Homeschooling Moms

trendy2
One on One Support
by trendy2
July 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I am looking for someone who can give me some one on one support.  It's great to come here and post stuff but I want someone that is willing to PM, email or text me with answers to all 20,000 of my questions.  No I'm not nuts, LOL, just nervous as crap.  I have to start HS my DD and DS in a little over a month.  I don't have anything prepared.  I have no clue what to start with.  How to start my "school" day.  Etc...

I'm so worried that I am going to fail at this.  I feel like most days they don't listen to me like I want them to and I am afraid they won't want to learn from me either. 

Replies

• TJandKarasMom
    July 12, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I don't mind answering questions, I haven't officially started yet but I feel very knowledgable in many areas now.  It might help you to have someone in the same state as you to help with the legal part of it.  Have you spoken with anyone in person from a group in your area?  I know that helped me a LOT.

First advice: take a deap breath, you will do fine because you care.  How old are your kids and what state are you in?

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    July 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM

My kids are 5 & 6.  My DS has completed kindergarten.  I am in NC.  I haven't found anyone in my area to speak with.  I live in a small town.  I am so confused where to start.  I haven't done anything to prepare an area to teach them, which I figured I would use my dining room table since it isn't used for anything else.  I've got to figure out where and how and when to prepare for what they will need to know.  My DS is reading absolutely great!  I don't even know where to begin to teach my daughter.  Someone suggested that I join the HS yahoo group.  Can't seem to get that to work either. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I don't mind answering questions, I haven't officially started yet but I feel very knowledgable in many areas now.  It might help you to have someone in the same state as you to help with the legal part of it.  Have you spoken with anyone in person from a group in your area?  I know that helped me a LOT.

First advice: take a deap breath, you will do fine because you care.  How old are your kids and what state are you in?

• coala
    by coala
    July 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Pick away.  I am in Fl....planning a move to NC as soon as we locate property that we are happy with.

With that age you can start with a simple curriculum.  You can start the day by talking about the weather or about the basics of your day.  Their attention spans are very big at this age.  We use a boxed christian curriculum, so our day starts with bible.  They then move onto phonics, writting (mine do cursive, but this is usually copy work), arithmetic, reading, review of phonics, and depending on the grade they will talk about social studies, science or health.  Just a simple schedule and nothing lasts much longer than about 20 mins.  Give breaks.  Engage their whole bodies to keep them interested.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    July 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I'm tempted to buy a boxed curriculum just because I feel like I need something to give me direction and structure until I figure out what I like or need or what works for us. But then I dont' even know where to start on a boxed cirriculum. Basically I need it spelled out for me. I'm not usually one to be this way but I guess because I feel so much pressure to get it right since it is my children's education, I can't help myself.  I also have a 10 month old who naps two to three times a day.  She won't nap without nursing so this does pose a little bit of an issue with the teaching since it can take her a little while.  I feel like I need to be doing so much with my DS since he has already been in K and is reading on a first grade level.  I don't want him to fall behind.  Then on the other side of that, I have been told that when HS, kids are not expected to learn as much as their peers who are the same age and in school.  Maybe I am feeling pressure to keep up with what he would be doing in 1st grade.  I just don't know...

Quoting coala:

Pick away.  I am in Fl....planning a move to NC as soon as we locate property that we are happy with.

With that age you can start with a simple curriculum.  You can start the day by talking about the weather or about the basics of your day.  Their attention spans are very big at this age.  We use a boxed christian curriculum, so our day starts with bible.  They then move onto phonics, writting (mine do cursive, but this is usually copy work), arithmetic, reading, review of phonics, and depending on the grade they will talk about social studies, science or health.  Just a simple schedule and nothing lasts much longer than about 20 mins.  Give breaks.  Engage their whole bodies to keep them interested.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I think you'll be amazed at how much they learn and how quickly.  With a large class, classroom teachers can't move at a pace appropriate to each individual child, so things go at a different pace home vs. school.  I feel your pain about the paying attention and listening.  My 6 and 4.5 year olds try my patience.  But they can also learn in smaller snippets.  I went to our library and was able to check out BOB books, which my son read in kindergarten.  Check with your library, they have good resources.  Nice math books, too, that are stories that introduce math concepts.  I spent last night worried as all get out that I'm not doing the right thing, so you're not alone in that boat!  There's a lot of pressure, and as moms we want to get it "right."  If only we all had a magic ball and could look 10 years down the road!

