Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
AutymsMommy
For those actively planning... Check in!
July 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

How's it coming?

I've finished first quarter plans for everything BUT science. My husband almost had a coronary when he noticed I have like 4 different core science texts/books I planned on using (bwahaha); he talked me down to two (or three... lol).

Replies

• Mommy2Phenley
    July 25, 2013 at 3:46 AM
    Math, handwriting, and geography are all "do the next thing", so that simplifies that. We're still working through SLp4/5 but I'm going to start working on a modified schedule for the literature from core a soon.

Science I've only been planning a day or two ahead and that's getting hard. So I need to take some time and really plan out where we're going with it and be more prepared. I have a good idea though so it's just a matter of doing it.

Phonics is where I'm lost. I'm not sure where we're going with that.
  • celticdragon77
    July 25, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I buy curriculums, but I add materials, move lessons around to be a better fit, and remove some lessons.  Also for science I bought 4 or 5 textbooks, I plan to use them for the next 2 or 3 years slowly picking and choosing topics until we've covered it all.  (For language arts, I have no curriculum, do it myself)

Quoting celticdragon77:

If you are using curriculums, what are you planning?

• bluerooffarm
    July 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I've just never found a curriculum that goes in an order I could get behind. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I buy curriculums, but I add materials, move lessons around to be a better fit, and remove some lessons.  Also for science I bought 4 or 5 textbooks, I plan to use them for the next 2 or 3 years slowly picking and choosing topics until we've covered it all.  (For language arts, I have no curriculum, do it myself)

Quoting celticdragon77:

• AutymsMommy
    July 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Ah. Yeah - all of our texts have chapters, of course, but no "read pages x-x of chapter y; create a keyword outline and begin your constellation project" plans (which is what I prefer - so I make them, lol).

Quoting celticdragon77:

I think that everything I ordered had a weekly plan. I have been combining a mix of materials for some subjects. I do what I can with the the time I have. I have so many other responsibilities and I already don't get as much done as I wish to (whether with homeschooling or every day life). 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Lol. None of my curricula came with daily lesson plans? We aren't "open the book and do the next thing" people.

Quoting celticdragon77:

English - LOE and MCT is planned for me. I have a week of some misc materials planned. 

Math - one week planned (completely homemade lesson plans for now). 

History - 2 weeks of "family tree" lesson plans and 6 weeks of mythology planned... (homemade lesson plans for now) - then we will start in on H.O. 

Science - one week planned (completely homemade lesson plans for now).

Art + misc - completely untouched. 

• celticdragon77
    July 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Were you at one point a teacher? 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ah. Yeah - all of our texts have chapters, of course, but no "read pages x-x of chapter y; create a keyword outline and begin your constellation project" plans (which is what I prefer - so I make them, lol).

• AutymsMommy
    July 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM

No! Lol.

Why?

Quoting celticdragon77:

Were you at one point a teacher? 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts