Homeschooling Moms

Boobah
Do you follow your curric to the letter, or...
by Boobah
July 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Do you follow your curriculum (if you have one) to the letter, or do you skip, add, make up as you go?

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    I tend to do what I want and use it as a guide.
  • bluerooffarm
    July 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I definately skip, add, and make it up.  LOL. 

• jwhit8791
    July 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We skipped a lot of the optional stuff in ours last year.  I am going to try and make up the science experiments that we missed (those weren't optional but life happens) just because my boys like science.  The writing assignments I think I won't.  LOL  You can tell I am not a writer.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Yeah, optional to me means "pretend this isn't here".

Quoting jwhit8791:

We skipped a lot of the optional stuff in ours last year.  I am going to try and make up the science experiments that we missed (those weren't optional but life happens) just because my boys like science.  The writing assignments I think I won't.  LOL  You can tell I am not a writer.

• JadeTigr7
    July 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I use it as a basic guide and then do what works best with my kids.

• AutymsMommy
    July 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I don't really have any "scripted" curricula; I have textbooks, worktexts, etc, but none are so scripted that they tell me what to do.

Wish they did, though. Lesson planning would be easier. Lol!

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    The more familiar I am with it, the more I use it as a guide than actually following it.
  • mhaney03
    July 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    I skip the speed drills in our math.
  • bether89
    July 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I follow the curriculum, but sometimes skip and add if I feel it is needed.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    When I had a scripted curric (Saxon math) I HATED it. I found myself actually reading it to my child instead of teaching her. I am so, so glad we don't use it anymore.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't really have any "scripted" curricula; I have textbooks, worktexts, etc, but none are so scripted that they tell me what to do.

Wish they did, though. Lesson planning would be easier. Lol!

Homeschooling Moms