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    July 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I'm happy to respond to your questions/worries. We're starting our 3rd year and by no means an expert but definitely much more relaxed and less worried (most of the time anyway) than I was when I was first starting out.  How old are your kiddos?  I'm Olivia & my boys are 8, 6, 3.  I think what helped me the most when starting out was finding a local support group, from there I found others who were just starting out & we are still friends now, as well as more experienced, relaxed moms.  So PM me and I'll happily respond!

• AutymsMommy
    July 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I'm in SC (depending on where you are in NC, not far, and I sometimes visit the Ashevile outskirts area to see childhood friends; since that's where I grew up).

If you PM me, I'd be happy to give you my cell number - we can text... or you can just call when you start to freak, lol.

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    July 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM

It's tempting to buy boxed curriculum but so many people who do end up regretting it because it isn't all the right-level/grade.  I have found a lot of great resources from my local library, I usually check out reference books about homeschool and then decide if they are worth buying. One that I did think was great is "The 3 R's" by Ruth Beechick, it is geared towards homeschooling for the early elementary ages (I think it covers up to 3rd grade).  My boys are all 3rd grade and under. It gives great instruction about teaching how to read which I am going to implement with my youngest who is about to turn 4. His oldest brother learned in school before we decided to homeschool, and our 2nd DS basically taught himself how to read when he was 4.  I was a little worried about how to teach our youngest, when the time comes, but after reading that book I am not!

A lot of your fears/worries will ease with time. Hang in there!

• TJandKarasMom
    July 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    As far as buying a boxed curriculum, I have heard so many people that did it and did not like it. You can try this allinonehomeschool.com, it's all free and it's a lot of the subjects and grade levels, some might be older than your kids but you can modify to meet their needs.

With your younger one, to start make sure she knows her letters and sounds, then just slowly start showing her how the sounds go together to make words. Read to her a lot. Point to words as you read them. She will pick it up, it might take some time, but she will get it. You can watch YouTube videos on how to teach reading, and find lots of resources online and at the library. Ask your librarian, they may know of other homeschoolers in the area, and they should know of some homeschooling resources.

Check the laws and requirements for your state. Also, what I did to start my planning was to list each subject I wanted to cover (I used the goal planner at donnayoung.com), and what my goals were for each kid in those subjects. That gave me an outline to see where to start with curriculum. The goals have already changed with the more I've learned and I'm sure they will keep changing, and that's what's great about HS, you can change it as much as your kids need you to. I also asked my kids what they wanted to learn about, some things they don't get much of a say in, but other things they have almost completely determined (they are older though) but your little ones might be interested in dinosaurs, so you throw some Dino learning in, or trains or butterflies. When they ask a question, write it down and make a little unit study out of it.

Feel free to pm me, or others, and post in the group, I have asked about 20,000 questions too, and no one has told me to stop asking so many questions, yet!

Quoting trendy2:

My kids are 5 & 6.  My DS has completed kindergarten.  I am in NC.  I haven't found anyone in my area to speak with.  I live in a small town.  I am so confused where to start.  I haven't done anything to prepare an area to teach them, which I figured I would use my dining room table since it isn't used for anything else.  I've got to figure out where and how and when to prepare for what they will need to know.  My DS is reading absolutely great!  I don't even know where to begin to teach my daughter.  Someone suggested that I join the HS yahoo group.  Can't seem to get that to work either. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    July 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I have two boys that I have homeschooled from the beginning.  They are going into 4th and 6th grade.  Feel free to pm me at any time.  Have you tried yahoo groups to find local groups.  It can really help to know homeschoolers locally.  There is nothing wrong with starting with a boxed curriculum.  I started with one.  It helped to know what I liked and didn't like.  I now use a very relaxed eclectic style.  I recommend you read as many homeschooling books as you can on the different methods.  

Homeschooling Moms