Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mrschambers7508
What do you recommend?
July 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Hey all!

Myself and a few family members are highly considering homeschooling. What are the good homeschooling programs you all use/ have found? I know there are so many out there and would like to have a program that is rated well. Thanks!

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    I am going to be using oak meadow this year. It is a complete curriculum, teaches in a gentle way, doesn't use workbooks, is a living education. It looks great from what I have looked over, and I have heard awesome reviews.
  • JadeTigr7
    July 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I use 3 different curriculums to homeschool with.  Abeka for language arts/phonics, writing, and mathematics.  All About Spelling for spelling and My Father's World for Bible, art, science, history, and music.

• Momof697
    July 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I will be using switched on school  for my motivaated DD for math. I use apoligia science. History I am america the beautiful. I am using sylvin for language arts for 2 of them. I still have some math to figure out and some language arts.

• romacox
    by romacox
    July 7, 2013 at 6:28 AM

There are many methods used by home educators.  The best one for you depends on your child's learning style.  45%  do fine with the Conventional method (workbooks, flashcards, sit down at desk type work).  But  for some this method does more harm than good, and it is why many moms resort to home education.

As a home school workshop leader, I put together the following free web page to help you get started,  understand your child's learning style, and choose the right method for that learning style. 

How To Home School

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Each family & child is different & not all boxed curriculum work for all, so my advice is learn the learning style & teaching styles of all the children & parents & base the ones you get off of that.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    July 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    Abeka, Rod & Staff, Bob Jones, and Apologia is what I'm using this year.
  • Leissaintexas
    July 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    I'm using BJU , Life of Fred, and Key to fractions for math, Bju and Real Science 4 Kids for science, Notgrass and various documentaries for history, Notgrass and various lit options for Language arts and Bible. I also occasionally throw in a Spectrum workbook for vocab or spelling.
    There is so much to choose from its usually very hard and takes lots of trial and error to find the right fit.
  • AutymsMommy
    July 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM

It really depends on your teaching style, your childrens' learning style(s), and your worldview/faith preferences.

For protestants, the following are popular:

Abeka

BJU

Horizons

Switched on Schoolhouse

CLE

Rod and Staff

Apologia Science

For Catholics, the following (we're Catholic; so most of these I've either researched extensively or used myself):

Catholic Heritage

Anglicum

Kolbe

Seton

Our Lady of Victory

Catholic Schools Textbook Project (middle and high school history)

Secular:

Calvert

Oak Meadow

All around popular:

Peace Hill Press grammar, writing, and history

Easy Grammar

Ellen McHenry science (grades 4 and up)

Most protestant science programs express a young earth creationist pov; most secular programs use secular public school tests; most Catholic programs (because most Catholics are theistic evolutionists/old earth creationists) use secular public school texts as well, although Catholic Heritage and Seton both have Catholic science programs published (and CHC's is sincerely stellar).

• mrschambers7508
    July 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Thank you!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts