Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Pukalani79
Sign Language? Update
July 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Does anyone do ASL as a second language? If so, what material would you recommend? We did Signing Time when they were younger, but got away from it for awhile.  Now the material just seems too young for them (they're 8, 10 and 12)

Update: We just ordered Hands On Sign Language and the Joy of Signing.  It's set up as a daily curriculum, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works :)  Thanks for all the suggestions

Replies

• pmcrittersmom
    July 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM

We are a bit younger 6 and 8, so signing time still works for us.  I don't do it as regularly as I would like.  I have looked for something more, but not found anything.  I hope someone responds with a good idea as I am interested too!

• MessedUpMama
    July 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I once found some books for younger kids that had the story in signs as well as in print.  A sign language dictionary can be helpful, let the kids think of things they would like to know how to sign. Find a website or book that explains the grammer, it's more like Spanish than English. You might ask at a community college, they might have some sign language classes, so they might be able to help you find some more resources. Good luck.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    July 10, 2013 at 1:37 AM
    We have Come Sign with Us but it teaches it in English syntax. Some of the signs are outdated but most are good for vocabulary.

I cross check it with ASLpro online.

We also got two sets of ASL vocabulary flash cards

Finally, we have Joy of Signing also. I haven't started with that one yet. I am going to try it in the fall.
  • TJandKarasMom
    July 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM

What made you go with Hangs on Sign Language?  It sounds good, and isn't too expensive, but I can't seem to find any reviews.  Did you read any reviews about it?

• TJandKarasMom
    July 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM

And is Hands on Sign Language a PDF or a physical book that they send to you?  It looks like it's just printed out and comb bound on the sample page, but it says "price includes shipping."

• Pukalani79
    July 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Its a physical book from what I understand. I'll let you know when I get it.  I haven't seen any reviews, so I guess I'll be the first :) But it was inexpensive enough to go ahead and try it.  I've been given a lot of ideas that I can supplement with if needed.  Honestly what sold me on it was the daily lesson plans.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

And is Hands on Sign Language a PDF or a physical book that they send to you?  It looks like it's just printed out and comb bound on the sample page, but it says "price includes shipping."

• TJandKarasMom
    July 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    I am liking the daily lesson plans too, that's what I feel like I need because I need to know where to start and what order to go in.

I think my mom might buy it for the kids birthdays (ds said that would be an "awesome" gift lol).

Quoting Pukalani79:

Its a physical book from what I understand. I'll let you know when I get it.  I haven't seen any reviews, so I guess I'll be the first :) But it was inexpensive enough to go ahead and try it.  I've been given a lot of ideas that I can supplement with if needed.  Honestly what sold me on it was the daily lesson plans.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

• Britty1987
    July 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    I'm making my own curriculum using my college books lol. I thought of getting a curriculum... I may end up ordering something next year. Let us know if you like it :)
  • Pukalani79
    July 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I will :)

Quoting Britty1987:

Let us know if you like it :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!