Homeschooling Moms

mommy2kaelynn
HELP!!! Need Free Curriculum Plan till I can Order the one I want!
July 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hi All,

OK, I was all decided on Moving Beyond the Page for my 6 year old going into 1st grade daughter, but this summer has been bad for us financially (MAJOR car repairs, hospital visits, etc.) and now I can't afford it. Also, someone recently posted that it is VERY writing heavy, and my daughter had a speech delay and is not reading yet - writing is also a painstakingly hard process! (she may be dyslexic, but no diagnosis yet)

SO.....Now I need things I can do with her, and SOME kind of lesson plan/curriculum to follow to start us out. We follow the local school district as close as we can for start dates, holidays, days off, etc. and we follow the part of the district that is year round, so we start next Monday - July 29th!!!!

We have memberships to - Reading Eggs, Math Seeds, Ooka Island, ABC Mouse (for another month), Brain Pop Jr, and Time4Learning. She likes all of them but ABC Mouse really - so I will renew those as we need to. I also got a free membership to Grammaropolis (lifetime) which we might start using this year.

I also ordered her the Magic Schoolbus Science kits last year but never used them, so Science is covered.

I had been planning on adding Explode the Code online (to help her with reading), and trying to decide between Math U See or Math Mammoth for Math.

For Teacher Resources I have memberships (ending mostly in October) from last year at:

ABC Teach 
Enchanted Homeschool Mom 
LessonPix 
Enchanted Learning 

and use Teachers Pay Teachers, & Teachers Notebook for pay as I go. 

Okay - so to make it a LONGER, more rambling post - 

Reading/Language Arts - ?

Math - Math U See or Math Mammoth, or something better? (she is definitely hands on!, non worksheet focused)

Science - Magic Schoolbus Kits

Social Studies - ?

History - Planning on Ancient History, but no ideas there yet

PE - park days, playdates, etc.

Art/Music - nothing specific - just general seasonal stuff and fun 

We are definitely secular, and I don't want to try to "pick" around religious content. 

Oh, and I purchased the book - Things Your 1st Grader Should Know, but haven't cracked it yet!

I have LOTS of things downloaded, but am feeling VERY overwhelmed with the idea of having to plan it all out!

Sorry to be so long-winded, and thanks for any help!

Chandra

Replies

• RADmomma
    July 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    Following!
  • mem82
    by mem82
    July 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Have you looked up the Easy Peasy Homeschool Curriculum? It's free.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

im overwelmed! when are you gona do all that!hahahahahah

sounds like you have everything you need plus!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

This is what I thought too after reading all that!

Quoting oredeb:

im overwelmed! when are you gona do all that!hahahahahah

sounds like you have everything you need plus!!

• AmyMamie
    July 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM

There's also Everything Homeschooling, which only costs $15.95 for the year, and you can then access any grade level.  They have some nice stuff for each subject area, and you could use lower and higher grade levels according to your DD's abilities.  www.everythinghomeschooling.com

• AutymsMommy
    July 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM

You aren't going to find a free guide that includes everything you've chosen.

You can wing this, really.

Do you have ANY money to spend on your missing subjects?

Keep Reading Eggs, drop the other computer programs.

Phonics: Phonics Pathways - this will take your kiddo ALL THE WAY with phonics, and you can buy it used off Amazon (look for a 9th edition) for $5-$10. It's a great program... especially for struggling learners.

You need handwriting. Try Handwriting Without Tears - check the Well Trained Mind Forums classifieds for used copies.

You do NOT need social studies AND history. You can buy Story of the World with the activity book for about $30, if you look for the main book used (and purchase the activity book on Amazon new). Caveat - this isn't secular, per se, but I know many purely secular homeschoolers who use this happily.

Math - Math Mammoth would be much more affordable, but it IS worksheets.

If you go this route:

Phonics Pathways - $10

SOTW - $30

Math Mammoth - $30

You will spend about $70 and your could probably land a handwriting program used for about $20. That keeps you under $100.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 27, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Get your library card out and keep it smokin'!

Really, look up some reading lists for the age. Read!

Practice handwriting daily--just some short copywork.

