Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Have you used Saxon Math?
July 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I got a copy of Saxon Math 5/4 for $5 for the text and solutions manual, I couldn't pass it up.  I have no idea what I am using for math yet.  I want to try this with my DD10-she is going into 5th grade but is a bit behind, IMO.  I looked at the table of contents and I think the topics will be good for her.

I'm a bit nervous because I think Saxon is a spiral program and that is what our ps used (a spiral program but not Saxon) and it wasn't good for her.  I *think* because this will be a lot of review for her and because we can slow down or speed up depending on how much she "gets" it, that this could be a good place to start.  Since it was only $5, I won't be incredibly disappointed if it doesn't work and I am open to trying something different if it's not working for her.

Do you have any opinions on Saxon or any advice for my plan? 

Replies

• vintage-misha
    July 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Saxon is spiral and mastery. We like it but the lessons are long. We're looking at teaching textbooks as an option. 

• NYCitymomx3
    July 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

We use Saxon and we love it.  Ds started with 7/6 this past year and we plan on using it all the way through high school.  It has the perfect amount of review and ds is awesome at math now.  

• Koltie6
    by Koltie6
    July 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    We have but prefer teaching textbooks. But for 5 dollars hey use it.
  • genieskidcrew
    July 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My son is also going into the 5th grade, and we are using Saxon as well.  This is his first year being homeschooled and math is the subject he struggles with the most.  I am going to see how he does with the material.  I also bought several supplemental math workbooks to help reinforce.  We are going to take it week by week until he masters the concepts.  I chose Saxon because so many moms I spoke with raved about it.  Not one person I spoke with said anything bad about it. 

blue ribbon

• AutymsMommy
    July 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Saxon is NOT mastery; a mastery program teaches a skill to *mastery* before moving on. Saxon is very incremental and spiral.

Yes, we tried it. I have a review on my blog (It isn't very complimentary). Saxon turned my previously math loving daughter into a neurotic crying mess every time she saw the book; we only lasted part of a year with it. I think the man who wrote it hates math...

FWIW, we do prefer spiral, just never again Saxon, lol.

• hipmomto3
    July 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I am actually using Saxon 5/4 with my fifth grader right now!

We did Singapore last year and it was not a good fit for her (too hard). Teaching Textbooks the year before and SHE liked it, but I felt the program was very lacking.

Now granted, we are only 1 week into our school year :) but she seems to be doing really well - 90% or higher on all the assignments. We also got ours used, but it came with a DVD called DIVE Into Math & Science, which has a tutorial video to go along with every assignment.

• Bluecalm
    July 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    I tutored a 4th grader this year who was using Saxon. He wasn't doing well in school because it spirals and he hadn't mastered the old skills so he kept failing his weekly tests. The good thing was we were reviewing the same skills each week so he was able to retain what he was learning.
  • hipmomto3
    July 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I actually feel that spiraling works well for math, because math is all interconnected. It's not like spiraling with history where maybe what you are learning now has absolutely zero to do with what you learned six months ago - say you were studying Native Americans pre AD 1000, now you are studying the Korean War... nothing to connect. With math, everything is connected. Saxon 54 in particular, has sections on addition, subtraction, and later - money, which to figure out how much change you get if your total is $19.21 and you give the cashier $20.25 - you have to use those subtraction skills from earlier. You're using those addition and subtraction skills to determine area and perimeter. So it makes sense to periodically revisit those old skills while constantly adding new ones into the mix as well.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

i love saxon, ive used it for about 25 years on my kids, i dont follow the book and do all the problems on the lessons, i skip and chose the ones the kids do,  i think what your chosing to do sounds good! you can make it work! 5 dollars is a fantastic price!!

• TJandKarasMom
    July 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I think if the spiraling is a review then it can work.  The program our school district uses spirals too fast.  It was like Monday-Addition, Tuesday-money, Wednesday-Fractions, Thursday-division, Friday-decimals.  She couldn't make connections because before she could master the addition it was on to money.  When she would do her fraction homework and not get it, she would bring it in the next day only to have the teacher focused on division and not get her questions answered.

So if Saxon's spiral is slower, or I can at least take it slower if we need to, then I think it could work.  It's just that the hopping around so fast did not work for her at all.  For my son, it was fine because he prelearned everything before he learned it in school.  I think with my daughter I have to try to make her understand the basis of math, something that hasn't come naturally to her.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I actually feel that spiraling works well for math, because math is all interconnected. It's not like spiraling with history where maybe what you are learning now has absolutely zero to do with what you learned six months ago - say you were studying Native Americans pre AD 1000, now you are studying the Korean War... nothing to connect. With math, everything is connected. Saxon 54 in particular, has sections on addition, subtraction, and later - money, which to figure out how much change you get if your total is $19.21 and you give the cashier $20.25 - you have to use those subtraction skills from earlier. You're using those addition and subtraction skills to determine area and perimeter. So it makes sense to periodically revisit those old skills while constantly adding new ones into the mix as well.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN