Homeschooling Moms

my2lilcubz
2nd grade ..suggestions?
July 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Hello.. I will be starting my daughter Savannah in the 2nd grade next month. Last year she did public school for the first half of the year and after Christmas break I started homeschooling her. We used spectrum but I do not want to use it again this year. Any suggestions? As of right now I am thinking about Alpha and Omega LifePacs.. anyone used this? any suggestions for curriculum would be great thanks! Also any suggestions on readers?

Lee

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM

ive used aop, if your daughter likes workbooks its good, but if she doensnt then not so good, cuz theres lots of them, you can break it up though with using other things for some subjects

i can tell you what ive used before, ive used rod and staff math for 2nd, (i didnt start lang. arts till 3rd gr.)

reading- we chose books froom library

history- i made unit studies and checked out library books about holidays, map skills(we mapped our town and area), our family history, geography stuff, families in different countries

science- i made unit studies, life cycles, birds and bugs, dinosaurs, plants, what animals eat, what animals live in(habitat), climate, water cycles, moon, sun, stars, planets, our earth, the sky, magnets, gravity

hand writing- copybooks and a chart

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

My son is going into second grade this year.  I can tell you what I am using.  I don't know anything about Alpha and Omega LifePacs though. 

Math- Math Mammoth

LA- Voyages in English and Explode the Code

History- Story of the World

Science- Magic School Bus Kits

We are going to do Magic Tree House books as well

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM

oh yea christian liberty has good curr! nature readers are fantastic,

the history they have is good

science is good(also rod and staff science is good) there nature series is great to read together

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM

This article will help you choose a method based on your child's learning style, and your abilities. 

How To Home School

• bluerooffarm
    July 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I homeschooled a 2nd grader this past year.  We used Math U See, Life of Fred, Evan Moor dailies for grammar and spelling, Story of the World, National Geographic World Atlas, and The Complete Curriculum of Spanish grades 1-3.  Everything else, I made myself.

• hipmomto3
    July 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I have a 2nd grader this year. We are doing Saxon math, Sonlight for history/geography/social studies, reading the Narnia series aloud w/ Further Up/Further In activities. 

• coala
    by coala
    July 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I have an upcommng 2nd grader and we are using ABeka's complete curriculum.  This will be our 3rd year and so far I have been super impressed with them.

• calimom1123
    July 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    We liked abeka k-3. I didnt get everything just the student book and teacher manuals. That kept cost down. Ace paces are good for 4th and up(havent used them earlier). They have online placement tests. They say not to put your child in a higher grade even if they test but I always put my dd where she tests otherwise its way too easy. They are cheap and easy to teach. They are meant to teach themselves but I usually go over new things. BJU is good but pricey.
  • hmschlg3
    July 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Hi. I keep a list of blogs and articles I've read and I've got them pretty well organized by grade levels. I like this particular one for 2nd grade curriculum that you may find helpful. 

With our own daughter we use Time4Learning.  I am so thankful we found this for her because she loves the animated and interactive lessons.  But for me it has helped me because all the planning is already done for me, and I can easily view and print her progress reports for easy record-keeping. As a mom who works part-time and having 2 other kids I homeschool, this is really helpful.  My sister started using T4L last year as it was her first year homeschooling after pulling her daughter out of school. She says she found it helpful as a new homeschooler for guidance.  She ultimately has continued using it, but she supplements for Science and History/Social Studies.  I must say that the Language Arts and Math are excellent. 

I hope this helps. :)  ............janet

• bren_darlene
    July 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

When I first began 20 yrs ago we tried lifepacs but didn't like them.  But everyone is different. Some people love them.  You just have to try different things until you find your niche.  :-)

Homeschooling Moms