Homeschooling Moms

sdgd21
How do you make it all happen?
by sdgd21
July 23, 2013 at 1:32 AM
So my husband and I were talking and decided that our family needs a makeover. I'm wondering what are some of the things that you ladies do to help your family stay on schedule, complete daily task as well as maintain a household. Any tips will help to add to my epic week of planning and organizing. Thanks so much

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    July 23, 2013 at 2:33 AM
    I'm not sure exactly what you want...

My rules are family first, then school, then scouts, then other...

I plan meals a week at a time. I know Tues and Thurs we have one hour between gymnastics and karate or scouts so we plan to eat out or have fast leftovers those 2 nights.

After that, WD do our best to spend as much family time together as possible.

• bluerooffarm
    July 23, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Each of my boys has a planner and I write their school work in the planner.  They make a check mark by it as they do it, I put a sticker over the check mark when it is A-ok and they can move on. 

We also have a responsiblity chart.  (We used to have a separate one for each boy, but found a cool one with different colored magnets for each of us!! YAY)  So at lunch I check their planners to see if all their school work was completed and at supper I check their chart to see if all their chores were finished.  The chart has enough colors that I also have my chores on it.  They can see that I have more chores than any of them, so they are less likely to whine that they "do it all."  Which was a big problem when we all had seperate charts.

I put the kids to work.  We are all here more of the time than we would be if they went to school at a brick and mortar, so we all have to pitch in to keep the household running.  I've been told that my kids do chores that are way above what their age groups should be doing, but they handle it very well.  We make most of it into a game to see who can be done the quickest, but it has to also pass the mommy test. 

• PurpleCupcake
    July 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I LIVE by my fly lady cleaning lists.

There is a fly lady group here on cafe mom

Each day I make a list and come back and cross things off when they get done. We even take before and after pictures.

• Leissaintexas
    July 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM

wow, I'm no help. I don't plan, manage, schedule, or anything. Some of those methods above look like more work than help. My biggest thing is, if my life is so hectic that I don't feel I am getting it all done, thensomething needs to be cut out. Life should not be that difficult or stressful. I keep my life very, very simple. We are not morning people, so we sleep till we feel like it, start school and can usually be finished in 3 hours. This was the hardest thing to learn, as I have one who is still figuring out how to focus independently,but he's 10 and starting to get it now, it just takes training. Then lunch is "on your own", then we go about our business. Sometimes its folding clothes, sometimes its closet organizing. Then its really quiet here till dinner. We all pitch in to help and then after dinner its family time. Either playing catch outside or movie night inside. No stress, no hurry, no charts, no rush. I would just really be questioning my lifestyle more than my management of it if you are feeling that out of control.

• KickButtMama
    July 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I do behavior bucks - the kids earn fictional bucks by doing school work, chores, being respectful, etc. they lose bucks by being disrespectful, not completing their chores, etc. then they can use their bucks to rent their electronics from me for 24 hours...this includes the tv remote, Wii, computer, DS, 3DS, MP3, Kindle, etc. all of which are kept in my bedroom closet. ;) it's revolutionized our family - no more yelling to get things done. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    I suggest getting your paperwork sorted, your school in order and kitchen. If those areas are organized, then other things fall into place.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    July 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    I use a calendar app, too.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    July 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Oh, we do fast clean ups 3 times a day.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

hi sdgd! how old are your kids?

what kept our house clean, chores done, school done is sticking to our homeschool schedule

kids were all up before 8 , beds make , rooms cleaned, breakfast ate, outside animals fed, and any left over time before 9 inside chores done.

9- we start schooling, sometimes it was after 9 but as close as possible

then by 12 or 1 we were done with schooling

next we ate a bit of lunch and fininshed the rest of our chores

after chores kids can do what they want

then at 6 one of the kids (when younger) helped me with dinner, (when older they got to cook and plan dinner) 

then after dinner kitchen chores where done, then free time

that kept our house clean and things picked up, animals feed, garden tender to etc

right before bedtime which was 10 everyone did  a 5 minute clean up in the house.

• sdgd21
    by sdgd21
    July 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    My boys are 6,10,13,15. We have one on the way so this is what has prompt the need to do things better. :-)
    How you have it set up here is much how my 'plan' is set, but for some reason it's not working. For starters we are taking to long with school. Now i can tell you that is more then likely because of 2 things, one, we need to be better organized, and 2 while I'm working with one, some of the others my disappear. :-/
    The other thing is that we rarely can keep the house clean although there is cleaning going on daily around 2 hrs a day, and sometime more.

Quoting oredeb:

hi sdgd! how old are your kids?

what kept our house clean, chores done, school done is sticking to our homeschool schedule

kids were all up before 8 , beds make , rooms cleaned, breakfast ate, outside animals fed, and any left over time before 9 inside chores done.

9- we start schooling, sometimes it was after 9 but as close as possible

then by 12 or 1 we were done with schooling

next we ate a bit of lunch and fininshed the rest of our chores

after chores kids can do what they want

then at 6 one of the kids (when younger) helped me with dinner, (when older they got to cook and plan dinner) 

then after dinner kitchen chores where done, then free time

that kept our house clean and things picked up, animals feed, garden tender to etc

right before bedtime which was 10 everyone did  a 5 minute clean up in the house.

Homeschooling Moms