Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
OT: resigning from my job, and got a new one!
July 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I have to go in today or tomorrow to officially resign from my job with the school district! It will be bittersweet. I LOVE the job and the tiny little school and staff of 20. It is the best school around and if my kids could have stayed there, I'm not sure homeschooling would have ever been a thought. Unfortunately it's just prek and k, so they moved on quickly from the best school, lol.

I have been offered another job as an ABA Therapist (kids with Autism seems to be my specialty ;), the position pays nearly 2x what I was making, so I can work half as many hours and still bring home the same amount. The hours are somewhat flexible, and will probably be around 4-5 hrs a day with travel time, so I should still have time and flexibility to HS.

I am a little anxious, but excited to start this next chapter in my life! I know it's totally off topic, but I just wanted to talk to someone about it! Now I just need to tell my mil and then we can go totally public with our decision to HS :)

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    That is so awesome! Congratulations!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM

wow mom sure glad you got another job , and it sounds even better! what do you do with your kids while you work?

• debramommyof4
    July 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM

That is awesome.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

That is awesome!  Congratulations!

• TJandKarasMom
    July 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    My DH works nights, so he can sleep when I'm home since I won't work many hours in a day. Or if my hours are midday, I think the kids are old enough to handle being "alone" for a few hours. At their age (10 and 11) I was home after school while my dad slept and my mom worked and I watched my little brother. So I think they can handle it since they are close in age and neither will be responsible for the other. They will have school work to work on while I'm gone, which they can do together or in their rooms alone if they need alone time.

If it doesn't work at all then I may look into swapping sitting time with another mom or something. There is the possibility after a while that I can bring them with me as well. I used to do a similar job and the family was very open to my kids joining in my teaching or sitting in the other room quietly while I worked with the little girl. I also should have some flexibility so I can try to make my hours align better with DHs waking hours. So there are some back up plans, which I think is always a good thing!

DH HATES working nights, so if he finds a different job or moves to a day shift, then we may need to rethink things. There is no law in my state about when kids can stay home alone, but I'm not sure when I will be comfortable leaving them alone completely.

Quoting oredeb:

wow mom sure glad you got another job , and it sounds even better! what do you do with your kids while you work?

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM

That is great!

• gacgbaker
    July 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Congrats! 

• kirbymom
    July 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    Awesome!! That is so exciting. What does the family(hubby kids) think of the new job?
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

That's incredible.  Congrats!

• TJandKarasMom
    July 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    Thanks!

The kids are pretty happy, they know my income helps us do fun stuff and not worry too much about bills, I don't make a lot, but I make life a little easier when I work(they know typically summers are rough on us bc I don't work in the summer). And they are old enough to understand that this job will make hsing easier for all of us since I will still have time to HS and do field trips and stuff, and a little money to help pay for that stuff.

DH is fine no matter what I decide to do, he is very supportive of everything I do, he's pretty awesome. I do think he's a little jealous though that I am getting the choice to ony work pt, but he supports it at the same time if that makes sense. He knows why I'm doing it, but if I made this much per hour working full time, we could buy a house sooner. I will be making quite a bit more than him per hour too, so that's kind of hard for him I think, but his paychecks will still be bigger than mine. He is still the bigger bread winner and while he would never admit it, I do think its kind of important to him to be the main provider. He was out of work for 3 years at one point and it was really hard for him to be so dependent on me (it was hard for me too). It's also a job I enjoy doing while he has a job he hates working a shift he hates for not very good pay. So I do think he is jealous of my opportunity, but he is happy for me and supportive as well. Poor guy and his mixed emotions ;)

Quoting kirbymom:

Awesome!! That is so exciting. What does the family(hubby kids) think of the new job?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts