Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Boobah
Do you follow your curric to the letter, or...
by Boobah
July 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Do you follow your curriculum (if you have one) to the letter, or do you skip, add, make up as you go?

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    I tend to do what I want and use it as a guide.
  • bluerooffarm
    July 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I definately skip, add, and make it up.  LOL. 

• jwhit8791
    July 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We skipped a lot of the optional stuff in ours last year.  I am going to try and make up the science experiments that we missed (those weren't optional but life happens) just because my boys like science.  The writing assignments I think I won't.  LOL  You can tell I am not a writer.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Yeah, optional to me means "pretend this isn't here".

Quoting jwhit8791:

We skipped a lot of the optional stuff in ours last year.  I am going to try and make up the science experiments that we missed (those weren't optional but life happens) just because my boys like science.  The writing assignments I think I won't.  LOL  You can tell I am not a writer.

• JadeTigr7
    July 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I use it as a basic guide and then do what works best with my kids.

• AutymsMommy
    July 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I don't really have any "scripted" curricula; I have textbooks, worktexts, etc, but none are so scripted that they tell me what to do.

Wish they did, though. Lesson planning would be easier. Lol!

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    The more familiar I am with it, the more I use it as a guide than actually following it.
  • mhaney03
    July 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    I skip the speed drills in our math.
  • bether89
    July 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I follow the curriculum, but sometimes skip and add if I feel it is needed.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    When I had a scripted curric (Saxon math) I HATED it. I found myself actually reading it to my child instead of teaching her. I am so, so glad we don't use it anymore.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't really have any "scripted" curricula; I have textbooks, worktexts, etc, but none are so scripted that they tell me what to do.

Wish they did, though. Lesson planning would be easier. Lol!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts