Homeschooling Moms

Cafe MichelleP
7 Reasons I'd Never Homeschool My Teen
July 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Stir article I am posting for discussion.

7 Reasons I'd Never Homeschool My Teen

by Ericka Sóuter

booksI recently came across the story of a Tesca Fitzgerald, who, at 12, is getting ready to start college and plans to be working her Ph.D. by age 16. Her proud mother credited her daughter's genius to the fact that she was homeschooled. Amazing, right? But I have to tell you, that is as impressive as it is crazy. It made me wonder if I could homeschool my teen or pre-teen. With the cost of private school in New York City, the idea is an attractive one. But I quickly came to my senses and here's why. Check out the 7 reasons I'd never home school my teen.

1. I could probably get him through algebra and geometry, but we'd both need a tutor when it came to calculus. Sure, I took it in high school but it was in one ear and out the other as soon as the final was finished.
  2. I can't imagine his first intense classroom setting being a college lecture. Talk about intimidating.
  3. We'd get sick of each other by week four two. 
  4. When he complains about his bitchy teacher, he'll be talking about me.
  5. When I complain about my crappy job, I'll be talking about him.
  6. I can't teach him the same survival instincts you learn navigating your way though mean girls, jocks, geeks, or whichever else cliques exist these days.
  7. I'm not a trained educator. Parents love to complain about their kids' teachers but it's a tough job. Probably one of the toughest. It's a combo of instructor, counselor, soother, conflict resolution expert, and motivator. How exhausting is that?!

I tip my hat to all those moms and dads who successfully homeschool their children. It's clearly not something every parent can do.

Do you think you could homeschool your teen?

Are you homeschooling your teen? Do you intend to homeschool when your children are teens?

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    July 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I wouldn't put that woman in charge of homeschooling a hamster. Hmph.

The author has clearly never bothered to look into homeschooling. I couldn't get my dd through basic algebra, much less the trig she's taking next year. That's why I looked into good curriculum and have a back-up plan for tutoring if needed.

I'm homeschooling my teen because it's the best thing for her. When it comes down to the wire, parents suck it up and do what's necessary, up to and including making sure their teen has the best education possible.

• mommy4lyf
    July 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Glad she doesn't have a child with special needs. She might end up in jail.
  • NYCitymomx3
    July 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 1.  I could probably get him through algebra and geometry, but we'd both need a tutor when it came to calculus. Sure, I took it in high school but it was in one ear and out the other as soon as the final was finished.
  • 2,  I can't imagine his first intense classroom setting being a college lecture. Talk about intimidating.
  • 3.  We'd get sick of each other by week four two. 
  • 4.  When he complains about his bitchy teacher, he'll be talking about me.
  • 5.  When I complain about my crappy job, I'll be talking about him.
  • 6.  I can't teach him the same survival instincts you learn navigating your way though mean girls, jocks, geeks, or whichever else cliques exist these days.
  • 7.  I'm not a trained educator. Parents love to complain about their kids' teachers but it's a tough job. Probably one of the toughest. It's a combo of instructor, counselor, soother, conflict resolution expert, and motivator. How exhausting is that?!

• I can understand how parents who have no clue about homeschooling may feel this way.  For me, this list is ridiculous.

#1:  Higher math is not a big deal nowadays with the internet and the great math programs out there.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  My dd is in public high school and is taking Trig this year.  I will be sitting with her making sure she understands it, too.  

#2:  HUH?  My homeschooled tween has been taking classes with his homeschool group since he was 5.  The older he got, the more intense the classes - and his classes were taught by professionals in that field.  Art at art galleries in downtown Manhattan or at museums like the Met, Science at the science center or the big national laboratory, History at the famous, big museums or historic sites (Grant's Tomb and Ellis Island for example), Finance at the Federal Reserve.  I can go on and on.

#3-5:  These are a non-issue.  All the long-term homeschoolers I know (and I know tons of them) don't have these problems.  Homeschooled kids usually have more indepence, are more self-sufficient, and are more mature than non-homeschoolers.  Parents feel nothing but pride and awe.  And the kids know they have it so much better.  These feel like they were written by someone who doesn't homeschool.

#6:  So homeschoolers live under a rock??  Homeschooled tweens and teens can still be mean girls, jocks, geeks, and have cliques.  It's rare, but there.  Thankfully, homeschoolers aren't forced to spend time with people they don't like (just like adults arent either) and they can choose who they want to associate with (like adults do).

#7:  No one knows my kid like I do.  I know how he learns, what his interests are, and how he works best.  He gets to follow his passions and have a real childhood.  I never get tired of being with my kids.  I never get tired of homeschooling.  I will always love being their counselor, soother, motivator, etc.  

