Homeschooling Moms

xoemmalee
Confused :(
July 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM
I'm sure all of you homeschooling veterans hear this a lot, but... I am a tiny bit confused about our decision to homeschool. My husband and I want our DD (4) in pre k but we have decided we want to homeschool. If it goes well this year I plan to do it next year for Kindergarten and so on. My daughter is so excited to stay at home to learn but I catch myself sometimes wondering if it is the right thing to do. I worry a little bit because I don't want her missing out on fun school experiences. Making friends, recess, backpacks (lol), and all of that fun school stuff! But then again I believe I can give her a better education than a teacher who is in a room with 30 other kids who also need attention. Did any of you homeschooling moms go through something similar? How did you decide what was right for you and your children? Any tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! XO

Replies

• Precious333
    July 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM
    There will be so much more to look forward to when you homeschool! If she misses.it, pack her backpack and head toward the library and take breaks at the park :)

But really, if you can find other homeschoolers, having support it great! Many plan park days etc for their homeschoolers, and other activities :)
  • Precious333
    July 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM
    Btw, at that age, i found that games and other activities really helped my young ones to be engaged and love learning, and lots if play time! Field trips are great too!
  • debramommyof4
    July 13, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    We finally found a co-op and there are always mommy and me play dates at that age so she can make friends and do fub stuff. Plus you can do all the crafts you want her to do.

My kids love being homeschooled. I have a 4 year old also this year and he loves going on all the field trips(library, play dates, museums) and he could not do that in a classroom.

We chose to homeschool when my oldest told us public school classrooms are a place for parents to send their kid to get a break.

We decided to never look back where she is concerned.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    July 13, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I once had all those ideas you mentioned  about home education.  But moms have teamed together through co-ops  to create field trips, play days, lesson co-ops, ceremonies, conventions, curriculum and more.  Home educated children actually have more interaction with adults and children of all ages, than do children who sit in a classroom with only 30 minutes of recess per day. 

• AutymsMommy
    July 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Making friends: she'll make friends; extracurriculars, co-ops, etc.

Recess: she gets recess! Lots of it!

A backpack: get her a backpack... it'll come in handy when you guys decide to do things she'd never be able to do at brick and mortar - like doing your work at the park or the book store while you eat ice cream :)

See? Problems solved.

• Bleacheddecay
    July 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I wanted my kids to be "normal" and start K-5 then go through 12 grade with the same people. There is no normal. School typically isn't fun.

My kids opted out of school in 4th and 6th grades when my oldest refused to go after a girl was raped at our "very good" middle school. I now wish I had never put them in K-5 where my oldest got molested during nap time by a child who had been held back and my youngest, along with all the other boys was recommended to be held back and medicated.

If I could do it all over again, I would NEVER have put my kids in school. I would have homeschooled from the get go. Our preschool was private at a church and very good but I so wish I'd never put them in our "very good" schools.

Recess ended around third grade btw. And they were not allowed to talk in the lunchroom or while waiting for pick up at the end of the day or in class.

• HarrisonMD
    July 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I feel it's more important that our kids get a well rounded education from us than from a B&M school! Sure there are moments when I would love for them experience what we did when we were kids...but I know things are a lot different now than they were back then to some degree! As for socialization...we are involved in all kinds of activities, so I don't worry about it! Relax and have fun and know that you are teaching your kids each and every day!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

hi xo,

well when i first decided to hs it was because i didnt want any of my kids to be around all the bullying that goes on in school, as time went on i added all the peer pressure, bombings, killings, etc.  now days i just enjoy teaching the kids! 

you can still do the backpacks, recess, making friends, and any other school stuff you think is fun,  if thats what you want, and keep out all the negative junk, peer pressure(right kinda pants, or shoes, etc) etc! 

your child is not going to know the difference since shes never been to ps, you and her can make your own memories hsing,

there are also extra things you can do for her to make friends, homeschool co ops, church, homeschool group, exta classes(ballet, gymnastics, baseball, etc)

you are right you will give her a better education than the ps with 30 kids or all that peer pressure, bullying, etc involved. go for it, she wont be missing anything and its very worth it! her schooling memories will be good.

my kids have all been homeschooled from the beginning to the end(graduation) theyve not missed anything

• rsrangel
    July 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    I think I remember making this SAME kind of post a few years ago! And realized that my kids would miss out on a lot more if they weren't homeschooled. Social: co-ops, church (if you go), extracurricular activities, neighborhood kids. Or heck....my kids make friends at the park, beach, pool, anywhere we go. They are far from under-socialized. They have learned to communicate with adults and people of all ages, and gained social skills they would have never gotten in school. Missing out on school events - that was a big one for me at the beginning, and honestly sometimes it still is. But we have our own events. A end of summer back to school bash for all their friends whether homeschooled or not, a graduation pool party for the ones finishing kindergarten and maybe 5th grade when we get there. They get backpacks and school supplies (I make a list and my mom takes them as she's done with my brothers kids growing up). Though the backpack is used for when we go on field trips, vacation, or a night at grandmas instead of school work lol. The homeschool group has TONS of field trips and events also. Give it a chance and remember you can always change your mind. I bet in a few years it will be you here answering this question for someone else. Good luck! :)
  • rsrangel
    July 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    O and how did I decide it was right? I didn't at that time. Just closed my eyes and jumped I lol. But I have no regrets and love it.

Homeschooling Moms