Homeschooling Moms

CrimsonRadiance
Just sharing :)
July 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

My 5 year old LOVES using these to sound out letters and words.. and it was totally free to make! :D 

What are some of your favorite free / cheap school "helpers"? 

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    What a neat idea! I love free educational apps!
  • kmath
    by kmath
    July 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Those look really cool. 

BTW, I LOVE the hair!

• coala
    by coala
    July 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

LOVE the hair.  Those look like paint swatches you get at the home improvement store....what exactly did you do with them that makes them good for sounding out words?

• celticdragon77
    July 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Very Very cool!! I did this with my kids when they were little. We are artistic and love colors, so this was right up our alley. 

• livanded
    July 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Have you tried the you can read lessons from 1+1+1=1. It is a sight word program. My 5 year old dd is doing better with sight words right now rather than phonics.
  • CrimsonRadiance
    July 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

We would rather teach phonics then sight words, so that our kids will be able to sound out bigger, longer, harder words later on easier. :) that's why we chose to do it this way. 

Quoting livanded:

Have you tried the you can read lessons from 1+1+1=1. It is a sight word program. My 5 year old dd is doing better with sight words right now rather than phonics.

• CrimsonRadiance
    July 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM

They are! :)

The ones from Lowes have the squares already cut out. :) So it makes it really easy. 

Quoting coala:

LOVE the hair.  Those look like paint swatches you get at the home improvement store....what exactly did you do with them that makes them good for sounding out words?

• CrimsonRadiance
    July 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

LOL! Thanks! :)  He chose the style and color himself

Quoting kmath:

Those look really cool. 

BTW, I LOVE the hair!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM

those look good crimson!!!

some cheap or free things we do is magnetic letters on cookie sheet i something we do

file folder games- free online

i made flip charts with recipe cards like these  http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/6412/word-families-flip-book

making up games using the game concentration

• livanded
    July 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
    Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

We do both. Some words you just have to know.

Homeschooling Moms