My kids have the choice of homeschooling high school or not.  My 19 y/o dd chose to go to a high school for journalism since she is an amazing writer - Looking back, she feels she could have gotten more out of homeschooling.  16 y/o dd chose to go to a high school for performing arts since she is an amazing dancer.  It's the best PA school in the country and the dance training is unbelievable, but she said she would prefer being able to homeschool for the academics because classroom learning is so dry and boring.  12 y/o ds is amazing at so many things and has chosen not to be holed up in a building all day.  He would rather continue getting real-world experience and taking advantage of the endless opportunities here in NYC. 

So YES I will be homeschooling my teen!

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    Ow! My head.
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    I know homeschooling isn't for everyone, but that sounds more like excuses than reasons, sorry.
  • Maridel
    by Maridel
    July 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    How do i make one of those faces rolling its eyes? Seriously it amazes how many parents don't like spending time with their kids
  • Sister_Someone
    July 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

#7 is the reason why I think homeschooling is just wrong. I wouldn't let someone unqualified or underqualified even step a foot into the lab where I work in fear of them damaging something, so obviously I won't pretend I can teach when I'm not qualified to be an educator.

• Knightquester
    July 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

That's exactly what they are.  Excuses on why she feels insecure enough to not be able to homeschool.  I can't even picture typing some of those "reasons" of hers, much less thinking them.  It's just sad really.

Quoting Dawn07:

I know homeschooling isn't for everyone, but that sounds more like excuses than reasons, sorry.

• Momof697
    July 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I will be hsing through highschool.

• Momof697
    July 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

• 1.  I could probably get him through algebra and geometry, but we'd both need a tutor when it came to calculus. Sure, I took it in high school but it was in one ear and out the other as soon as the final was finished.
  • 2,  I can't imagine his first intense classroom setting being a college lecture. Talk about intimidating.
  • 3.  We'd get sick of each other by week four two. 
  • 4.  When he complains about his bitchy teacher, he'll be talking about me.
  • 5.  When I complain about my crappy job, I'll be talking about him.
  • 6.  I can't teach him the same survival instincts you learn navigating your way though mean girls, jocks, geeks, or whichever else cliques exist these days.
  • 7.  I'm not a trained educator. Parents love to complain about their kids' teachers but it's a tough job. Probably one of the toughest. It's a combo of instructor, counselor, soother, conflict resolution expert, and motivator. How exhausting is that?!

• I can understand how parents who have no clue about homeschooling may feel this way.  For me, this list is ridiculous.

#1:  Higher math is not a big deal nowadays with the internet and the great math programs out there.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  My dd is in public high school and is taking Trig this year.  I will be sitting with her making sure she understands it, too.  

#2:  HUH?  My homeschooled tween has been taking classes with his homeschool group since he was 5.  The older he got, the more intense the classes - and his classes were taught by professionals in that field.  Art at art galleries in downtown Manhattan or at museums like the Met, Science at the science center or the big national laboratory, History at the famous, big museums or historic sites (Grant's Tomb and Ellis Island for example), Finance at the Federal Reserve.  I can go on and on.

#3-5:  These are a non-issue.  All the long-term homeschoolers I know (and I know tons of them) don't have these problems.  Homeschooled kids usually have more indepence, are more self-sufficient, and are more mature than non-homeschoolers.  Parents feel nothing but pride and awe.  And the kids know they have it so much better.  These feel like they were written by someone who doesn't homeschool.

#6:  So homeschoolers live under a rock??  Homeschooled tweens and teens can still be mean girls, jocks, geeks, and have cliques.  It's rare, but there.  Thankfully, homeschoolers aren't forced to spend time with people they don't like (just like adults arent either) and they can choose who they want to associate with (like adults do).

#7:  No one knows my kid like I do.  I know how he learns, what his interests are, and how he works best.  He gets to follow his passions and have a real childhood.  I never get tired of being with my kids.  I never get tired of homeschooling.  I will always love being their counselor, soother, motivator, etc.  

My kids have the choice of homeschooling high school or not.  My 19 y/o dd chose to go to a high school for journalism since she is an amazing writer - Looking back, she feels she could have gotten more out of homeschooling.  16 y/o dd chose to go to a high school for performing arts since she is an amazing dancer.  It's the best PA school in the country and the dance training is unbelievable, but she said she would prefer being able to homeschool for the academics because classroom learning is so dry and boring.  12 y/o ds is amazing at so many things and has chosen not to be holed up in a building all day.  He would rather continue getting real-world experience and taking advantage of the endless opportunities here in NYC. 

So YES I will be homeschooling my teen!

good answers. I am just starting hosmeschooling my teens (i have been homeschooling for 11 yrs but my oldest one is in 9th grade this year. I have 4 others and the youngest is going nto 3rd grade. 

• Homeschooling Moms