Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Psychologist seems against HSing
July 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I'm sitting in a psych's office while my son is being tested for adhd. During the intake interview, the psych reacted kind of negatively to homeschooling, made comments about getting him on track to get back into " real" school, why didn't I put him in private school, how long do I plan to hs etc. She also made a big deal that he doesn't have friends that call for him and mostly has playdates that I arrange. He just turned 6. Yikes.

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    July 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM

This also happened to us. The psychologist wanted to put my girl on drugs and was very against homeschooling. When she later saw how happy my child was homeschooling and still not on drugs she actually admitted that she was wrong. That is VERY rare.

You see they learn in school that we mothers are the problem. Therefore spending MORE time with us will only make things worse. So that's why they tend to be against homeschooling. In all likelihood they know nothing or next to nothing about homeschooling too.

Remember this person works for YOU and your child. You and your child do NOT work for them. Take in what seems useful. Do your own research on areas you are not sure about. Throw out anything that isn't useful.

• PurpleCupcake
    July 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I would switch docs. I need a doc on my side, working with my circumstances. Not a doc who is against my personal legal choices.

Got the right to firearms

Got the right to the pursuit of happiness

Got the right to homeschool

And got the right to switch docs.

• bluerooffarm
    July 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Do you have to have more interviews in the future?  I would remind the psych that you are there for your son's adhd not a sociology lecture.  Remind him that you have a "real" school with books and lesson plans and everything.  That your child is only 6 and is quite capable of carrying on in the "real world" thank you very much. And that he should just do his job and let you do yours.... deciding what is best for your child.

I would not allow my child (who is 6) to phone other children, so I would not expect other children to call my child. 

• Bluecalm
    July 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    The psych and I also had a debate about testing him for LD. I asked her what is the point since I am hsing him and will adjust the curriculum to meet his needs. She said I need to know his ability level compared to "normal" 6 year olds. I asked why that mattered. I know what the grade level expectations are for first grade so that tells me what is considered the norm. I can tell what areas he's weak in. LD would just be a label.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This also happened to us. The psychologist wanted to put my girl on drugs and was very against homeschooling. When she later saw how happy my child was homeschooling and still not on drugs she actually admitted that she was wrong. That is VERY rare.

You see they learn in school that we mothers are the problem. Therefore spending MORE time with us will only make things worse. So that's why they tend to be against homeschooling. In all likelihood they know nothing or next to nothing about homeschooling too.

Remember this person works for YOU and your child. You and your child do NOT work for them. Take in what seems useful. Do your own research on areas you are not sure about. Throw out anything that isn't useful.

• Bluecalm
    July 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    This is just for an adhd evaluation so we won't be seeing her regularly other than coming back for the results. I agree though, if his regular doctors were against hs I'd switch.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I would switch docs. I need a doc on my side, working with my circumstances. Not a doc who is against my personal legal choices.

Got the right to firearms

Got the right to the pursuit of happiness

Got the right to homeschool

And got the right to switch docs.

• Bluecalm
    July 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    One more appt. in two weeks for the results.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Do you have to have more interviews in the future?  I would remind the psych that you are there for your son's adhd not a sociology lecture.  Remind him that you have a "real" school with books and lesson plans and everything.  That your child is only 6 and is quite capable of carrying on in the "real world" thank you very much. And that he should just do his job and let you do yours.... deciding what is best for your child.

I would not allow my child (who is 6) to phone other children, so I would not expect other children to call my child. 

• bluerooffarm
    July 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

In that case, I'd probably just let it go. Well, unless the guy really irritated me at that last appointment, then I'd give it to him.  ;-)

Quoting Bluecalm:

One more appt. in two weeks for the results.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I agree with the other Mom's that Dr. is working for you & I would remind her of that when ever she says anything about anything that does not pertain to what your son is seeing her for!

• Bleacheddecay
    July 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I wish I'd known about all of my son's learning disabilities at that age. I keep thinking there were "work arounds" that might have helped him and that I didn't know about. I got him tested at 18 before college and then when looking up how to help him, I found I'd done ALL of those things by just watching, listening and fitting the curriculum to him. What a relief!

Btw, I kept looking for and researching what was wrong but nothing really fit all those years. He wishes I'd gotten him tested sooner now too. He also wishes I'd gotten him on meds sooner, so does my girl who has ADHD among other things.

Quoting Bluecalm:

The psych and I also had a debate about testing him for LD. I asked her what is the point since I am hsing him and will adjust the curriculum to meet his needs. She said I need to know his ability level compared to "normal" 6 year olds. I asked why that mattered. I know what the grade level expectations are for first grade so that tells me what is considered the norm. I can tell what areas he's weak in. LD would just be a label.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

• Bluecalm
    July 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    So do you think it would be worthwhile to get LD testing on my son? I told her for sure I wouldn't do it right now. I want to see if he has adhd and would benefit from meds plus I want to teach him this year and see how he does.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I wish I'd known about all of my son's learning disabilities at that age. I keep thinking there were "work arounds" that might have helped him and that I didn't know about. I got him tested at 18 before college and then when looking up how to help him, I found I'd done ALL of those things by just watching, listening and fitting the curriculum to him. What a relief!

Btw, I kept looking for and researching what was wrong but nothing really fit all those years. He wishes I'd gotten him tested sooner now too. He also wishes I'd gotten him on meds sooner, so does my girl who has ADHD among other things.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts