Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
Do you use any situation as teachable moments?
July 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

One of my best friends lives in Pennsylvania. They have a lot of those Scottish/Celtic or medieval festivals in the summer that they go to.

I was looking at her pictures on facebook and my kiddo was fascinated by the costumes. My friend had even upload a small video clip of one of the bands playing music complete with bagpipes.

My little guy was so interested that we started looking stuff up. I turned it into a teachable moment.

Do you do things like that? Just when something random sparks an interest and you immediately capitalize on it to teach them something?

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yep, all the time.  Even before I decided to homeschool him we did things like that.  He would ask me about something and if I didn't have an answer we went and looked it up which usually led to looking other things up.  We love doing that kind of spontaneous research.  It doesn't feel like learning to him, even though I know it is.

• debramommyof4
    July 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes we do.  We are learning all the time.

• FootballFan12
    July 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes! Exactly this. 

It has taken ME a while to learn, that things don't always have to feel like a lesson.

Quoting kmath:

Yep, all the time.  Even before I decided to homeschool him we did things like that.  He would ask me about something and if I didn't have an answer we went and looked it up which usually led to looking other things up.  We love doing that kind of spontaneous research.  It doesn't feel like learning to him, even though I know it is.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM

It is amazing to me what they can soak up without even trying!

Quoting FootballFan12:

Yes! Exactly this. 

It has taken ME a while to learn, that things don't always have to feel like a lesson.

Quoting kmath:

• Bluecalm
    July 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    All the time. It's fun for both of us. I always did that teaching in ps too.
  • Leissaintexas
    July 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Congratulations, you just unschooled. LOL.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

All the time, that is what unschooling is!

• bluerooffarm
    July 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Yep.  All the time.  We stopped the day the birds hatched outside the window.  We stopped and studied the map at the bike trail on Sunday.  We just drop what we are doing many of the times the boys ask a question.

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Yes.  Life is full of teachable moments. 

• Cafe MichelleP
    July 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I didn't know what unschooling was until I joined this group. Glad you discovered fun and unexpected ways to teach.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN