Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Help! He says he wants to go to school.
July 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

My six year old has some great big misconceptions that make him want to go to school. 

1. He thinks that he'll get away with not doing the work because there will be 20 other kids to answer the questions too.

2.  He thinks that there is a field trip every day, like on the Magic School Bus, Sid the Science Kid, and other cartoons.

3.  He thinks that school is mostly playing on the playground because he sees the kids there when we pass to go to our co-op.

4.  He thinks he can still be in the co-op play because his brothers will still be homeschooled.

5.  He thinks that school will be easier than homeschool.

AND 6. He thinks he'll still be able to sleep in and I can "just" drive him to school when he wakes up.

So my oldest suggested that we make a "card chart" for him just like at the B&M.  Instead of cojoling (and begging and pleading) for him to do the work, behave, whatever; I should just flip his card and take away his play time.  I should set the alarm and wake him up like he had to when he went to B&M. 

Levi only works with other adults that are able to let things slide that I just can't/won't, so he thinks he'll get away with more from a teacher than he will with me.  BUT I can let things slide that a teacher with 20 more students just can't.  I don't know how I can explain this in a way he'll understand. 

It started Monday at the co-op.  He told Mrs. Hook that he was thinking of going to the B&M this year.  She knew that no arrangements had been made and that we had paid our dues for the whole family this year, so she told him that she would have to recast his part.  Then she asked him a bunch of questions so that she could give me the list above, his misconceptions of the local ps.

Anyway, any suggestions?  He will NOT be going to the local PS.  No way, no how!!  But I do want to explain to him why we make the decisions we do, why he stays home, and why this is not something I will let him choose for himself at this age.

Replies

• Leissaintexas
    August 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

You don't have to make him understand why you make the choices you do. You are the parent.  Small children don't get to make big decisions. Just tell him that.

• bluerooffarm
    August 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

You don't have to make him understand why you make the choices you do. You are the parent.  Small children don't get to make big decisions. Just tell him that.

Our house doesn't run like that.  We explain the decisions we make so that they are better equipped to make their own choices later.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN