Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
billiejo79
I need some help on explaining sonlight to my dh
July 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I am looking at using Sonlight for my oldest 2 girls this year. They are going into 4th grade and 6th grade. My dh can't understand how they could both be using the same Core. I have tried explaining it and he just doesn't get it.

Replies

• dazguti
    by dazguti
    July 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    I would for sure call one of the Sonlight curriculum advisors (all Sonlight parents). They are awesome, helpful, so nice, and experienced. I'll bet theyve had plenty of prospective parents ask the same exact question! you can also do an online chat with them. Best of luck!
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Having them do the same history and even science is fine. Each can work to his own capabilities for math, grammar, reading and writing but get the benefits from the discussions and interaction, not to mention, build sibling relationships.

History and science aren't so based upon "grade level" though each will process the information a bit differently. That, too, is fine. Those are informational subjects that don't really develop grade level skills. I think that is a distinction that may help your dh understand.

Read books written by Ruth Beechick, Charlotte Mason, and John Holt for the general philosophies behind this type of learning.

• billiejo79
    July 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Thanks. I should have clarified I ment same core for just History and science.

Quoting lucsch:

Having them do the same history and even science is fine. Each can work to his own capabilities for math, grammar, reading and writing but get the benefits from the discussions and interaction, not to mention, build sibling relationships.

History and science aren't so based upon "grade level" though each will process the information a bit differently. That, too, is fine. Those are informational subjects that don't really develop grade level skills. I think that is a distinction that may help your dh understand.

Read books written by Ruth Beechick, Charlotte Mason, and John Holt for the general philosophies behind this type of learning.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Yes, I assumed that to be so...that's how Sonlight works. We used the P4/5 and K levels before switching to Heart of Dakoa, which is lit-based but not really meant to be used for the whole family. Each child has his own level. For us, it doesn't matter, as I only have one child to teach. My Father's World is another one that is allows familly to share core subjects like Sonlight.

Quoting billiejo79:

Thanks. I should have clarified I ment same core for just History and science.

Quoting lucsch:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN