Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
tiredmomfor2
Went School Supply Shopping Today!!!
July 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I went into Walmart with the kids today and wasn't planning to supply shop today. But..the next thing I know there are crayons, pencils and glue in my cart. Then it was like the stuff was jumping in my cart. Lol I lost all control and basically bought everything we needed for the year. MIght still need a few more packs of crayons, notebooks and need to get construction paper at Sam's..but yeah.
I planned to get nothing and spent almost $70. Oops Haha!
In my defence..we were completely out of everything from last year. We normally have stuff leftover from the year before. With the kids getting older now, we go through a lot of supplies. We will have three in 'school' this year and they are all very artsy...we go through a lot of school supplies. Lol

I love supply shopping! It is like Christmas..only better because everything is so cheap. Haha

who else is going crazy with supply shopping this year??

Replies

• Knightquester
    July 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I so need to go school supply shopping, maybe the first weekend in August I'll make it up :-) $70 is a good price on all that you got.  I know I spend around that on everything by the time I'm fully done.

• NANA9259
    July 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I am waiting on our TAX FREE day to buy anything.

As for what it cost's to hs...this will be our first year hs my dgd (darling granddaughter).  I am a thrift store queen. I rarely buy "new" clothes for her (unless on clearance). Why waste the money when you can get perfectly good and sometimes new clothes at a thrift store, or consignment sale. 

I have only spent about $50.00 on school supplies, books included. I found dry erase handwriting boards (on sale at WM for $4.50) at a thrift store New for $1.00 each, folders, stickers, pens, pencils, flash cards etc. for .50.  Sorry, my point is you do not have to spend a fortune to home school. Yard sales, library sales, used book stores and thrift stores all have great finds for the home schoolers. And the good thing about hs is if money is tight at the beginning of the school year, you can always buy only what you need.

• kirbymom
    July 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    hahaha - this happens about every couple of months for us. :)
  • Mommynay2
    July 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I didn't do the shopping yet, but I know I will do just what you did. I'm going to go to the store with my list, then get more than I intended to.

• celticdragon77
    July 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I went and looked yesterday at WalMart - I didn't think the sales were that good. I will wait. I have everything we need, so unless the sale is worth it, I am not going to spend the money. We have SO many markers, highlighters, crayons... that I just can't ever see us needing stuff like that - EVER! But my kids are 9, 11, and 17. So things like crayons are not as frequently used around here. 

I did pick up posterboard at Target the other week, because it was like 30 cents a sheet - and normally, it is about a dollar at most places. 

You guys should have a sticky post for sales / good deals that people find. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN