Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
reading with NO help
July 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
At about what age did your child read comfortably with NO help? I mean without stumbling over words, asking what a word is, comprehending what is going on.....reading like you and I would read.

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    July 22, 2013 at 7:50 PM

My oldest was in 1st grade and my youngest has just recently.  He is going into 4th grade in August.  Reading has a huge gap.

• TJandKarasMom
    July 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Mine are like Jen's.  My oldest was about 1st grade, and my youngest is going into 5th and I would say the beginning of 4th she did.  So DS had just turned 6, and DD was 9. 

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    July 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    My oldest is 8 and has been independently reading for about 2 years. DS2 is 6 and is doing so now.
  • KickButtMama
    July 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Comfortably? Idk, my kids prefer I read to them, so they stumble as much as possible...lol

• AJ-47
    by AJ-47
    July 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    My Son was 5 1/2. That's when He began reading chapter books, and has been since. He was about halfway through Kindergarten.
  • bluerooffarm
    July 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My oldest was nearly 6.  My middle is six now and is nowhere near reading on his own.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

oldest was 7

next one was 8

next one 5

nest one 10

they all were ready at different ages, they all started at different ages(when they were ready)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

This is the way my younger 2 are!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Comfortably? Idk, my kids prefer I read to them, so they stumble as much as possible...lol

• Leissaintexas
    July 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Oldest was 5, middle was 7, and youngest was 9. I find it amusing that "experts" warn that kids that don't get early reading intervention suffer terribly and will be horribly behind. All of mine, regardless of when they learn to read, all end up at the same point by about age 9 or 10. 

• kirbymom
    July 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    Well, oldest started at 4 next was at 9, next was about 5/6, next was just at 5, next is just now getting comfortable and she is 9, the next one is 6 and he is trying hard. My youngest is yes and no on the subject still.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN