Homeschooling Moms

nettey79
New and have some questions
July 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Hi, my name is Janette, my husband of 5 (almost 6) years is Ted. We have three boys: Nate who is 9, Cory who is 6 and Zeke who is 3. We all live in Colorado.

I am looking into homeschooling Cory but do not know where/how to start. You might be thinking why the middle child first. Well Nate does great in school and enjoys it. Cory has aspergers, and he has a speech issue. The teacher he is to get this year LOVES to yell at the kids. I am trying to get him into a different class but it look like that will not happen. And if he stays with this teacher we will be having a nice fight (ha ha) on our hands because we will not allow her to yell at Cory. 

So I am new with all this and not sure where to look or how to go about start homeschooling him (along with him I will be teaching Zeke too until he is old enough to decide if he wants to be home-schooled or public schooled.) And what to do about speech tharapy (he gets it through school.) Is there a way for me to work with him (more than I do now) to help with the speech? A website to look up to learn more about both homeschooling a special need child and speech therapy?

Any help you can give me I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you :).

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Good well thought out questions.   

welcome to cafemom

Following are some websites to answer your questions:

1.  Home schooling Children With Aspergers

2.  How To Home School (The basics on getting started)

3.  How To Home School With A Toddler

4.  How To Home School The Pre K

5. Homeschooling Speech Needs

• PurpleCupcake
    July 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM

You might be able to get speech therapy through medical insurance & Medicaid. Before my some was preschool age, he was tested, and then a speech therapist came to my house 3 times a week. Talk to your doc and look through your phone book for speech therapists. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Some schools will still give speech & other therapy services to homeschoolers but it is up to the individual school & district. Check & see if your insurance might cover it.

Learning his learning style will help you in helping him learn. I personaly believe that children on the  Autism Spectrum do better homeschooled then in public school. I have 2 sons on the Spectrum & I know they are better off at home with me then in the school!

• TJandKarasMom
    July 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

In our state, and I thought everywhere because of federal laws but I could be wrong, the school MUST provide services to those who need it.  So at least here, if a child is diagnosed with needing speech therapy services then the district has to provide the services or pay for the services.  So, Janette, you should look into the laws in your state (and/or federal laws) to see what the district will need to provide if you want them to provide services.

I have worked with kids with Autism and I have thought a lot of them would do better at home than in the school setting.  Definitely look into your laws, and learn his learning style.  I think you will really enjoy teaching him and watching him learn and grow.  This group is so helpful and kind, so post anytime you have questions, everyone here is always happy to help!

Quoting usmom3:

Some schools will still give speech & other therapy services to homeschoolers but it is up to the individual school & district. Check & see if your insurance might cover it.

Learning his learning style will help you in helping him learn. I personaly believe that children on the  Autism Spectrum do better homeschooled then in public school. I have 2 sons on the Spectrum & I know they are better off at home with me then in the school!

• mommy4lyf
    July 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    I am homeschooling my son who's autistic. The school district are offering 3x a week 30 mins per session in our local school. On top of the ST we get him into private SLP and PT.

I am using ixl.com for math and different workbooks. Be careful in choosing the workbooks. Find out his learning style first.

I am using different level readers books including S.P.I.R.E decodable reader. You can download it from amazon.

If he needs symbols use www.symbolworld.org
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

everyone has such good answers so i just wana say welcome!!!!

• AutymsMommy
    July 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Our state just this year passed a law allowing homeschooled children to receive speech services through their local school. Check and see if your state has something similar.

If your district has a "homeschool liason", they may be able to answer that for you!

• nettey79
    August 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Thank you everyone for helping me. I will look into the laws here.

Homeschooling Moms