Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
AutymsMommy
So, what does your curriculum line up look like and what grades are you teaching this fall?
July 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Down to the wire ladies - well into July!

What does everyone's curricula line up look like and for what grades? I've almost finished ordering (can't believe I forgot science!) and things are rolling in (poor mail man!).

What are you most EXCITED to teach this fall?

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    July 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I've got a preschooler, a 5th grader, and a 4th grader to teach this fall.  I'm most excited to begin our history journey.  I've opted not to go with a curriculum or textbooks, but to create our own.  My 5th grader wants to learn about Native Americans, where they started, and where they are now.  I've got a couple of books for that that are really awesome.  He also wants to learn Latin, not as excited about that since languages really aren't where I shine.  My 4th grader just told me he wants to homeschool next year, so now I'm a bit panicked about what to go with for him, so we'll be working on that in the next several weeks.  I'm a bit behind the ball and just started up ordering things again.  Uh oh.

• TJandKarasMom
    July 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    I will have a 5th grader and a 6th grader. We are using Story of the World for history, and khan academy to work on math and solidify some math skills, I may add more into that later if they move through it quickly or need more.

I have no idea what I am doing for the rest of it! I wrote to the Book Samaritan and am hoping they send something soon so I can figure out what we are doing! I plan to just use what they send as a jumping off point and hope to plan some lessons with whatever they send. I am kind of starting to panic because my kids are asking to do school already (I didn't plan on starting until September, I thought they would need time to deschool). So we are now starting the last week of July after DDs camp is over. I hope I have something to work with by then, or we will just be doing some random things, lol.

I wish we had the funds to just order what we want. Oh, I am also waiting to see if we got approved for this scholarship thing, if we did then I may order some things if they will reimburse me for them, that will be fun! But the scholarship is only for the first year of hsing, but everything helps!
  • kmath
    by kmath
    July 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I have a second grader.  Surprisingly I am most excited about History right now.  I don't really like it much, but we are doing SOTW Vol #1 Ancients and I love the stories in the book.  Ancient history and Medival times are my favorites so this should be fun.  We are using Math Mammoth for Math, Voyages in English, Spelling Workout and supplementing with ETC for English, Magic School Bus for science and just whatever I can throw together for Health. 

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    I have a 2nd grader and my 2 yr old. I am pulling out my HOH curriculum for my two year old. I like that its all set and ready to go, so that I can concentrate on my dd while still keeping him occupied.
    Dd has BJU for Bible and history, R & S for math, Abeka for la, health and art, a reason for writing for writing, apologia for science, and guitar for kids for music.
    I'm a bit excited for all of it, but especially Bible and science this year. Can't wait!!!
  • AutymsMommy
    July 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

You aren't Catholic by any chance, are you? Most of the Catholic providers offer scholarships (Seton, CHC, OLVS, etc).

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I will have a 5th grader and a 6th grader. We are using Story of the World for history, and khan academy to work on math and solidify some math skills, I may add more into that later if they move through it quickly or need more.

I have no idea what I am doing for the rest of it! I wrote to the Book Samaritan and am hoping they send something soon so I can figure out what we are doing! I plan to just use what they send as a jumping off point and hope to plan some lessons with whatever they send. I am kind of starting to panic because my kids are asking to do school already (I didn't plan on starting until September, I thought they would need time to deschool). So we are now starting the last week of July after DDs camp is over. I hope I have something to work with by then, or we will just be doing some random things, lol.

I wish we had the funds to just order what we want. Oh, I am also waiting to see if we got approved for this scholarship thing, if we did then I may order some things if they will reimburse me for them, that will be fun! But the scholarship is only for the first year of hsing, but everything helps!

• JadeTigr7
    July 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    We use abeka for language arts/phonics, writing, and math. All about spelling for spelling, and MFW for Bible, science, history, music and art.
  • TJandKarasMom
    July 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    I am catholic, my husband is as well. But since our children are not our children together, neither of them are baptized or have been raised catholic. We have talked about going together and doing the whole process for all of us (DH and I are not confirmed) but we haven't. We don't attend church on a regular basis and our beliefs have changed as we have grown, but we still believe most of our catholic "roots" we just do things a little differently than the church would agree with. We also were not married in a church.

So DH and I are catholic, but not practicing, and while the children are catholic to us, they are not baptized or "officially" catholic.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You aren't Catholic by any chance, are you? Most of the Catholic providers offer scholarships (Seton, CHC, OLVS, etc).

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

• all2gethernow
    July 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    I just graduated my oldest:)
    This year I have a ninth grader and seventh grader. We're using teaching textbooks for math 7 and algebra 1, excellence in literature, grammar made easy, college prep vocabulary, mcdougal physical science, McGraw hill worold geography and world history, mcdougal intro to psych, Rosetta Spanish...karate, football and Young Marines for extra curricular;)
  • AutymsMommy
    July 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

It couldn't hurt to contact Seton or Kolbe to ask about scholarships... especially if you did decide to enroll the children in CCD and ask about baptism (which is a painless procress if both you and your husband have your sacraments, agree to the baptisms, attend the baptism class - two hours, tops, and decide to practice again.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I am catholic, my husband is as well. But since our children are not our children together, neither of them are baptized or have been raised catholic. We have talked about going together and doing the whole process for all of us (DH and I are not confirmed) but we haven't. We don't attend church on a regular basis and our beliefs have changed as we have grown, but we still believe most of our catholic "roots" we just do things a little differently than the church would agree with. We also were not married in a church.

So DH and I are catholic, but not practicing, and while the children are catholic to us, they are not baptized or "officially" catholic.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

• NYCitymomx3
    July 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I'm excited for everything!  After 7 years I'm going back to being a SAHM and can do so much more now.  Ds is 12 and a rising 7th grader.  Here's what his 7th grade curriculum looks like for him:

• Literature:  Lightning Lit 7
    • Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 7
    • Math:  Saxon Algebra 1/2
    • History:  K12 Human Odyssey 1
    • Geography:  Runkle's World Physical Geography
    • Science:  Apologia General Science
    • Other:  CCD (Confirmation prep), Scouts, Basketball, Online computer programming courses

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN