Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
sadiebug1228
Homeschooling one and public for another??
July 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Does anyone do this? I'm curious cause my son is almost 5 and he is starting kindergarten this year at a public school. He has ADHD and has been a nightmare the past few months I don't even want to attempt to teach him anything lol (his daycare taught him everything he knows now) he's stubborn and fights everything.

But my dd is 18 months and special needs. I'm planning on homeschooling her if things go right. Her dr recommended we get her in school or start homeschooling at 3 cause she's so far behind everyone else her age. She needs to be in a special Ed program. I'm pretty confident in myself to be able to teach her cause she's a lot more patient that my son and even with being developmentally a 7 month old she seems to want to learn unlike my son who says "NOOOO I DONT WANT TOOOOO"

Do u have any in public school and homeschool some? Do u give ur children the option to homeschool or go to public? I'm just curious because my grandmother recently told me it was weird for me to send my ds to school but to homeschool my dd

Replies

• sadiebug1228
    July 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    Also if you have any tips on how to deal with my son that would be greatly appreciated! It's getting to the point that I don't even try to get him to do anything (write his name his numbers etc) and he HAS to learn to button his own pants before school and so far he won't!
  • debramommyof4
    July 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM

To me it sounds like your son has decided he needs you to step back. 

My 4 almost 5 year old son has decided this is what he wants when it comes to pooping his pants.  He refuses to stop.  So I have decided to focus on his 3 year old sister who decided to potty train herself.  When he does poop in the potty I praise like  crazy but I dont pressure him anymore.

Maybe if you just stop saying he needs to and make things a game and praise him when he decides to do it then maybe he will come around.

Some kids just do not do well with learning at home, so if you decide to try it kindergarden will be your best bet with him.

I give my children (7,6,4, and 3) the option of home or class or school at home.  This year I have one who is doing CAVA (online public school, school at home) she is 6, one in a public homeschool charter school, she is 7, the other two I am making up their curriculum and straight homeschooling them.

I am actually very suprised my 6 year old did not decide to go to a classroom.  She had wanted to, but changed her mind.  So we will see about next year. 

Homeschooling is about what is best for each child and the family as a whole.  So the beauty of it is that you choose what is wierd or wrong or not going to work.  Other families can just tell you what worked for them.

Good luck with your son.  I know you will figure it out.

• TJandKarasMom
    July 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    I know someone with 11 children, and she has some in ps and some homeschooled. I haven't spoken with her a lot, her son was in my class the three years I worked at our public prek/k, but I know some go to school and some are at home. When we asked the boy what school he was going to for 1st grade (our prek/k is one building, then we have two elem schools 1-4) and he said "home." (He's a man of few words lol). It *seems* to me that she gives each of them what they need, whether that's HS or ps.

I think you can do what you think is best. You could always send him for a year while he matures a little, then HS him after that year. Or you could kind of unschool for a year and just follow his lead instead of pushing him to learn-he will learn a ton by playing and listening to you read.
  • Pukalani79
    July 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

For awhile I had 1 at home and 2 in ps. Then it was 2 at home and 1 in ps.  Now it's 3 at home and none in ps, but I dont' know if it will always be like that.  For me - for us, I guess - it's more about what's best for each individual child.  I know not everyone agrees with me, but I believe that homeschooling is not necessarily best for every family and every child.  The point is to make sure our children have the best education possible.

• SusanTheWriter
    July 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I do it, but my kids are much older and we began homeschooling for different reasons.While I would just as soon bring them both home and fully indulge in a homeschool lifestyle, my DH sees this as the solution to a problem.

We hs our high school daughter to give her the chance to rebuild a bit and get on even emotional footing. I've had her at home for a year and a half and we're going to do one more year at home before sending her back to school for her senior year.

My DS, on the other hand, handles school and all its attendant responsibilities and issues just fine. The system is working for him, so DH sees no reason to fix it. In truth, DS is the kind of kid who blooms wherever he's planted. Unless a serious issue arises that can't be handled within the school, I expect that DS will continue through public school and not only succeed, but thrive there.

In other words, different strokes for different folks. :)

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I started with just the oldest to homeschool when he ran into way too much trouble at his charter this past year.  I had 3 other kids at that school (plus the 4 year old at home).  My rising 4th grader wants to stay home this year, and so my rising 2nd and 1st graders are asking about it as well.  When I had the 3 in school and the oldest at home, I would look at what they were learning, especially my 3rd grader because 3rd and 4th graders at their charter are together (my oldest was in 4th).  It's perfectly do-able, I think people will look at it as odd because they assume you're homeschooling for ideological reasons.  But I think you're very smart to look at it from the perspective of what's best for each child.

• Bleacheddecay
    July 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

ADHD kids need structure and lot's of it. This is why they often like school. I personally hate doing much structure so my child has always thought I should be tougher and have more rules. I know however, that had I done that, she would have simply had more things to fight with me about and she loved fighting. Taking various martial arts often helped.

Here is a link with how to help ADHD as well as survive the stress!

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_parenting_strategies.htm

• Momof697
    July 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

My son is the same way yours sounds. But I hsed mine all the way so he is going into the 4th grade. I think God uses him to teach me patience while I am trying to teach him. also they still learn things when you are not looking or even meaning to teach things. 

• sadiebug1228
    July 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

thank you. hes getting excited about school so hopefully ps is the way to go with him. he loved daycare and dispite being distracted he did quite well around other kids.

i try to keep things structured and on a schedule because of sadie and her special needs but it also seems to help him too.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

ADHD kids need structure and lot's of it. This is why they often like school. I personally hate doing much structure so my child has always thought I should be tougher and have more rules. I know however, that had I done that, she would have simply had more things to fight with me about and she loved fighting. Taking various martial arts often helped.

Here is a link with how to help ADHD as well as survive the stress!

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_parenting_strategies.htm

• sadiebug1228
    July 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

i have started to step back with my son and stopped pressuring him about everything he needs to learn for school like buttoning pants and rolling up his nap mat etc. thats how i potty trained him i introduced the potty got him interested in using it and then when he put up a fight about it i stopped almost completely and 3 months later he asked to wear his boxers and never went back to diapers, he got it over night lol

i have NO idea how my friend who runs the daycare taught him his name lol and its been so long since hes been to daycare hes starting to forget it too, he has to ask how its spelled :/ maybe if i go buy him some special pencils and paper he'll be more enthusiastic about it

Quoting debramommyof4:

To me it sounds like your son has decided he needs you to step back. 

My 4 almost 5 year old son has decided this is what he wants when it comes to pooping his pants.  He refuses to stop.  So I have decided to focus on his 3 year old sister who decided to potty train herself.  When he does poop in the potty I praise like  crazy but I dont pressure him anymore.

Maybe if you just stop saying he needs to and make things a game and praise him when he decides to do it then maybe he will come around.

Some kids just do not do well with learning at home, so if you decide to try it kindergarden will be your best bet with him.

I give my children (7,6,4, and 3) the option of home or class or school at home.  This year I have one who is doing CAVA (online public school, school at home) she is 6, one in a public homeschool charter school, she is 7, the other two I am making up their curriculum and straight homeschooling them.

I am actually very suprised my 6 year old did not decide to go to a classroom.  She had wanted to, but changed her mind.  So we will see about next year. 

Homeschooling is about what is best for each child and the family as a whole.  So the beauty of it is that you choose what is wierd or wrong or not going to work.  Other families can just tell you what worked for them.

Good luck with your son.  I know you will figure it out.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN