Homeschooling Moms

Bluecalm
Psychologist seems against HSing
July 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I'm sitting in a psych's office while my son is being tested for adhd. During the intake interview, the psych reacted kind of negatively to homeschooling, made comments about getting him on track to get back into " real" school, why didn't I put him in private school, how long do I plan to hs etc. She also made a big deal that he doesn't have friends that call for him and mostly has playdates that I arrange. He just turned 6. Yikes.

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM

weird lady! as popular as homeschooling is nowdays you'd think people would research it out!

• Bleacheddecay
    July 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM

It might but I have mixed feelings on it. My kids are "sure" they would have liked to be diagnosed earlier but then kids, even adult kids are so sure of - everything. Go with YOUR gut. It won't steer you wrong.

Quoting Bluecalm:

So do you think it would be worthwhile to get LD testing on my son? I told her for sure I wouldn't do it right now. I want to see if he has adhd and would benefit from meds plus I want to teach him this year and see how he does.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I wish I'd known about all of my son's learning disabilities at that age. I keep thinking there were "work arounds" that might have helped him and that I didn't know about. I got him tested at 18 before college and then when looking up how to help him, I found I'd done ALL of those things by just watching, listening and fitting the curriculum to him. What a relief!

Btw, I kept looking for and researching what was wrong but nothing really fit all those years. He wishes I'd gotten him tested sooner now too. He also wishes I'd gotten him on meds sooner, so does my girl who has ADHD among other things.

Quoting Bluecalm:

The psych and I also had a debate about testing him for LD. I asked her what is the point since I am hsing him and will adjust the curriculum to meet his needs. She said I need to know his ability level compared to "normal" 6 year olds. I asked why that mattered. I know what the grade level expectations are for first grade so that tells me what is considered the norm. I can tell what areas he's weak in. LD would just be a label.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This also happened to us. The psychologist wanted to put my girl on drugs and was very against homeschooling. When she later saw how happy my child was homeschooling and still not on drugs she actually admitted that she was wrong. That is VERY rare.

You see they learn in school that we mothers are the problem. Therefore spending MORE time with us will only make things worse. So that's why they tend to be against homeschooling. In all likelihood they know nothing or next to nothing about homeschooling too.

Remember this person works for YOU and your child. You and your child do NOT work for them. Take in what seems useful. Do your own research on areas you are not sure about. Throw out anything that isn't useful.

• mommy4lyf
    July 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My son's DAN/Naturophatic doctor suggested homeschooling because it brings out the best from children with disabilities because there's no pressure and they feel safe inside the house.

• celticdragon77
    July 25, 2013 at 5:17 AM

If your child was there when these comments took place, I personally would have excused my child out of the room, and then privately explained why I was not satisfied with the service I received - and then proceeded to leave.

You are paying them for services rendered and that is not the services you were seeking. It was very unprofessional of them. 

• Mommynay2
    July 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

A lot of professionals will go against homeschooling. A lot of my family, especially my sister will talk negatively about me homeschooling. I just let it flow like water off a duck's back. 

• twyliatepeka
    July 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM

My sil's boss has the same issue. She works in the public school system (ameri corps) and her boss always has a problem with her mainly because he was homeschooled. My sil is very smart & excels in math & reading but this lady just picks her apart.

• kirbymom
    July 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    If you do not have to stick with this Dr., then you might think about changing Dr.'s I would never ever put up with a person in a professional capacity trying to make me go against what I know to be the best decision just to assuage their controlling attitudal complex. They wod have 1 choices to keep my business....1. They could just support my decision to homeschool altogether or 1. they could stop the negativity altogether even if they disagreed with my decision to homeschool. My child, my life, MY rules. Remind your Dr. That you are the one person who loves your child the most and that you know what is best as well and that if it were any other way then they would have been the one to have this child instead if you, and since that is not the case, they can just close their mouth and keep any negative opinions to themselves from now on.

Homeschooling Moms