Homeschooling Moms

FootballFan12
Do you use any situation as teachable moments?
July 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

One of my best friends lives in Pennsylvania. They have a lot of those Scottish/Celtic or medieval festivals in the summer that they go to.

I was looking at her pictures on facebook and my kiddo was fascinated by the costumes. My friend had even upload a small video clip of one of the bands playing music complete with bagpipes.

My little guy was so interested that we started looking stuff up. I turned it into a teachable moment.

Do you do things like that? Just when something random sparks an interest and you immediately capitalize on it to teach them something?

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM

yes we do stuff like that,everything is a learning thing here!

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yes, and my dd10 rolls her eyes at me and says, "Mom we aren't in school right now!" She does that because I am a voracious learner myself and I am ALWAYS doing this. She thinks I'm totally out of control! LOL

• KickButtMama
    July 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Constantly! Its one of my favorite things about child-led learning! Last year my FIL had knee replacement surgery. My DH mowed his lawn while he healed. Once, DH found what he thought was a larger rock, turned out it was an uncracked goose egg! My kids brought it home and researched the heck out of it - our cat even slept on it for a couple of days, then it started cracking as the inside began decomposing and I drew the educational line in the sand on keeping the thing around any longer..lol..

• coala
    by coala
    August 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I did that today in the grocery store about a conversation I was having with someone in line.  I have been teaching my children that we save and buy what we want and to not borrow money (use credit cards) to do so.  I took that explanation into the car and showed her on a calulator how using a credit card to purchase something for $6,000 + 18% interest would be.  She was SHOCKED to say the least.  She is only 7, but learning very valuable lessons at an early age.

• FootballFan12
    August 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

That is such a GREAT lesson for them to learn young. These are things, I never would have thought of. 

I love this group..lol

Quoting coala:

I did that today in the grocery store about a conversation I was having with someone in line.  I have been teaching my children that we save and buy what we want and to not borrow money (use credit cards) to do so.  I took that explanation into the car and showed her on a calulator how using a credit card to purchase something for $6,000 + 18% interest would be.  She was SHOCKED to say the least.  She is only 7, but learning very valuable lessons at an early age.

Homeschooling Moms