Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
Everyone has an opinion
July 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Hi all. I hope you dont mind if I use you as a sounding board.

This past weekend, we went to a friends house. It was her birthday and every year she has a theme party. No children, all adults. It is an equal mix of parents vs non parents. School aged parents vs baby parents. 

My friend and I were talking about my decision to homeschool this fall. Since it was a party there isnt much privacy, but we weren't speaking loudly or to the group as a whole.  It seems like that night EVERYONE had an opinion. I don't mind if anyone disagrees with me. They dont know our circumstances or why we reached the decision we did, but they sure didnt mind offering up an opinion. Not one person bother to ask, WHY we choose to. 

Maybe I was just being sensitive, but a lot of these people arent even friends, they are mearly aquaintances that are friends with the friend that invited me. 

Do you find that people seem to always have an opinion on your parenting choices whether it is homeschooling or something else? 

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Everyone has opinions and most people enjoy sharing them, whether you want to hear them or not.  I ran into that this weekend.  We had a girls weekend and I got an earful from most of the people there about homeschooling. 

• celticdragon77
    July 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Exactly!!

Most people think that their opinion NEEDS to be put out there. Hell, that is what makes Cafemom. And even on Cafemom where you know that you asked for the opinions... some people's responses can grind the nerves. 

Quoting kmath:

Everyone has opinions and most people enjoy sharing them, whether you want to hear them or not.  I ran into that this weekend.  We had a girls weekend and I got an earful from most of the people there about homeschooling. 

• bluerooffarm
    July 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, they have an opinion.  Once I have had more than enough I am rude enough to say "Opinions are like a$$h0!s, everyone has one and we're all better off when we don't pull them out and show them around."  I've never had anyone say anything after hearing that.

• MacMamaof5
    July 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I have a saying I follow for this:  "Anyone NOT contributing to my success, is disqualified to judge my life".  Keep that in your pocket for those wanna-be "experts" out there and have fun with the conversations.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Some times but most people don't have the guts to say anything against it to my face .

• debramommyof4
    July 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    I have this one parent that always says that is nice but I could never do that. After the 15th millionth time it is enough.
  • AutymsMommy
    July 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Well, I know it may not be popular, but if you're going to discuss something like this at a party, I kind of feel that you're inviting opinions, lol.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    I had one of the kids I brought to camp (about 8 or 9) that dd told her she was homeschooled. The girl turned around to me, not my daughter and said, "don't you think you need to put her in public school." I just said nope. She asked why and I calmly told her because I'm her mother.
    Everyone will have an opinion or a comment, and not just on homeschooling.
  • Pukalani79
    July 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I had a friend of mine ask me today if I planned on continuing to homeschool this year.  Yes.... I wanted to ask why wouldn't I, but I wasn't up for the conversation. So I just nodded and moved on

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    I usually get positive comments, or the standard "I could NEVER do that". I'm sorry people felt the need to say those things to you. Why do strangers care?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts