Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
LivandSyd
Hi! I am new to the group AND Homeschooling ...
July 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM
We live in Louisiana, and I will be Homeschooling my daughter (who is 5), for Kindergarten and although from what I have READ, I don't have to "report anything" until she is 7 years of age (?), I would like to Register her, so the School board knows that she IS being home schooled for the purpose of me being able to hand in (whhatever we are "supposed" to hand in at the end of the school year because I don't even know what it is that they REQUIRE??) to show them or so that THEY mark record that she officially passed Kindergarten.

I went and purchased ALPHA/OMEGA SETS for apparently all our Core Curriculum requires for KINDERGARTEN which is Math and one set for Language Arts. I myself went and purchased two extra workbooks for Science and Reading / Writing because I FEEL those are important (?) along with some "supplies" and a JOURNAL for record keeping.

I have no idea where to go from here, I know that the school year here is 180 days, does that mean I have to school her all 180-days or how many HOURS, can I do like a MON-WED-FRI at certain times (?), how do I even break down my days and hours AND SUBJECTS to be organized enough to say, "OK, it's Tuesday, we need to spend this many hours (?) On this subject (?) so that at the end of these 180-days, we aren't behind??

And THEN i have had 2 people ask me (I had NO idea about this at all?) "Where are you signer her up for her social groups and where are YOU taking her on her required field trips for the year, and are you going to get her into a Gymnastics Class or a Mom and Me Art Class?"

Does anyone know what this is about? We are involved in a social group with kids, do many things with her all of the time, but are these things required and then how do I provide proof to the school board and BEST, what if we don't have the MONEY for all of this?

I had more people ask me "what are the books you are going to get her for the 'Required Readin List' for her to pass?" She's in KINDERGARTEN this year, she is just STARTING to read ... and now my head is spinning because I have her core curriculum here, have no idea how to just break down how many hours in how many days we need to spend for her to pass, WHAT THE SCHOOL BOARD will accept as PROOF she passed or proof that SHE did this work and not ME helping her through something I am not supposed to, HOW TO GRADE the TESTS she takes (is it A, B, C, D or done from 100% and down from there, etc.,) and now I hear about all of this ...

The main problem is I get different information wherever I go, and have no ONE PERSON to give me a straight answer, or just a little "help" for even 10 minutes ... even the school board tell me to go to this link, this link and then they say things like, "you can do it however you'd like Ma'am, there are many ways, thanks for calling!" Well, yes I see that everyone does it different, but I would like just these questions answered, especially how to set up a calendar so we know ahead of time what days /hours need to be spent for this 180-days, what I will have to give the school board to show and have them MARK that she passed and with what certain "Letter Grade", and I guess all of the "EXTRA THINGS" I am hearing?

Gosh, I would give my right arm just to break up each day on a big desk calendar to hang on the wall so DD and i know which days are which subjects (obviously, we can change / move things around, but something to GO by) and THAT ALONE would help me so much ...

And the K Core subjects here are MATH and LANGUAGE ARTS, do they not want these children to learn Social Studies? How this Country was Founded? How the American Flag came to be? The pledge of Allegiance? What about a Map of the Continents, different Countries, how to use a Globe of the World, etc? How about the most important, HOW TO WRITE WORDS / SENTENCES?? I am so lost as to why it is only Math and Language Arts ...?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for ANY help anyone can give, I am so frustrated and don't want to be a detriment to my Child ...

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    July 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!  Relax a bit.  She's only in kindergarten!  :-) 

I'm in one of the strictest states (PA) and I don't have to prove anything about socialization.  You can find free groups OR you can join co-ops with membership dues.  BUT if you feel that you are providing enough contact with other humans for her and for you, then you are all set.

You don't need to sign up for gym or art classes outside of your house.  Usually Language arts programs have you read to her, not her read, in kindergarten.  You can start writing WORDs, but leave the sentences to later, when she is ready.

Make yourself a breakdown, if you feel you need it.  BUT remember that Kindergarten is about having FUN and learning through play even more than it is about sitting at a desk and writing letters, etc.  Play games, read to her, sing songs, play rhyming games.  Get used to this homeschooling thing before you start joining groups.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

If you don't have to report until she is 7 don't! The reason is it really could just cause you problems letting them know before the law forces you to!

Learn your homeschool laws from a reliable source not from others especially if those others don't homeschool themselves! This is a link to a post in this group on homeschool laws, the laws for your state are on page 3 1st post. I don't know how accurate the information is but it also has links to other information pertaining to your state, it is a good place to start!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

hahahaha liva!! i think you need to forget all the other stuff you've heard about homeschooling and start anew!!! you will get some great help here! start reading!!!

