Replies

• lovelylady83
    September 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Sorry Not sure How i missed that LOL 

http://forms.hmhco.com/virtualsampling/vs-registration.php?code=mathinfocus

Quoting .Lvmybabies.:

What's the website?

Quoting lovelylady83:

Go to this site and register for the virtual sample as a (homeschool teacher I think is how I did it) ... Instantly you will have access to ALL the books on all grade levels and its free... It is basically an easier to understand singapore math... with great teachers guides etc... There is a  transitions guide to help transition from other math programs... this may help...

Quoting Precious333:

Singapore helps them think.of numbers in different ways, it has a lot of.pictures as.well, and i believe it spirals a bit too (we just started it). My son is going on to second grade, and we didnt do many workbooks in the past.

Quoting mem82:

How does Singapore work?

Quoting Precious333:

I dont know, but yesterday i was.rethinking the curriculum we are using for math. We are using singapore, and my son was very frustrated.

• hipmomto3
    September 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I have no idea. How do any of you know where your child is in relation to public school peers? Maybe your states require some kind of testing? I wouldn't have any clue how to find out. But I don't really care to, either. I mean, I know they are learning more this week than they knew last week, that's what matters. :)

FWIW - re: Singapore, we did it last year, HATED it. It's incredibly difficult. For comparison, the Singapore 3rd grade stuff was more difficult than the Saxon 5th grade stuff. We are doing Saxon this year and they are breezing through it - I almost feel it's TOO easy, but we'll still work through it and just move up faster if needed (we're doing 2 lessons/day with my younger two because there isn't a lot to it). 

• hipmomto3
    September 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I also don't understand how a child can be behind in history. It's not really a mastered skill like math (and some science). 

We have covered ancient civilizations (Greece, Egypt, China, etc), then we started on early American history (1400s-1800) and this year we are on American History from about 1800 to now. We're right at the Civil War (eight weeks into the semester).

Our plan with history is to repeat it three times throughout their school years, because we might focus on different things at different times, or have opportunities to visit places at different times. This year we have the chance to go to a civil war reenactment, for example. So by coming back to these points in history as the kids get older, they will remember parts of when we studied before, and add to it. We use Sonlight and this is their philosophy. It makes total sense. I don't even remember learning ANYTHING about the Civil War until high school, other than what it meant. I learned very little history in elementary - mainly stuff about state history. Here, they start small, like "My Community" in K, then slowly expand until you're at county, state, then country. But all that meant was learning the states and capitals in 5th grade. There was almost no mention of other countries or cultures until middle or high school. 

• Jlee4249
    September 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM

sadly, math is the only thing I feel they're ahead in... my 7 year old has begun long division.  
    My 4 year old is still doing basic addition and subtraction.  He also reads (and spells) way beyond his age.  

But science I think I may always feels we're lacking... 
    I don't like the public school standards.  Given that what my two oldest know and understand, being on par with public school math and reading standards would make me feel like a failure.  

• bluerooffarm
    September 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yes!  Since we cover things that I never covered in history in PS and I've never heard of anyone else covering, I would say we are always ahead, right?

Quoting paganbaby:

Right? I'm not sure how you can be ahead or behind in history and science. We learn both, just not at the same time PS is teaching it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Nope, ahead in math and science.  Now history is a tough one.  Our local PS does history as:  K-1st they sporadically cover a bit of American history like native Americans at Thanksgiving, Columbus on Columbus Day ETC.  Then in 2nd and 3rd they cover Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, The Yellow River settlements in China and the Indus Valley in India.  Then 4th and 5th cover American history to the Civil War.  In 6th they do Pennsylvania history and government.  I disagree with this crazy jumping around, so we started right out with early Civ and we have actually covered the Mideival times, Charlamagne, and the Vikings.  We'll soon reach America and cover it right in the timeline (where it belongs IMO).  So I have no idea how anyone can determine who is ahead or behind in history, KWIM?

• Ebonyjewel28
    September 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    Yes mine are, but we have time to catch up! They learn better in the home environment so I'm not worried.
  • paganbaby
    September 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Us too! My son is fascinated with Greek Gods and Goddesses so we're a whole book on it. I don't ever remember learning about them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes!  Since we cover things that I never covered in history in PS and I've never heard of anyone else covering, I would say we are always ahead, right?

Quoting paganbaby:

Right? I'm not sure how you can be ahead or behind in history and science. We learn both, just not at the same time PS is teaching it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Nope, ahead in math and science.  Now history is a tough one.  Our local PS does history as:  K-1st they sporadically cover a bit of American history like native Americans at Thanksgiving, Columbus on Columbus Day ETC.  Then in 2nd and 3rd they cover Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, The Yellow River settlements in China and the Indus Valley in India.  Then 4th and 5th cover American history to the Civil War.  In 6th they do Pennsylvania history and government.  I disagree with this crazy jumping around, so we started right out with early Civ and we have actually covered the Mideival times, Charlamagne, and the Vikings.  We'll soon reach America and cover it right in the timeline (where it belongs IMO).  So I have no idea how anyone can determine who is ahead or behind in history, KWIM?

• paganbaby
    September 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM

That's right :-)

Quoting Ebonyjewel28:

Yes mine are, but we have time to catch up! They learn better in the home environment so I'm not worried.

• bluerooffarm
    September 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I did learn the Greek Gods and goddesses, but we skipped all of the mideival times, Charlamagne, and all that and then we ended at WWII....I mean WTH?  Nothing happened from 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's?  That's a lot of years to just forget about.

Quoting paganbaby:

Us too! My son is fascinated with Greek Gods and Goddesses so we're a whole book on it. I don't ever remember learning about them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts