Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mommy2Phenley
When would you start K?
July 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM
DD is 5 (June bday), and very excited to be considered a kindergartener this year. She keeps asking me when the first day of school is. She really wants me to give her a first day to count down to.

The thing is, she's been working at a first grade level for a while now and we've been schooling through the summer. So not a lot is going to change once she's "officially" K. We're almost finished with HWT so we can start the next book on our first day. Same with building thinking skills. Math and science we're right in the middle of so no changes there. I'll be ordering some new games and hands on stuff so I can bring those out day 1 to make it more interesting. I've also promised her a trip to the store for a backpack and new school supplies. So enough I can make it something new and hopefully meet her expectations of k.

The problem is I can't give her a date. I have a big surgery looming and I don't know when it will be. I don't want to give her a date then be unavailable for it, or get two days in and then have to stop.

So when would you start? Wait til I have a date then start a couple weeks after regardless? Start with other kids here and just deal when surgery comes? Quickly get our new year planned and let her start in just a couple weeks? I know it doesn't really matter, but it does to her. And this surgery is stressing her out a bit and my limitations are getting to us all.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    July 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM

I might wait until I have a surgery date and then give her a 2 week countdown.  Do you have a ballpark for when your surgery will be?  Maybe make the countdown until Labor Day?  That's when schools around here used to start when I was a kid.  Now they start mid August, but last year we did a traditional start.  We didn't like it and decided to go all year now, but it was cool to discuss the reasons school started later in the past. 

• Annastacialynn
    July 16, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    I think I would set a "start date" sooner rather than later. I would make a big deal about getting the backpack and school supplies and make a special first day breakfast or lunch. She probably won't care if she is starting new books or not, just so its a special day. :-)

I would also explain that once you know when your surgery is, you can sit down and plan how school will work out. Maybe if you have some books she can work in on her own (or sticker books/activity books) for the time after your surgery until you can get back on your feet might make her feel a little better. Maybe if she has a routine right now with school (that she sounds very excited about!) it will help her with the uncertainty of the upcoming surgery. I hope this helps. :-)
  • BramblePatch
    July 16, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    I am having big surgery in 2.5 hours.....my kids are anxious, too. In fact, instead of putting coloring books in my suitcase for when they visit they put in their new workbooks, lol. I will just not have a start date for a few weeks. I feel bad but......it is what it is :-)
  • Mommy2Phenley
    July 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    We're aiming for about 2 months out. But it could be sooner or later. The biggest holdup is I have to wean the baby :::sob::: as soon as we accomplish that or see the end in sight we can call to schedule. From there I don't know what the wait time will be. Maybe he'll get me in right away, maybe it will be a month wait. No idea. But the problem is getting worse every day and if it takes a nose dive, I might be in next week and we'll have to make things work with the baby.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I might wait until I have a surgery date and then give her a 2 week countdown.  Do you have a ballpark for when your surgery will be?  Maybe make the countdown until Labor Day?  That's when schools around here used to start when I was a kid.  Now they start mid August, but last year we did a traditional start.  We didn't like it and decided to go all year now, but it was cool to discuss the reasons school started later in the past. 

• bluerooffarm
    July 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I'm so sorry you have to wean the baby!  I'd just wait.  Give yourself time to wean, time for the surgery, and time to heal and recover.  You can always give her a countdown later.  Maybe count down to your back-to-school shopping spree for now and play the rest by ear. 

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

We're aiming for about 2 months out. But it could be sooner or later. The biggest holdup is I have to wean the baby :::sob::: as soon as we accomplish that or see the end in sight we can call to schedule. From there I don't know what the wait time will be. Maybe he'll get me in right away, maybe it will be a month wait. No idea. But the problem is getting worse every day and if it takes a nose dive, I might be in next week and we'll have to make things work with the baby.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• Mommy2Phenley
    July 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    This sounds like a very good plan. Her stuff is all pretty open and go and easy to figure out, other than Singapore. I'm going to have someone with me around the clock for 4-6 weeks. So *maybe* if we have a routine down, whoever is helping me can do some with her. When it's not DH it will usually be my mom or MIL. And I'm sure I could do school after just a couple days. Just enough for the icky, pain, narcotic coma junk to wear off.

Quoting Annastacialynn:

I think I would set a "start date" sooner rather than later. I would make a big deal about getting the backpack and school supplies and make a special first day breakfast or lunch. She probably won't care if she is starting new books or not, just so its a special day. :-)

I would also explain that once you know when your surgery is, you can sit down and plan how school will work out. Maybe if you have some books she can work in on her own (or sticker books/activity books) for the time after your surgery until you can get back on your feet might make her feel a little better. Maybe if she has a routine right now with school (that she sounds very excited about!) it will help her with the uncertainty of the upcoming surgery. I hope this helps. :-)

• KLove_Mom
    July 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Since you've been working with her through the summer anyway, I'd do the opposite of what most of these moms are suggesting...

I would say "Wow, your first day of school is next Monday." And use this week to do something fun to "end the summer break" and something to prepare for school like organizing the supplies.

Then when you have the surgery you can take a 2-3 week fall break. 

• Mommy2Phenley
    July 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    Oh that could work too, counting down to the shopping.

Weaning is not going so well. She understands what we're saying and is more attached than before we started trying. But I need this done soon so we can't take too long.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm so sorry you have to wean the baby!  I'd just wait.  Give yourself time to wean, time for the surgery, and time to heal and recover.  You can always give her a countdown later.  Maybe count down to your back-to-school shopping spree for now and play the rest by ear. 

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• Mommy2Phenley
    July 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    Good luck with your surgery!

Quoting BramblePatch:

I am having big surgery in 2.5 hours.....my kids are anxious, too. In fact, instead of putting coloring books in my suitcase for when they visit they put in their new workbooks, lol. I will just not have a start date for a few weeks. I feel bad but......it is what it is :-)

• bellaamore
    July 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Sorry if ot, but what is hwt?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN