Homeschooling Moms

kirbymom
Why Is Homeschooling Important ....
July 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM
To You and or Your family? Is this a life choice? or An answer to a problem?

Replies

• Mandallyn
    July 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    That's my oldest too. The more he does the same activity he proves proficient in the more confused he gets as we continue covering it.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Quoting kmath:

Yes! My poor little guy missed recess a ton. In K the teacher made him sit on the steps, last year in first he had to run laps around the playground. His high activity level and the trouble is class is the sole reason we're homeschooling. But then the more I looked into it, the more the idea appealed to me. This is a kid that can go to sleep at midnight and wake up at 6 am running. I am not like him. LOL He gets very tired and cranky later in the day though. During K there were days I'd have to carry him up the stairs, put him in the tub, then carry him to bed.

That sounds like me as a kid. I have never needed much sleep, I was hyper, talkative, and when I went to school I wanted it to be engaging yet simply put.

Sometimes the overkill or busywork seemed to cause confusion and killed any joy of learning. The school has since changed its way of doing things, but when I attended, The teacher lectured about what was in the textbook, then we had to go home and read the textbook, and then we had worksheets and/or writing assignments throughout the week on it, and finally there was a test. I used to think, I understood this 20minutes into the first day of class, why did we spend a week covering it.

In 4th or 5th grade they placed me in a learning disabled class because I was "disruptive due to family issues" (ie: being raised in foster care). Once in the learning disabled class, I was BORED TO TEARS because I already knew all of that information (they repeated the same stuff every single year) - and my behavior got worse. Luckily, I was eventually taken out, but it wasn't until a teacher made it her mission to do so. Turned out that I had ADHD and didn't need to be in the resource room at all. It took till 10th grade! Once they did it, all behavior issues disappeared and I made straight A's in regular classes.  

That is so my son!  DS hates reapeating everything.  Once he gets it, he gets it and he is ready to move on.  He will refuse to do the homework or schoolwork if he already knows something.  It was a fight to get his homework done because it was boring.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM

It started out as an answer to a problem but has become a life style for our family!

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    It has changed us, as well. I have mentioned our public school experience, and while I'd never want my daughter to go through that again, I am glad we are where we are. I can't imagine us NOT homeschooling.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    July 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

It is amazing how many kids are like this!

Quoting debramommyof4:

Your son sounds lime my oldest dd. She got in so much trouble.

Quoting kmath:

For us it was a solution to a problem.  DS gets bored easily and then starts acting up in class.  I decided he would do a lot better in an environment where he could be himself and it wouldn't screw up anyone else's learning.  He needs to be challenged and I can do that where the PS could not.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

DS never got confused with the material, but he couldn't figure out why he had to keep doing the same thing over and over when he already knew it.  It drove him crazy!

Quoting Mandallyn:

That's my oldest too. The more he does the same activity he proves proficient in the more confused he gets as we continue covering it.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Quoting kmath:

Yes! My poor little guy missed recess a ton. In K the teacher made him sit on the steps, last year in first he had to run laps around the playground. His high activity level and the trouble is class is the sole reason we're homeschooling. But then the more I looked into it, the more the idea appealed to me. This is a kid that can go to sleep at midnight and wake up at 6 am running. I am not like him. LOL He gets very tired and cranky later in the day though. During K there were days I'd have to carry him up the stairs, put him in the tub, then carry him to bed.

That sounds like me as a kid. I have never needed much sleep, I was hyper, talkative, and when I went to school I wanted it to be engaging yet simply put.

Sometimes the overkill or busywork seemed to cause confusion and killed any joy of learning. The school has since changed its way of doing things, but when I attended, The teacher lectured about what was in the textbook, then we had to go home and read the textbook, and then we had worksheets and/or writing assignments throughout the week on it, and finally there was a test. I used to think, I understood this 20minutes into the first day of class, why did we spend a week covering it.

In 4th or 5th grade they placed me in a learning disabled class because I was "disruptive due to family issues" (ie: being raised in foster care). Once in the learning disabled class, I was BORED TO TEARS because I already knew all of that information (they repeated the same stuff every single year) - and my behavior got worse. Luckily, I was eventually taken out, but it wasn't until a teacher made it her mission to do so. Turned out that I had ADHD and didn't need to be in the resource room at all. It took till 10th grade! Once they did it, all behavior issues disappeared and I made straight A's in regular classes.  

That is so my son!  DS hates reapeating everything.  Once he gets it, he gets it and he is ready to move on.  He will refuse to do the homework or schoolwork if he already knows something.  It was a fight to get his homework done because it was boring.

• Mandallyn
    July 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Oh I see.  DS1 gets confused the more I have him work on the same concept.  But if I stop once he gets it and bring it up the next day he normally does well.

Quoting kmath:

DS never got confused with the material, but he couldn't figure out why he had to keep doing the same thing over and over when he already knew it.  It drove him crazy!

Quoting Mandallyn:

• debramommyof4
    July 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    It is. I thought at the time because of where she worked at she was only advanced. I don't know now she may be gifted or just able to work at her own advanced level. I really could careless as long as she is learning and being challenged.

Quoting kmath:

It is amazing how many kids are like this!

Quoting debramommyof4:

Your son sounds lime my oldest dd. She got in so much trouble.

Quoting kmath:

For us it was a solution to a problem.  DS gets bored easily and then starts acting up in class.  I decided he would do a lot better in an environment where he could be himself and it wouldn't screw up anyone else's learning.  He needs to be challenged and I can do that where the PS could not.

• bluerooffarm
    July 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM

We have started back to school already, mostly because I can our food and I like to give them stuff to do while we are boiling and pureeing and all that.  We will have 37 days of school in by the time the ps starts.  So we will have plenty of time to do fun things while it is still warm in the fall and yet the ps families won't be going to those things.  We will get more 1-on-1 time with museum guides, more quiet times on the hiking and biking trails, etc.  When my oldest was still in ps, I always felt as though we needed to do the things while he was home to do them with us, which meant I was often canning into the night and cranky the next day.  So lifestyle and homeschool have evolved together.  There are many more examples just like that.

Quoting kirbymom:

That is such a great perspective on this! It IS indeed...an evolution of sorts.!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Hmmm....a bit of both.  I think our lifestyle choices created a problem that homschooling solved and homschooling has created problems that changing our lifestyle has solved.  It's just been an evolution of sorts.

• No_Difference
    July 8, 2013 at 8:02 AM

We started because of how horrible the schools by us were. However, it seems to fit our crazy schedule wonderfully. So I guess both lol.

• Christie1952
    July 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM

To give your children the opportunity to learn and grow in a safe and healthy environment! Helping them to understand how to learn. Homeschool children get better educations than their public school counterparts. 

Homeschooling Moms