Homeschooling Moms

oredeb
10 Most Annoying Homeschool Questions Ever Asked
by oredeb
July 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Warning: If you are easily offended you may not want to continue reading. 

After the week I have had, I need a little something light-hearted and carefree.  How about you?

Here’s a toast to the most annoying homeschool questions ever asked and my slightly edgy rebuttals, simply because one cannot be expected to bite their tongue ALL the time.

• What do you do all day?

Well, I just lay around in my pjs all day long and let my kids fend for themselves.  Ever seen a 2 year old cook eggs?

• Do you like it?

No, I hate it, that’s why I do it every day – 7 days a week.  Seriously, do homeschooling parents ever really take a day off? We are always planning, researching and thinking about what we can later quiz our kid on.

• What about socialization?

Since all homeschoolers are like caged animals, I am sure only time will tell.  Do I need to insert the sarcasm button here? This one has always bothered me. We know the answer right? Sending your child to public school to learn about socialization is like sending your kid to the candy store to learn about nutrition.

• Aren’t you worried about college?

I will try to be less snarky with this one. Having spoken to admissions offices around the country at some of the most prestigious colleges about their take on homeschooled children, I am more worried about my children attending public school.

• How will they perform on tests?

Mind if we compare statistics? I’ll show you my child’s test scores if you show me yours.  This is where I pull out the national test scores and rankings of homeschooled children versus public school – it could get ugly.

• Do you like being with your kids all day?

Seriously? That’s all you got? Well…most days (gulp).  No, really.  This question is like asking me if I like my kids.

• What’s wrong with the public schools?

Usually this question is followed by a Socratic stance on how great the local schools are.  I usually try to take the high road with public schools in our area but make it known that they couldn’t offer what my child needed. Let’s just say I don’t like to argue over things that are so obvious to me, but not obvious to others. The phrase beating a dead horse comes to mind.

• Is it legal?

Is having children legal? I can’t even believe I have heard this question before. It doesn’t even deserve an answer.

• How will your girls ever meet boys? (or vice versa)

Excuse me? Since I can’t just walk away without answering every single question I have been asked because of plain ol’ ignorance, I will try to muster up something here. Did you meet your spouse in school? I didn’t. It was college.  So they won’t be high school sweethearts – although that is cute and quite romantic, what’s the big deal?  This question is just so far off the radar that it’s borderline insulting.

• Aren’t you afraid they will miss out?

Society tells us that if your child doesn’t go to school they will miss out.  In high school, non-homeschoolers ponder the questions concerning prom, games, dances and other activities. Seriously, I have seen my fellow high school graduates who believed and still believe prom or that last football game was the highlight of their life – they aren’t doing much these days.  So no, I am not afraid my children will miss out. They will miss out on so much more if they go, simply because of what they are involved in outside of school.

http://www.homeschooldiaries.com/10-most-annoying-homeschool-questions-ever-asked/

Disclaimer: All of the above answers were the result of sick children, lack of sleep, PMS, and a splash of TGIF. They are my opinions and how I may respond at any moment, given some unsuspecting individual approach me at the wrong time of month and question my choice to homeschool

Replies

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Bahaha!!! My sarcastic side loves this!
  • bluerooffarm
    July 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

HAHA!  loved them.  I'd like to hear responses to "How are you qualified to teach?" and "But when are you going to put them in real school?"

• debramommyof4
    July 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Mine too.

Quoting Dawn07:

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    We should ask her lol.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

HAHA!  loved them.  I'd like to hear responses to "How are you qualified to teach?" and "But when are you going to put them in real school?"

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    Yes, I have heard all of these. I just want to say "really??"
  • coala
    by coala
    July 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

lol!!

• kirbymom
    July 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    Crack me up! lol
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

• bren_darlene
    July 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Me too! lol

Quoting Dawn07:

• HappyMama.x3
    July 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    When we were moving and I had to explain to my daughters teacher where the state we were moving to was on a map is when I decided I was qualified enough to teach her myself lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Homeschooling Moms