• motheroffour186
    July 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    WWW.havefunteaching.com
  • romacox
    by romacox
    July 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Most  State Home School Association are a great resource for the following:

1. They keep up with State Laws, and even County laws (if need be)  concerning Home Education

2. support groups for field trips, lesson co-ops,  play days, and more

3.  conventions where you can receive lessons from experienced home educators , network, and view some of the home school curriculum

To find your State Home School Association, click here, scroll down to your State, and you will be given one or more choices..

• LivandSyd
    July 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Wow, thank you all. I will look at some of links, and have read the "Homeschooling Laws". I also printed out a packet from our state - it's called NATIONAL HERITAGE ACADEMIES - KINDERGARTEN CURRICULUM PACKET for state of Louisiana ... if anyone can go and just VIEW this packet, you will see what I am looking at. And if we decide to let her go to "Regular" or Christian School starting 1st grade, she will then be 6 years old - how do we show she got through Kindergarten? That's why we are concerned about making sure we get everything covered. And when you see this Packet, you will see why my "Panties are in a bunch" per se ... it SURE DOESN'T look like "rhymes, songs and learning through fun" when there are so many things she is to be "tested" and reported on? We don't want her to get to where we decide / she decides with us to go into 5th grade, and the School board says, "Nope, with all you are showing us, she is going to be held back to 3rd grade", ya know?
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    July 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    99% of the time, if you every decide to go to public school, they will not test her at all, they will look at what grade she "should" (by her age) be in and plop her there.

I really would suggest you relax. If you want to follow staten standards, that is your choice but certainly not required in homeschooling.

Personally, I like the"what your -- grader needs to know" series and used that on kinder-2nd.

As for the infamous "socialization" issue, each child and each family has different needs. No one can force you to sign your child.up for anything.

Personally, I'm not good at making the kids go out and be active. I do require them to choose a sport that requires them to be in class at least 2x a week. One does karate, the other two do gymnastics. That doesn't mean your family needs this rule. We live in a really bad area so they can't just go out and run around and ride bikes like I did at their age.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I would be more concerned that she will be advanced & they will insist on putting her in the grade that her same age peers are in! Do what feels right but you don't have to fallow the laws until you absolutely have to & that is when she is 7. So until then live & learn the way you have been.

Quoting LivandSyd:

Wow, thank you all. I will look at some of links, and have read the "Homeschooling Laws". I also printed out a packet from our state - it's called NATIONAL HERITAGE ACADEMIES - KINDERGARTEN CURRICULUM PACKET for state of Louisiana ... if anyone can go and just VIEW this packet, you will see what I am looking at. And if we decide to let her go to "Regular" or Christian School starting 1st grade, she will then be 6 years old - how do we show she got through Kindergarten? That's why we are concerned about making sure we get everything covered. And when you see this Packet, you will see why my "Panties are in a bunch" per se... it SURE DOESN'T look like "rhymes, songs and learning through fun" when there are so many things she is to be "tested" and reported on? We don't want her to get to where we decide / she decides with us to go into 5thgrade, and the School board says, "Nope, with all you are showing us, she is going to be held back to 3rd grade", ya know?

• jenelle_trader
    July 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I am also new to the group and homeschooling AND have a daughter that will be 5 starting Kindergarten.  I'm right there on the frustration and overwhelming aspect.  Each day I learn more and more and it makes it easier to figure things out.  I was freaking out about following what I thought was the DOE's curriculum requirements, but it's more of a guideline.  You are basically on your own with what/how you choose to teach.  They do require 180 days though.  If and when we decide to put her in ps, they will look at a binder of examples of what she's learned/accomplished etc..(it doesn't have to be ever single worksheet, craft, book, etc..just a sample)  without knowing her age they will decide what grade to put her in based on that binder.

I just found out today that the basic reading/writing/math that she needs to know we've already been doing in her Big Pre-K workbook by School Zone.  She knows all her letters and their sounds, she's been writing her name, mommy, daddy, and anything else she ask for for over a year.  She knows her numbers 1-20, differences, < = >, some adding and subtracting, she knows how to ryhme.  So according to state standards she well ahead of the game.  We just keep progressing from there and she'll be fine.  I think I'll get her the Kindergarten workbook and we'll be good.  While it's not required, I'll supplement with our field trips, home ec, health and science.  She just loves to learn!  Granted, her attention span isn't that long, but she does enjoy it.  Just today we went out to see the sunrise (I'm a nature photographer) and we learned all about the seashells we collected.  I'm saving for a craft once I can get the supplies.

I also got the "socialization" questions from family.  I don't see it as an issue.  Homeschooling has come a long way from what people think it entails.  There are play groups and co-ops you can join.  Just taking her to the park/playground when other kids are there is enough.  Luckily for me, my daughter makes friends everywhere we go.

My point is, it's not as overwhelming once you break it down and get over the initial shock.  Everyday things can be learning experiences.

• jenelle_trader
    July 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Quoting motheroffour186:

WWW.havefunteaching.com

I am in love with this website!  Thank you for sharing!you rock

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts