Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Why Is Homeschooling Important ....
July 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM
To You and or Your family? Is this a life choice? or An answer to a problem?

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

LOL, that sounds exactly like my son.  He was class clown but got 100% on his tests.  He had A's and B's in all his classes but missed recess most days because he was acting up.

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Quoting kmath:

For us it was a solution to a problem.  DS gets bored easily and then starts acting up in class.  I decided he would do a lot better in an environment where he could be himself and it wouldn't screw up anyone else's learning.  He needs to be challenged and I can do that where the PS could not.

This exactly for us. My son is a big disturbance. Towards the end of last school year there was one week his teacher called me every single day because he wasn't listening and always trying to make the other kids laugh. Surprisingly he's always done great academically even though he was being a pain in a classroom.

• CJsMommy040506
    July 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Quoting kmath:

LOL, that sounds exactly like my son.  He was class clown but got 100% on his tests.  He had A's and B's in all his classes but missed recess most days because he was acting up.

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Quoting kmath:

For us it was a solution to a problem.  DS gets bored easily and then starts acting up in class.  I decided he would do a lot better in an environment where he could be himself and it wouldn't screw up anyone else's learning.  He needs to be challenged and I can do that where the PS could not.

This exactly for us. My son is a big disturbance. Towards the end of last school year there was one week his teacher called me every single day because he wasn't listening and always trying to make the other kids laugh. Surprisingly he's always done great academically even though he was being a pain in a classroom.

Yes! My poor little guy missed recess a ton. In K the teacher made him sit on the steps, last year in first he had to run laps around the playground. His high activity level and the trouble is class is the sole reason we're homeschooling. But then the more I looked into it, the more the idea appealed to me. This is a kid that can go to sleep at midnight and wake up at 6 am running. I am not like him. LOL He gets very tired and cranky later in the day though. During K there were days I'd have to carry him up the stairs, put him in the tub, then carry him to bed.

• Pukalani79
    July 7, 2013 at 2:32 AM

For my youngest I see it as a medical necessity.  For the others it's more about mental health I think.  I love it though - I cannot imagine going back to public school

• celticdragon77
    July 7, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Quoting kmath:

Yes! My poor little guy missed recess a ton. In K the teacher made him sit on the steps, last year in first he had to run laps around the playground. His high activity level and the trouble is class is the sole reason we're homeschooling. But then the more I looked into it, the more the idea appealed to me. This is a kid that can go to sleep at midnight and wake up at 6 am running. I am not like him. LOL He gets very tired and cranky later in the day though. During K there were days I'd have to carry him up the stairs, put him in the tub, then carry him to bed.

That sounds like me as a kid. I have never needed much sleep, I was hyper, talkative, and when I went to school I wanted it to be engaging yet simply put.

Sometimes the overkill or busywork seemed to cause confusion and killed any joy of learning. The school has since changed its way of doing things, but when I attended, The teacher lectured about what was in the textbook, then we had to go home and read the textbook, and then we had worksheets and/or writing assignments throughout the week on it, and finally there was a test. I used to think, I understood this 20minutes into the first day of class, why did we spend a week covering it.

In 4th or 5th grade they placed me in a learning disabled class because I was "disruptive due to family issues" (ie: being raised in foster care). Once in the learning disabled class, I was BORED TO TEARS because I already knew all of that information (they repeated the same stuff every single year) - and my behavior got worse. Luckily, I was eventually taken out, but it wasn't until a teacher made it her mission to do so. Turned out that I had ADHD and didn't need to be in the resource room at all. It took till 10th grade! Once they did it, all behavior issues disappeared and I made straight A's in regular classes.  

• tnt-manda
    July 7, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    A life choice. A big one. We had wanted to homeschool for a while. My oldest actually went to ps for two yrs, that helped us make our decision. We sacrificed a few extras took a huge drop in pay when I left my full time nursing career to just part time, but worth every bit of it. I can't think of anyone better to teach my three boys than my hubby and I. Going on our fourth year now my only regret is not taking the leap of faith and doing it sooner. I have seen them learn so much more, we have so much more family time, and I love being involved in their education.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    July 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting CJsMommy040506:

Quoting kmath:

That sounds like me as a kid. I have never needed much sleep, I was hyper, talkative, and when I went to school I wanted it to be engaging yet simply put.

Sometimes the overkill or busywork seemed to cause confusion and killed any joy of learning. The school has since changed its way of doing things, but when I attended, The teacher lectured about what was in the textbook, then we had to go home and read the textbook, and then we had worksheets and/or writing assignments throughout the week on it, and finally there was a test. I used to think, I understood this 20minutes into the first day of class, why did we spend a week covering it.

In 4th or 5th grade they placed me in a learning disabled class because I was "disruptive due to family issues" (ie: being raised in foster care). Once in the learning disabled class, I was BORED TO TEARS because I already knew all of that information (they repeated the same stuff every single year) - and my behavior got worse. Luckily, I was eventually taken out, but it wasn't until a teacher made it her mission to do so. Turned out that I had ADHD and didn't need to be in the resource room at all. It took till 10th grade! Once they did it, all behavior issues disappeared and I made straight A's in regular classes.  

That is so my son!  DS hates reapeating everything.  Once he gets it, he gets it and he is ready to move on.  He will refuse to do the homework or schoolwork if he already knows something.  It was a fight to get his homework done because it was boring.

• tiredmomfor2
    July 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    It is a life choice for us. :) we were both homeschooled, and feel that our children should be too.
    There is a long long list of the why's but that is basically it in a nut shell.
  • tuffymama
    July 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    We are just parenting our son, but people being people like labels, so I think we are kind of Attachment Parenting him. He sleeps with us, was EBF for almost a year, we used babyled weaning to feed him solids, I carried him rather than sticking him in a stroller, he still nurses sometimes, and so on. It would feel weird to do all of this bonding with him, convincing him he can depend on me and that I will always care for him and teach him naturally, and then stick him in a corral with 30 other kids and a warden for him to basically fend for himself, well before he is prepared for it. It was unnatural and shocking for me to do it to ODS and it was a bigger shock to him, believe me, but I did what I had to then when XH took off. ODS and I are still managing the consequences of that break in our bond as mother and son. I know better now so I can do better for LO, and I thank God I have the opportunity to do it.
  • debramommyof4
    July 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    Your son sounds lime my oldest dd. She got in so much trouble.

Quoting kmath:

• Mandallyn
    July 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    It's complicated. Right now it's because I have little faith in ps and I want my son to get 1-on-1 learning while he's still new to it all. I'm not sure how long we'll continue hs.
    It's also because our family is different, and I want my children to grow up without the pressures of society telling them they're doing something wrong.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN