Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
How much should a 6 year old socialize alone?
July 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

We're in the middle of the evaluation on my 6 year old with the psychologist who doesn't like hsing. She seems hung up on him not going out and doing things alone. She sent more paperwork to fill out, a lot about him being out in the community and now I'm second guessing myself. He just finished Kindergarten and attended the feeder school to the school where I taught which was 45 minutes from home so any playdates had to be arranged by the moms and we usually went to the zoo or something. He plays at the park regularly and has gone swimming 3-4 times a week this summer where he plays with whoever is there, no making friends or exchanging numbers. The form asked what clubs he belongs to and how often he goes. He went to Bible Club at church every week last year but they cut out the younger kids' program. He goes to Children's Church each Sunday. He also just got a part in the church musical so he'll have practices. We just joined several hs groups in this area and he'll be going to a weekly meetup at the playground plus field trips but I'll be with him. Even if he got into Cub Scouts, a parent has to attend the meetings. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• mrs.hartman12
    July 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    Some kids are just introverts. I went to public school and am extremely introverted. I still managed to have a career, get married and am having my 3rd baby. You can't make unsocial people be social. It sounds like your gving him opportunities and p;leanty of them. Just keep doing what your doing and maybe find a new psyciotrist.
  • TJandKarasMom
    July 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I think you are offering him plenty of social time.  I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all.  Don't let this psychologist make you second guess yourself.  Go with your instincts, I think you are doing a fine job and the fact that you are concerned and aware means you will be sure to get him exposed to groups of kids and playdates, etc.  Don't let this psychologist and her opinion get to you.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    That sounds normal to me.
  • debramommyof4
    July 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM

No you are not.  I would not let my 6 year old go alone to playdates.  She has only spent the night with her 4 year old cousin.  So I see no problem with what you are doing.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Nope, you are doing a great job.  You are giving him plenty of oppurtunities to meet other kids.  At 6 he doesn't need to be alone unless it is someone you trust 100%.  Tell the doc to STFU.  Don't let them make you second guess yourself.  YOU know your child best.  I would be looking at getting a new doc.

• Bluecalm
    July 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    This is shortterm just to get the adhd eval. She's doing an emotional evaluation too while she's at it.

Quoting kmath:

Nope, you are doing a great job.  You are giving him plenty of oppurtunities to meet other kids.  At 6 he doesn't need to be alone unless it is someone you trust 100%.  Tell the doc to STFU.  Don't let them make you second guess yourself.  YOU know your child best.  I would be looking at getting a new doc.

• Leissaintexas
    July 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

You're not doing anything wrong. How many clubs should a 6 yr old belong to, for heavens sake? I'm not sure this dr is well-versed on the social habits of 6 yr olds. It sounds like this doc is just looking for reasons to have an issue. He's 6, not 16. He shouldn't be very many places alone.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Ok, that is different if it is just for the eval.  I definitely wouldn't want to deal with her longterm.  Good luck!

Quoting Bluecalm:

This is shortterm just to get the adhd eval. She's doing an emotional evaluation too while she's at it.

Quoting kmath:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You are doing fine that psychologist is just being a jerk over this! A good parent isn't going to let there 6y/o child go off willy nilly by themselves or with just anyone. Maybe if this was the 1950's that would be different but not now!

• bluerooffarm
    July 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Seriously?  We go to church camp every summer, my kids know nearly every person there, they know the camp like they know our own back yard.  Yet the camp does not allow children under 10 to be without a parent.  That is the way the world works, so your psych is acting like a moron.  Sorry.  This person heard "homeschool" and is thinking "chained in the basement."  I've met those people before.  Don't let this anti-homeschooler make you doubt yourself!  You are totally providing plenty of time socializing!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN