Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
StepDucky
This will be our first yr homeschooling... HELP!!!
July 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM

My ds is 11 yrs old and is going into the 6th grade. We decided to homeschool him this year, and I really need some help figuring out where I need to start. I  live in tx, have found out all the laws and what I need to go by. 

At first we thought we were going to use connections academy or k12, but the more I looked into those, the less I liked them. I want him to be able to go at his own pace. 

Which curriculum have y'all enjoyed working with? Being my first year, I do want to follow a curriculum that's already put together because I want to make sure his education is well rounded. 

Wht did you enjoy about the curriculum? And do you have any helpful tips or advice for me? 

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM

What are your reasons for home educating your child, and do you know his learning style? These things make a big difference in what type of curriculum you will want. 

• StepDucky
    July 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM

He is bipolar and add. He doesn't do we'll in big groups learning. He's always had trouble in math, unless he has someone one on one teaching him. He flys though reading and science. He likes to be hands on, I still want to use textbooks and materials of that nature. He is a kinesthetic learner.

In the next few months, my husband and I will be doing a lot of traveling.  We want him to be with us and learn about all the other cultures out there. This is a once in a lifetime experience.

We just decided this would be best for him, but to tell you the truth and I am SO overwhelmed by it all. Lol I want to make sure he excels and doesn't fall behind, since I really don't know what I'm doing. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You already know some very important things about your child. 

• He is a hands on learner, and bipolar .  Whole brain teaching  (physically involving him in the learning process with real life experiences, and games) actually improves the health of the brain.  With a little imagination, you can turn your travel adventures into learning experiences.
    • Connect with other home educators of bipolar children.
    • Many new home educators express the fear that they will leave something out, so they cling to the Conventional Method which is left brain teaching (workbooks, lectures, sit down at a desk type of teaching).  But you are telling me that this has not worked for your son...at least not in  in math.  So look to whole brain teaching, and use grade level requirements to guide you.  But a word of caution.  Age grading is a bad idea, because it is a one size fits all approach.  Instead find out what level your child is at in math, and start there.  Use whole brain teaching to teach this skill advancing only when he has mastered that level well enough to enable  him to understand the next level. He is in competition with no one but himself. 
  • AmyMamie
    July 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My son is also a kinesthetic learner, so the curriculum I've found to be great for this is Timberdoodle.  They provide so many hands-on and fun ways to learn!  The reviewers rave about these curriculum packages, at every grade level.  

• StepDucky
    July 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I'm currently looking at Oak Meadow... Is anyone using this curriculum?

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM

The following article is a bit technical, but it explains how important it is to teach to the whole brain, and not to just parts of it.  The brain is wired to remember what it experiences.  Understanding A Brain Based Approach To Learning And Teaching (PDF)

• StepDucky
    July 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Thanks! I will add that to my reading list!

Quoting romacox:

The following article is a bit technical, but it explains how important it is to teach to the whole brain, and not to just parts of it.  The brain is wired to remember what it experiences.  Understanding A Brain Based Approach To Learning And Teaching (PDF)

• maggiemom2000
    July 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Check out time4learing.com

My boys do really well on the computer and the lessons are very engaging. I found I needed to supplement with hands on activities and books so that not everything was on the computer, but it gives you a good "core" to build on.

I like that the grade levels are flexible, so if your child is above or below grade level in an area they can work at that level. As a 6th grader your child would automatically have access to all of the 5th, 6th,, and 7th grade lessons, and you can request to change in any area as needed.

• kirbymom
    July 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM
    Hi! :)
    Have you taken the time with your son to just relax and enjoy each other? Homeschooling is such a wonderful way to learn, educate and grow up. And give yourself some credit already. You have been his teacher for his whole life and he isn't screwed up yet. :)
  • StepDucky
    July 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Thanks :) he's an amazing boy and I just want the best for him! And yes, we are very close, we have a blast together!!

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi! :)
    Have you taken the time with your son to just relax and enjoy each other? Homeschooling is such a wonderful way to learn, educate and grow up. And give yourself some credit already. You have been his teacher for his whole life and he isn't screwed up yet. :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN