully signed all 4 of my school aged kiddos up for 2013-2014.  :)  My biggest problem when I first started is that there's no direction, no guidance.  Nice because it gives you the freedom.  Stressful because there's so much out there, where do you start?

• Changedwomen
    July 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ok I am new and just wondering what are all the requirements of Colorado.  I read that you have to have shots up to date and a whole lot more.  Has it changed for any of the requirements??

• Changedwomen
    July 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Is there a month of when you should start and end or can you basically start any month.  I am wanting to do it next year so I researching a bunch this year.

Quoting hwblyf:

Ok, I just read your other message.  I'm in Adams 12 5 star, and the requirements are, to me, fairly loose.  The state says you have to have 172 days of school with an average of 4 hours, with documentation turned into your district.  My district doesn't collect that.  I do have to file an intent letter every year for each of my children.  Initially you have to contact them to get that (at least in my district) because they want to talk to you.  After that, they mail it to you.  They have subject requirements, but it boils down to the 3 Rs, science, and social studies.  Again, Adams doesn't collect documentation on that.  You do have to get them standardized testing on the odd years starting in 3rd, Adams will provide TCAP/CSAP free of charge, or you can go with a nationally recognized one, you have to turn in the scores to your district (we have to by the end of June).

I just started in January, so I'm still a little loosy goosy on all this, but I completed my first 6 months!  And I successfully signed all 4 of my school aged kiddos up for 2013-2014.  :)  My biggest problem when I first started is that there's no direction, no guidance.  Nice because it gives you the freedom.  Stressful because there's so much out there, where do you start?

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Not me but hello!

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I started 3 weeks ago.  The only requirement, for us, is to notify the office 14 days ahead of when you plan on starting.  They didn't mail the stuff out until the week we started, but I am still counting those days and hours.  :)  I started this early because my younger kids wanted to homeschool after my oldest did for 6 months, and I wanted to do a trial run.  Well, we really just kept going after that because once you start, who wants to put it on hold for another month or so and have to do the start up stuff all over?  I'm being really laid back this year because I have the 5 at home and we're still trying to figure things out.  My oldest has to do testing this year, though (5th grade), so I'm a little nervous about that!  Now, I've heard of some people finishing all their requirements and whatever curriculum they've chosen in like April or whatnot, so if you wanted to start a new school year in May, I'm not sure how that would work.  It seems to me that you can advance your kids academically, but you can still only fulfill one school year's requirements for time and such in one calendar year.  Does that make sense?

• Changedwomen
    July 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Like what you said before like the 172days.

Quoting hwblyf:

I started 3 weeks ago.  The only requirement, for us, is to notify the office 14 days ahead of when you plan on starting.  They didn't mail the stuff out until the week we started, but I am still counting those days and hours.  :)  I started this early because my younger kids wanted to homeschool after my oldest did for 6 months, and I wanted to do a trial run.  Well, we really just kept going after that because once you start, who wants to put it on hold for another month or so and have to do the start up stuff all over?  I'm being really laid back this year because I have the 5 at home and we're still trying to figure things out.  My oldest has to do testing this year, though (5th grade), so I'm a little nervous about that!  Now, I've heard of some people finishing all their requirements and whatever curriculum they've chosen in like April or whatnot, so if you wanted to start a new school year in May, I'm not sure how that would work.  It seems to me that you can advance your kids academically, but you can still only fulfill one school year's requirements for time and such in one calendar year.  Does that make sense?

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Right.  I think everything is overwhelming as you're starting out because it's the unknown.  But as you get moving, it gets better.

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 31, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Home school laws in Colorado (includes recent changes)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts