Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
playing outside
July 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Do your kids like playing outside? I used to basically live outside as a kid because I loved it so much. Some of my greatest memories as a kid was being outside. My kids used to be outside every second they could be, but lately they don't want to go out. They keep saying they are bored inside so I just forced them out now and told them to stay out until I call them in!!! ;)

Replies

• hipmomto3
    July 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I'm a tad bit overprotective, so if my kids are playing outside, I have to be out there too, and they can never leave the yard. Not that there's anywhere to go really. There aren't a ton of kids in our neighborhood (two boys in the 2 houses down the street) and no sidewalks. Since we got rid of our swingset (they were getting too big for it) it's kind of boring out in our yard.

However, we do go to parks or the pool a LOT. So they are outside and exercising, just not in our yard necessarily. We also have this super irritating girl who thinks anytime my kids are outside it's a free invitation to just come into our yard and start playing. One day my kids were out in the backyard on their slip n slide, and this child shows up at my gate in her swimsuit, towel in hand. I was like, NO, we did NOT invite you (always irritates me at her mom for not knowing where or what she's doing too!).

I also used to play outside a lot as a kid, up and down the block and in the alley behind our house. But there were a half dozen of us, and we were always together, and it was just... different then. I think our neighborhood is generally safe but really no one is 'safe,' you know? Bad things can happen anywhere.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.  It is so hot out now, that he only wants to go out in the early evening, which is when the mosquitoes are the worst.  It is much better during the spring and fall, then he is outside all the time. 

I loved being outside as a kid!  I would ride my bike for hours or play in our "climbing" tree.  I have awesome memories of that stuff.

• coala
    by coala
    July 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Mine LOVE to be outside, just not this time of year.  We are in Fl and the summers are HOT.  I lived outside at the neighborhood pool when I was kid.  I spent as much time outdoors as possible, as long as I was near water I was fine.  If we had to play outside not near water then we weren't out long.  The heat and humidity is to much to handle most days from late April to about mid October.

• livanded
    July 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    My kids would live outside if they could. We have a big fenced in yard and lots of toys but mostly they just play in the dirt. It is super hot here right now so I have to make them come in more than I would like but we have school during the hottest time of day so my kids are happy.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yeah they like to play outside but our weather isn't very accommodating to it, it is either to hot, to cold, blowing dirt or blowing rain/snow.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    Yes, they love outside. I'm trying to move so I can feel better about them being outside without me. Right now I feel like I have to be out there. (There were 3 attempted abductions last year!) we live in a pretty nice neighborhood, too.
  • mamamedic69
    July 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    My dd hates to be inside. We are always outside. I have an enclosed backyard so she play without me there. But to ride her bike or scooter I need to be with her. We can't stay out too long at one given time. Florida weather is hot this time of year and I don't want her or I to get sunburn.
  • debramommyof4
    July 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    Its to hot right now. Over a hundred everyday. Once I get the pool back up after nap time once school starts next week I will be sending them out to play in the pool for an hour before lunch.

Homeschooling Moms