Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
I am so offended...advice??
July 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Last week I wrote a post about believing my youngest is dyslexic.

I researched and researched for hours about it and how to teach her best, specifically in spelling-her reading is not so bad, but her writing and spelling are very hard to read.  I found a program that looked really good, but was close to $300, so I emailed the author just to see if she had any other options or ideas.  Here is what I wrote to her:

Hello Ms. van den Honert,
I was wondering if there are any used copies of Reading from Scratch or if you ever offer any discounts?  I am a new homeschooling mom with a 10 year old daughter with dyslexia.  Growing up, my brother had dyslexia and there wasn’t much they really did.  He now still has a hard time reading and writing, he barely finished high school with a lot of help from our mom, and he dropped out of college soon after starting.  I want better results for my daughter.  This program sounds amazing but since I am no longer working, spending over $200 is just not an option for us.  I wonder if you would even lend a copy out and we could write a review or something?  Or if you have any ideas for us to do this on our own at home, I am an education major so I have a lot of ideas, but none specifically for children with dyslexia.
Anything you can do to help, even just some ideas for at home, would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time!

Debbie

I cannot believe the response I got from her, I am so offended and think this was way out of line..here is her response:

Dear Debbie,

The total price of the Reading from Scratch program is less than $300.  Other methods run into the thousands and don't teach the child to read well.  I strongly suggest that you send your daughter back to public school and get a job.  Your pay can cover the cost of RfS as well as a tutor for three lessons a week of 45 minutes each.  Or you might have a grandparent or nice neighbor, NEITHER DYSLECTIC, who could help out your little girl.  It should only take one school year to get her fixed up. 

Dorothy

So, since I am so offended, of course I am immediately typing an email back.  But I don't want to sound as rude as she did.  So here is what I want to say, can you tell me if you think I am too emotional or if this is a well deserved response?

Dear Dorothy,
I found your reply very rude and unprofessional.  I worked in the public school and my income would then only cover the program and a tutor, that's how poorly support staff is paid.  My daughter was in the public school for five years.  With every meeting and every concern we shared, not a single teacher in that five years suggested she may be dyslexic or need additional help.  
She can read, basically "on level" for her age.  I am more concerned with her education than to throw her back in the system where she was just pushed along.  She will get much better results with me looking out for her best interests than in a class of 25 children.  And I do like to spend time with my children, having her in school all day with an additional 45 minutes three times a week with a tutor would be a lot more "schooling" than one should need.
I am not dyslexic and have a degree in education, I have found some other programs and have educated myself and am fully confident that I can provide her with the skills necessary to be successful in life, even without any overpriced program written by greedy people.

Thank you for the time you took to respond, I would hope you are not so rude to your paying customers.

Some of it is harsh, but I am so offended and this is my immediate reaction.  I'm sure I will tone it down before I send it.  But really?  Is this how people do business??  Everyone else I have emailed or spoken with has been so much more polite!

ETA: I now want to also include something about "getting her fixed up"  I don't think my daughter needs fixing!  She is perfect the way she is, I just want to give her the skills to be able to write a letter without feeling bad she can't spell.  Some of the most important people to our society were dyslexic, we don't need to "fix" them.  I don't even want a program that thinks a special need should be "fixed."

Replies

• dazguti
    by dazguti
    July 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Wow.  You are being MUCH kinder than I think I would be.  How insensitive and presumptuous of her.  I can't help in the "tone it down" department, because I wouldn't.  I'm glad you posted the name of the company.  We will never, ever consider using any of their products.

• littlelambe2
    July 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I'd send it as is. Also, I'd call the company and report her. That is rude, unprofessional, and the company would like to know how a representative treated you. 

• TJandKarasMom
    July 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I was considering blanking it out, but decided others should be aware of it too and I will be sure to NOT recommend this to anyone.  And typically, I am not like that.  But I felt she was so blatently rude!

Quoting dazguti:

Wow.  You are being MUCH kinder than I think I would be.  How insensitive and presumptuous of her.  I can't help in the "tone it down" department, because I wouldn't.  I'm glad you posted the name of the company.  We will never, ever consider using any of their products.

• TJandKarasMom
    July 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I am pretty sure she IS the company, she is the author anyway, unless she has someone answering her emails. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

I'd send it as is. Also, I'd call the company and report her. That is rude, unprofessional, and the company would like to know how a representative treated you. 

• littlelambe2
    July 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Oh. Then forget about reporting. I would definitely send her what you wrote. In my opinion, it's not that rude except for the last sentence about greedy people. Hahaha. But it's so true. What people will do for a buck!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I am pretty sure she IS the company, she is the author anyway, unless she has someone answering her emails. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

• TJandKarasMom
    July 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM

She is an idiot on the business end anyway because I totally could have asked my parents to purchase it for DD, or if we get approved for the scholarship we applied for I definitely would have considered spending some of it on the program, but not now!  She just lost my business, and possiby others as well.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Oh. Then forget about reporting. I would definitely send her what you wrote. In my opinion, it's not that rude except for the last sentence about greedy people. Hahaha. But it's so true. What people will do for a buck!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting littlelambe2:

• littlelambe2
    July 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Maybe you should write that in your response as well.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

She is an idiot on the business end anyway because I totally could have asked my parents to purchase it for DD, or if we get approved for the scholarship we applied for I definitely would have considered spending some of it on the program, but not now!  She just lost my business, and possiby others as well.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting littlelambe2:

• Jenn8604
    July 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    WOW! I'm being nice here. but she was a total bitch! You were willing to promote HER stuff just if you could get a small discount. That's basically paying for an advertisement. Only I'm sure CHEAPER!
    Sorry she was a bitch. And you were VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY NICE in your response. I'd have wrote back with a vicious reply and said screw professionalism.

(Yes, there needs to be very that many times.)
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    Wow, she was totally rude!
  • AutymsMommy
    July 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Holy son of a beaver!!!!

Look, did I tell you about Apples and Pears and Dancing Bears?

Seriously - Apples and Pears spelling has been a GODSEND for my dyslexic horrible speller (dd, age 11). It runs $45. It's amazing.

They have a sister reading program (Dancing Bears) if it's necessary, but we just use the spelling program.

Google Apples and Pears Spelling and then have your daughter take the placement test.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts