Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
OT: Ice Cream anyone?
July 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I didnt even realize that yesterday was ice cream day! What a way for me to miss out on a perfecly good excuse to indulge..lol

Every Monday evening after dinner, I take my kids to the local ice cream shop. My grandparents used to take all of us grandkids after Monday night dinner during the summer and it was something that I wanted to do with my kids. They look forward to it all week and talk about what flavor they are going to get next. Funny how they never really venture beyond vanilla or cookies and cream..lol

Do you ever take your kids for cold treats in the summer? Do you have an ice cream truck that visits your neighborhood? 

Replies

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I like your tradition! We have no ice cream truck or shop, but we do treat them to snowcones on occasion. I wish we had an icecream shop.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

we always lived in the country so i'd have to make our ice cream, when the kids where young we'd have to crank the handle, but as they got older i got a modern ice cream makers, so now i just push the button!!hhahaha

now we live in the city and an ice cream truck comes down our street sometimes, of course all my kids are grown up!

• FootballFan12
    July 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Thanks. The kids love it, plus it gives us more family time.

We have an  ice cream truck that passes by but it is so random that we never know when or if it will come.

Quoting Dawn07:

I like your tradition! We have no ice cream truck or shop, but we do treat them to snowcones on occasion. I wish we had an icecream shop.

• kirbymom
    July 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    and floats. Ice cream was a rare treat when I was growing up but with our kids, they get to eat it more than I did. Not every day mind you but as often as we can. We love to make shakes and sundaes and floats. We try to make new concoctions everytime we have ice cream. :)
  • FootballFan12
    July 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I have always wanted to make my own ice cream but the process complete intimidates me.....okay, who am I kidding. My kids would be watching and expecting perfection and with my luck it would be terrible and they would be disappointed...lol.

Quoting oredeb:

we always lived in the country so i'd have to make our ice cream, when the kids where young we'd have to crank the handle, but as they got older i got a modern ice cream makers, so now i just push the button!!hhahaha

now we live in the city and an ice cream truck comes down our street sometimes, of course all my kids are grown up!

• FootballFan12
    July 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Root beer floats are my all time favorite. They remind me of the rootbeer hard candy my grandfather used to eat when I was a little girl. 

Quoting kirbymom:

and floats. Ice cream was a rare treat when I was growing up but with our kids, they get to eat it more than I did. Not every day mind you but as often as we can. We love to make shakes and sundaes and floats. We try to make new concoctions everytime we have ice cream. :)

• kirbymom
    July 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Ooooohh rootbeer candy! That sounds goooood! Not one we have tried yet. Shouldn't be too difficult to make.?

Quoting FootballFan12:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

When I was a kid my brothers best friend's parents owned & operated the ice cream trucks in our town. I remember walking to their house with a fist full of money to buy an ice cream (they lived a few houses down the road) & coming home with as much bubble gum as I could fit in my pockets, an ice cream, a soda & all my money.

When I was about 9 my Mom worked for them driving one of the trucks for a summer & I would go along for the ride & help make real snow cones (that is a messy job to do on a truck).

We take our kids to Sonic for 1/2 priced milkshakes every few weeks through out summer.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM

hahahaha its not hard at all! let them make it!!

Quoting FootballFan12:

I have always wanted to make my own ice cream but the process complete intimidates me.....okay, who am I kidding. My kids would be watching and expecting perfection and with my luck it would be terrible and they would be disappointed...lol.

Quoting oredeb:

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

sonja! you've nevr had rootbeer candy?ohhhhh its been around since i was a baby! i love it!

Quoting kirbymom:

Ooooohh rootbeer candy! That sounds goooood! Not one we have tried yet. Shouldn't be too difficult to make.?

Quoting FootballFan12:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN