Homeschooling Moms

kirbymom
Scrabble - Who ?
July 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Do you play scrabble? It's a great way to build one's vocabulary. :) And it also builds spelling ability.

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM

My oldest 2 were playing today.  They suck something fierce.  But they've gotta get better, right?

• TJandKarasMom
    July 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM

DS was just saying we need scrabble!  We have scrabble jr so he and I played that, but it's different.  It was fun just to play though, you just can't really keep score.  He is definitely read for the real version, but DD is not.  It is a great game for building vocab and practicing spelling though.

• Bleacheddecay
    July 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM

This is one of our family's favs to play.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    Yes, I love scrabble, but I can't get Dh to play with me. The first time we played I pulled a good one on my second turn and got a lot of points and he was like I quit, I'm not playing with you ever again. *sigh* Just my luck.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

oh yes we all play scrabble its part of our spelling program and vocab program! and i play it on my phone with a friend

• bluerooffarm
    July 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM

We have played upwords, which is similar.  In upwords you can put a letter on top of another letter to change the word.  Like you could have the word chop on the board and put an s over the c to make shop.  It's really helping my middle boy (6) with his word families and sounding out.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I suck at spelling so the only way I will play is if I can have a dictionary, but then no one wants to play with me because I have the biggest vocabulary in the house!

• Mommynay2
    July 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I have Scrabble but nobody wants to play with me.

• kirbymom
    July 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    For some reason, this just made me feel better. :).

Yes, the more you play, the better you get.

Quoting hwblyf:

My oldest 2 were playing today.  They suck something fierce.  But they've gotta get better, right?

• kirbymom
    July 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    You should get the "real" version. It is so much fun. Although I think the jr version is a great way to start out. :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

DS was just saying we need scrabble!  We have scrabble jr so he and I played that, but it's different.  It was fun just to play though, you just can't really keep score.  He is definitely read for the real version, but DD is not.  It is a great game for building vocab and practicing spelling though.

Homeschooling Moms