Homeschooling Moms

armygirl16
When does your school year officially start?
July 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM
When does your school year start officially? DD starts kindergarten this year and I'm ordering her curriculum (Memoria Press) next week. The only problem is we are moving from Oregon to Texas on August 31st. Well that's when we start driving. It would be a few days before getting to Texas. Then comes unpacking and whatnot. I'm trying to figure out if I should start before we move or after?

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I am starting August 12th.  The PS here starts the 15th so it works out.

I would start after you get moved.  I just think it would be too hectic any other way.

• swim-mom72
    July 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

We started this past Wednesday!!

I say start BEFORE the move.

• omiestutz
    July 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

We never stopped. Than again we didn't start on this curriculum until April. It took us some trial and error to find the curriculum that we liked. (S.O.S by Alpha Omega)

I would start school after you moved and for settled. Less chaotic I would think.

• bluerooffarm
    July 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

We started on July 3rd.  We only take a short break for summer (3 weeks this year) and plan on taking the month of December "off" for Christmas break.

I'd say start before with just little things.

• armygirl16
    July 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM

LOL so 2 say before and 2 say after.  :) I was thinking of starting before to get things going and then take a week break after a couple weeks to move and then continue on.  I could even have her do some stuff during our road trip to keep her entertained.  She is very excited to start school.  Public school here starts in September but we are moving to TX and I have no idea when it starts there.  I plan on doing year round schooling anyway...this is just our first year, officially, so I have to start sometime!

• LostTheSlipper
    July 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We started July 1.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    July 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    Kinder should be a relaxed fun year. The social studies curriculum in our area for.kinder.is learning about your family and the town you live in.

I would not officially start a fill curriculum but play educational games. Maybe learn facts about where you are moving to and compare it to the area you live now.... Weather/climate, population, landforms/terrain, that sort of thing.

Take a week or two when you get there to settle in and maybe do some sightseeing then jump into your actual curriculum.
  • armygirl16
    July 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM

LOL we already did that.  I haven't really stopped for the summer or anything.  She learned the capitals of Oregon and Texas, plus all the state facts (tree, bird, mamal, motto etc).  She also made flags of each state.  I also had her learn some history of Texas (alamo etc).  I haven't compared climates yet though.  I could do that too.  

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I would not officially start a fill curriculum but play educational games. Maybe learn facts about where you are moving to and compare it to the area you live now.... Weather/climate, population, landforms/terrain, that sort of thing.

Take a week or two when you get there to settle in and maybe do some sightseeing then jump into your actual curriculum.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    July 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Oh, add in the states you will be driving through and work on geography and map skills.
  • billiejo79
    July 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    We aren't starting until Sept 3rd.

Homeschooling Moms