Use ETC and expand on it. Sonlight has some great reading lists that are secular for beginning readers--like Little Bear and Frog and Toad. Skip the Bible readers.

Math--get some flash cards and drill the addition/subtract facts. Have her sort items by size and color. Have her represent the facts with manipulatives. Teach her to tell time to the half hour. Teach her some very basic measurements. Have her invent measurements---like how many paperclips long is this table? etc.

Science is covered...add library books for support of the concepts.

Social studies/history is really not important at this age. Focus on holidays and calendar (math tie-in) and teach about famous people. In between, teach about the local community, jobs, etc. That could be covered by field trips to farms, post office, fire station, etc. 

• celticdragon77
    July 27, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Here goes my long ramble of know it all advice that isn't worth a damn...

How much are you paying for online educational sites?! Nevermind. Just forgo those and spend the money on actual decent affordable curriculum materials. I could go into a long spew about what passive learning does to the brain, but I will skip ahead. 

Use the library, find a used homeschool store (or websites that sell used homeschool materials), use FREE internet resources... and you should be good to go. 

Go with Math Mammoth!!! Add in an interactive math journal (find free resources), some living math books (check the library or used resources - there is a website called living math that will be useful), manipulatives - you can make most of these - or find them cheap, khan.com, youtube, games, hands on activities and projects related to math, critical thinking challenges...  

Start with the Ancient History! Buy a decent encyclopedia for spine and timeline to work off of. Use the public library to fill in. History pockets on evan moor are cheap - as are ancient history coloring books from dover publishing - check out amazon or rainbow resources to find these at affordable prices. Look up "notebooking" - it is excellent for every subject. Tie in art and music into history. Give writing assignments based on age of child. You can get creative and make your own projects, worksheets, etc. You can google for this stuff - just google the topic presently being explored. Pinterest is always a handy site - but many people now charge for their tid bits put up on there. I don't bother with that. There is too much free stuff to allow myself to be nickeled and dimed like that. 

Science - Again, much of the history stuff applies here. Nature walks, local field guides, a nature journal, a experiments data notebook, and more... 

English... ehh... who knows, we LOVE MCT and would not go without it. 

Phonics - depends on how much you need. I am using LOE - It is good in my opinion. I don't think we needed all of this tho - and it costs a freaking fortune. My son HATES it!!! My daughter likes it. Explode The Code didn't work for us - but it works for many and is cheap. I think books like "the ordinary parents guide to reading" or "100 easy lessons..." are decent affordable options!! IF they teach the rules!!! I am a strickler about this! That All About Spelling would be good, I believe as well. I think the All About Reading is likely a scam to get more money out of parents, because the AAS should be enough. 

There are some books called "....Book Of Lists" and "The Complete Book Of..." - there is a series of both - and they are quite excellent. A search on Amazon should find it. I am too lazy to go find the post where I JUST posted the links to these items up at. It was somewhere here in this group and the person was talking about free websites for homeschooling... something similar to your post. 

Anyways, this all of the junk emptyied from one womans brain... Hopefully something of worth can be dug out of it all. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 27, 2013 at 6:37 AM

mommy2kaylen, don't take offense to this.  But computer games teach several of the following sounds incorrectly:  B,c,d, g, h, j, k, p, t, w, .They add the u sound at t he end of  these letters.    For example, we do not say,  du-a-du-y for daddy, and we do not say hu-a-pu-y for happy.  As a result, for many children, they know their phonic sounds, but find it difficult to blend  the sounds to form words.  They  either can't read, or are slow readers.

So it is important to teach the sounds yourself,  so you are sure they are pronouncing them correctly.  Getting the basics correct is hghly important for future success.  Following are some free videos for adults so that you are sure about how they need to be pronounced.  

Free Phonic Sounds (for adults)

You can create your own lesson plans:   How To Create Lesson Plans has a link to Free Lesson Plan Library, and free lesson plan ideas.  

• PurpleCupcake
    July 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Library and thrift stores..

90% of my stuff comes from thrift stores. It takes more planning on my part..but getting $50 textbooks for $2 is worth it imo. 

At her age, you'll find a ton of math and reading curriculum. 

Also check out spectrum workbooks. They're cheap and I can get approx. 70 daily lessons out of each. 

Homeschooling Moms