Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
oredeb
How do you teach more than one grade level?
by oredeb
July 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM

hints and ideas about teaching more than one grade level at a time?

Replies

• mhaney03
    July 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    They only have separate math and English. History, science, art, and pretty much everything else is done together.
  • rosiemarie
    July 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    I would say approach it not as different grade level but more as differentiation of instruction
    It will be easier for you to plan.
  • TJandKarasMom
    July 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    I have no idea. But my plan is to keep them together for science, history,art, music, bible, and sign language. They have much different math, spelling, grammar, and writing levels. Their writing assignments will be similar (mostly from history and science, and some art and music), but higher expectations for my older one. One will do something independently while I teach the other math, then they'll switch...same for spelling and grammar. At least that's the plan. Lol
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    We did loosely last year, and will loosely again this year. I have a prek and 3rd grader. Then of course there is the baby. :) I try to consolidate the lessons and make them work together so I don't have a bunch of completely different things to teach.
  • bluerooffarm
    July 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I use the Beck method of vocabulary so that I can even combine literature for all of my elementary kids.  Since I then have to use quality books, they work for all of my elementary kids. 

I use a mailbox and write letters back and forth to my oldest.  That way I can spend the time talking with my youngest 2 about what we are covering while the oldest is writing me a letter.  Oldest is learning to answer questions in full sentences, writing in paragraphs, letter format, and it's FUN!

Covering the same topics in Science and history are wild because you realize that the younger ones understand much more than you would think.

Having the kids "teach" or work on flashcards or read to the younder ones gives them a bump in self-confidence, and gives you a needed break to grade a paper or respond to a letter.

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Much like the old  one room school house: The following articles do not have your topic as the main subject, but give examples of how I teach several different ages at the same time. 

Whole Brain Teaching

Age Grading Is A bad Idea

• celticdragon77
    July 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I don't. My kids are close enough in age. I am teaching at the lowest common denominator and progressing from there. Sure, my son will likely be a bit bored for the next few months - but I think it will be okay - we'll see.

• J9Mommy
    by J9Mommy
    July 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I'm still trying to figure that out. LOL.

This year will be prek, 3rd, and 6th. I am already pulling my hair out !

Like the first poster, I really only do separate language and math. My oldest is even doing a different 'brand' math than his sister, because Singapore was not working for him.

• hipmomto3
    July 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My kids are 3 and 1 year apart (so this year I'll have a 1st grader, 2nd grader, and 5th grader).

We do Sonlight core - so they all do the same stuff for read-alouds, history, and geography. At least until this year... this year I am having the 5th grader do a different core because I feel it's too advanced for the 1st and 2nd graders - those two will be doing core B+C combined. We've covered SOME of it before when the oldest was on that core, but it's always fine to revisit things!

Then they have their own grade level math, reading, etc. 

We do workboxes so how we normally do it, we start the day with individual work (after calendar and anything we're memorizing at the  moment). That's in their workboxes. They have workbooks, manipulatives, art projects, assignments to read or do (like 'practice piano'), in their workboxes. When those are all done we take a break, and then we do whatever we're doing all together. Like last year we were doing Lewis & Clark so after our mid-morning break, they'd grab a snack and their notebooks and I'd read a chapter aloud to them from a book, then we'd watch a segment of the L&C documentary on PBS. We also do read-alouds at bedtime sometimes.

• AllofFive19
    July 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM

We do worksheets. They basically work on the same things, just different levels. Like a time worksheet, the younger set tell half-hour, the medium set tell 15-5 minutes, and the older set tell minutes.

An editing worksheet, the younger set would worry about puncuation, the medium set would worry about puncuation and capitalization, and the older set would worry about those two, plus spelling.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN