Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
oredeb
What has been or is your greatest challenge with homeschooling??
by oredeb
July 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM

What has been or is your greatest challenge with homeschooling??

Replies

• debramommyof4
    July 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

My biggest challenge has been giving up the school room expectations.  I do keep a school room because it makes organizing easier.  But I did expect the kids to behave like they were in a school classroom when we first brought my oldest home from public school. 

I have learned to not expect that and am hoping this year I will not struggle as much with it.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    July 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    Something similar. I thrived in the small private school.setting and tried recreating that at home.I'm very OCD and a what I call a. "box checker" (if there is a lesson plan, I must do it.all, and get to exact) so it has been really hard for me to relax and loosen up.

Quoting debramommyof4:

My biggest challenge has been giving up the school room expectations.  I do keep a school room because it makes organizing easier.  But I did expect the kids to behave like they were in a school classroom when we first brought my oldest home from public school. 

I have learned to not expect that and am hoping this year I will not struggle as much with it.

• mommy4lyf
    July 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

The scheduling and breaking some of his old habits at home. Cutting time for video games, movies and etc. It took us 2-3 months to break those and settle for new schedule. There are still days when he's not into it so I would just let him do what he want.

• Bleacheddecay
    July 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

The hardest thing was letting go of worrying so much. I didn't achieve it until VERY late in our homeschooling. I wish I had though and much sooner.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    So far it has been balancing school time, housework, and a two year old.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    July 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I haven't really started yet, but the hardest part for me so far is getting all the lessons planned and scheduled.  I am figuring it out as I go, but it can be a major pain!

• gratefulgal
    July 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Learning that it all doesn;'t have to be done today. We school through the year, so I don't have to be *quite* so anal about getting everything done today. There is always tomorrow, and somehow if we don't get as in depth as I would like, we always seem to come back to it at a later time.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM

This is a great question!

I think my struggle is always balance, so I'll say that. I love researching everything related to homeschooling, making sure we are keeping on track, and monitoring my daughter's progress, so much so that I can ignore other aspects of her needs. I have to remember that my daughter doesn't always have to be learning. She needs to just be a kid. Turning off teacher mode and being just mom can be challenging.

• celticdragon77
    July 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM

DITTO!!!

Quoting kmath:

I haven't really started yet, but the hardest part for me so far is getting all the lessons planned and scheduled.  I am figuring it out as I go, but it can be a major pain!

• bluerooffarm
    July 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

As in everything these last 4 years, my biggest challenge has been my 4 year old.  He is an absolute wild man that can bring me to tears or make me literally pick up a pillow and scream into it with all my might.  He cannot be left alone for 2 minutes, he cannot be trusted, and he cannot be still.  The only thing that has kept me sane (and him alive, LOL) is yoga and our "time-out" strategy.  I do not control timeout, he puts himself there when he needs to center himself and get control.  And every great once in a while, I put myself there to get myself under control, LOL.  The rewards are quite worth it, but he can test me to the breaking point. 

Today's reward:  We are working on first aide.  He pulled the "stinger" out of my arm, put the fernwood sting stuff on the "ouchie," put on the bandaid, and pointed to the tablets he would take if it had been he who was bitten.  (My oldest properly bandaged a sprained ankle, and my middle properly bandaged a large scrape.)  They all did such a great job and explained what they were doing as they were doing it.  Awesome!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN