Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mamabear32123
possible ridiculous question
July 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Sorry for possible mistakes in advance.. i am mobile and in a hurry.

But my question is my dd is two and we plan to hs but she is so social i am afraid she will be in social situations and want to go to ps with her peers... can u ease my mind?

To clarify i know hs kids are socialized lol i just wonder if she will want to do what "everyone else" is doing. Hopefully we successfully raise her to not care about that.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mamabear32123
    July 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    Bump
  • mamabear32123
    July 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    Bump
  • mem82
    by mem82
    July 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I avoid the cartoons that focus on going to school during that time.

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

It's never too soon to get involved with a homeschool group. That way when you say you'll be doing school at home, it sounds normal to her.

• hipmomto3
    July 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

OT, but isn't it a social faux pas to bump your own post twice in two minutes?

I wouldn't worry about it. She's two. Peer pressure is not a big deal unless you, as the parent, make it a big deal to discuss what her 'friends' are all doing. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Avoid any & all shows/movies that glorify school or make it a "normal" thing that every kid supposedly dose. Emphasis all the things she will get to do during the day as a homeschooler that kids in school can't do until the weekends or in the evenings if she dose start to ask about going to school.

• twyliatepeka
    July 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Remind her of all the FUN things that she gets to do while others have sit in class all day. Worked for my 6 yr old (so far anyway) she went thru a PS phase. My mil drives a school bus so we have to see & hear about ps a lot.

• mamabear32123
    July 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. And thank you for sharing your experience and advice
  • Knightquester
    July 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM

That's a question I doubt anybody will be able to answer right now, and at two years old it's doubtful you will know until she's older.  Your daughters personality and experiences will vastly differ from all of our children's and even your daughters siblings (if she has them), and so she may or may not want to homeschool in the future, but right now it's not something I would waste time worrying about.

I can only say that I have four children and when we started my youngest was three years old at the time.  He's never asked nor wanted to go to public school even though he has public school friends.  In fact I would have to say all of my children are close friends with well over a dozen public school kids and yet none of them want to attend public school even though I allow them to choose between public and homeschool.

I say enjoy the time you two have, keep teaching her in a positive manner, and don't worry about the things that have yet to, or may never come.

• Rust.n.Gears
    July 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Yeah avoid the shows during that time. I had a lot of Animal Planet on then. If questions do come up let her know a bit of the truth that a lot of people miss: public school kids have limited socialization. A lot of the time is about learning to sit quietly, listen to the teacher, read your books, and work on what you are given. The longer you are in school means less socialization each year.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN