Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
armygirl16
Board gaming as an educational resource. (Lots of pics)
July 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Our family is HUGE on board gaming.  It is a part of our daily lives.  We started gaming in May and my husband and myself have over 120 game plays since then so far!  Our daughter also loves to play.  We started her off with Catan: Junior.  At first it was difficult for her to think about her moves ahead of time and grasp how she should play (she knew what to do but not how the best way to go about doing it was).  Since then her gaming background has grown.  Along with this her critical thinking and problem solving skills grew a LOT.  

What does she play? Olivia plays: Catan: Junior, Lord of the Ring (kids version by eagle games), Sleeping Queens, Carcassonne, Enchanted Forest, Hey! That's my fish, Snail pace race, Agricola (which is not a kid game), King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride, Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Dungeon!, and more I can't think of now.  She also loves trying to learn to play chess on her nook.  

We don't play your typical commercial board games (no monopoly, sorry, or trouble).  We like to play strategy games that make you think and plan ahead.  I plan on incorperating board gaming into our daughter's education and using it as an alternate educational resource. 

I just thought I would share if anyone was interested in game suggestions for kids let me know!  

Oh and on another note, I don't pay much attention to "manufacture suggested age" for the games.  Some of the games Our 4 1/2 year old plays are rated for 10 and up and she understands to play them just fine.  Sleeping Queens for example is rated for 8 and up but it is a SUPER easy card game to play for kids (even adults too). 

Catan: Junior

Carcassonne the Discovery (below)

Forbidden Island (below)

Agricola (below)

Dungeon!

And....King of Tokyo :) 

Replies

• Precious333
    July 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM
    Cute! My kids are almost 7, 5, almost 3, we have several math games, word games, and classics. Thier new favorites are checkers, chess, uno and war :)
  • marrionsmommy
    July 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM
    Is she an only child? Wondering because my 6 year old is an only so its soooo annoying for him to try to play board games thatn where meant for 4 or 5 people. Generally it would be just him and me but I would love to find a game he can play on his own. He can mostly play chess but other than that we dont play any board games because he is the only one to play. Any recommendations?
  • unsuspected
    July 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM
    Awesome!
    Any suggestions for a Ten year old boy and five year old b/g twins to play together? I've been wanting to branch out from our brand name games.
  • armygirl16
    July 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Catan: Junior has a 2 player side to the board and scales to 4 people if you flip the board over.  I really like that game and so does Olivia.  

Forbidden Island is one that my 7 year old cousin loved and my daughter loves as well.  It is a co-op game, so you work together to try to capture all the treasures before the island sinks (it can be hard to win but it is still fun).  It also plays well with 2.  

Also Sleeping Queens works as a 2 player game as well.  You basically have 12 (I believe) Queens that are face down that are worth different points.  You have to either wake 5 up or 50 points worth.  You can do this with King cards or steal another players queen with a knight (although they can block you with a dragon card....etc).  

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Is she an only child? Wondering because my 6 year old is an only so its soooo annoying for him to try to play board games thatn where meant for 4 or 5 people. Generally it would be just him and me but I would love to find a game he can play on his own. He can mostly play chess but other than that we dont play any board games because he is the only one to play. Any recommendations?

• armygirl16
    July 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Castle Panic comes to mind first! It is a co-op game (so less fighting) where you try to defeat all the monster tokens before the monsters invade your castle.  It is a very fun game and works well for multiple players of varying ages.  

King of Tokyo is also very fun and great for all ages.  My daughter turns 5 next month and her birthday cake is going to be a King of Tokyo cake.  Anyway King of Tokyo involves rolling dice and choosing certain ones to keep to benefit you.  You win by getting 20 vicrory points or by defeating all the other players.  

Ticket to Ride may be fun for all as well.  It isn't too dificult to understand.  Plus it involves trains and building routs across different maps.  

Also String Railway is a super easy game where you draw a station tile and try to build a continuous "train" out of colored shoelaces.  I played this during one of our game nights and it was very fun.  I have not played it with my daughter but I bet she would like it.  

Quoting unsuspected:

Awesome!
    Any suggestions for a Ten year old boy and five year old b/g twins to play together? I've been wanting to branch out from our brand name games.

• armygirl16
    July 26, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Oh and yes, she is an only child...so far (been trying almost 2 years for another).  

Quoting marrionsmommy:

• unsuspected
    July 26, 2013 at 1:36 AM
    Great, I'll check those out. Thank you. :-)

Quoting armygirl16:

Castle Panic comes to mind first! It is a co-op game (so less fighting) where you try to defeat all the monster tokens before the monsters invade your castle.  It is a very fun game and works well for multiple players of varying ages.  

King of Tokyo is also very fun and great for all ages.  My daughter turns 5 next month and her birthday cake is going to be a King of Tokyo cake.  Anyway King of Tokyo involves rolling dice and choosing certain ones to keep to benefit you.  You win by getting 20 vicrory points or by defeating all the other players.  

Ticket to Ride may be fun for all as well.  It isn't too dificult to understand.  Plus it involves trains and building routs across different maps.  

Also String Railway is a super easy game where you draw a station tile and try to build a continuous "train" out of colored shoelaces.  I played this during one of our game nights and it was very fun.  I have not played it with my daughter but I bet she would like it.  

Quoting unsuspected:

Awesome!

• armygirl16
    July 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I'm getting my daughter a beginner chess set for her birthday next month.  She has been trying so hard to beat the computer on her nook (but the computer is rediculously good).  Olivia has boggle junior as well, which got her interested in spelling EVERYTHING lol.  I am also getting her "math dice' for her birthday.  

Quoting Precious333:

Cute! My kids are almost 7, 5, almost 3, we have several math games, word games, and classics. Thier new favorites are checkers, chess, uno and war :)

• armygirl16
    July 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I forgot to mention Carcassonne and possibly Mice and Mystics. :)

Quoting unsuspected:

Great, I'll check those out. Thank you. :-)

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting unsuspected:

Awesome!

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 26, 2013 at 6:13 AM

That is excellent armygirl116, Workbooks, flashcards, sit down at a desk school is left brain teaching.  But physically involving the child in the learning process (Games)  is whole brain teaching.  Children learn faster, retain more, remain interested in learning, and it even improves the health of the brain.  Way to go girl.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN