Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
redhead-bedhead
I'm thinking of trying something this year.
July 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I'm thinking of starting a 5 week on/1 week off system. It just make a lot more sense for us. My theory is that it will give my DD a needed break and give me time to plan the next 5 weeks.

Has anyone tried this?

Replies

• mommy4lyf
    July 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    I would love to but will not work out for my son. We don't give regression a chance. Sat and Sun are good enough break for him.
  • AutymsMommy
    July 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Kind of.

We'll be doing a 12 week on/2 weeks off year 'round schedule this year, I think.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I think it is a good idea & worth trying to see if it works for your family.

• coala
    by coala
    July 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

We are doing 6 on 1 off.  I hope this will work better for them.  If my plan works the way it should then we should be done mid October.  This also gives me some catch up time if we have field trips or someone gets to sick to do any work.

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

We have planned breaks. It doesn't equal out to 5 weeks on, 1 week off but we have breaks off and on, planned out.

• CatFishMom
    July 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Ive heard of six on, two off and Im going to try it this year. :-) My son gets burned out after a little while, so I think it'll benefit us greatly.
    And I have to share because it made me chuckle-when I read the title of your post, my brain reversed the words and I read 'Im trying to think of something this year'. I immediately started wondering what you were trying to think of until I reread the title. Sorry, Im tired, so it's probably just amusing to me.

• redhead-bedhead
    July 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I thought about doing a longer stretch like that, but we primarily "unschooled" last year and it made my husband uncomfortable, so we agreed to try traditional schooling this year.

My daughter is only 6 years old as well, so I thought she might benefit with more breaks.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Kind of.

We'll be doing a 12 week on/2 weeks off year 'round schedule this year, I think.

• livanded
    July 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    I have tried making a schedual like this for our homeschool, for us it never works out. So for now I just have a plan for what we will be learning and what order would be good (even that is negotiable) and we do school whenever dd and I feel like doing it. We do school between 3 and 6 days a week whereever we are.
  • redhead-bedhead
    July 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

How old is she?

I have seen this common with younger kids.

I think being flexible with younger ones is a must.

Quoting livanded:

I have tried making a schedual like this for our homeschool, for us it never works out. So for now I just have a plan for what we will be learning and what order would be good (even that is negotiable) and we do school whenever dd and I feel like doing it. We do school between 3 and 6 days a week whereever we are.

• livanded
    July 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    She is 5. :) and I for one hope that we are able to keep going the way we are. Even though it is new and totally different from my old ps ways, we are having fun and she enjoys learning.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts