Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
tiredmomfor2
Thinking of teaching them separately...
July 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM
In the past I have taught my oldest two (now 8 and soon to be 6) together. Most subjects, not all. Science, History, art, crafts etc. It had worked for us. Recently, it hasn't went as well. Plus the youngest will be starting this fall as well.
I'm considering doing each of them separately this year. As much as I think it is the right choice..it also stresses me out a little bit.
Any tips from families who teach their children separately?

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

When I am doing the split subjects, I have one child working on their *easy* subject that they don't need me for, and work on the *hard* subject with the other. Then I switch.

There are busy things you can do or make to keep them occupied when you don't want the other to disturb you. I see them a lot on Pinterest.

• TJandKarasMom
    July 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    Mine are only 11 months apart, but the older is ahead and the younger a bit behind. We are planning to do history, science, art, and music together. Math will be separate, and they will have different spelling/vocab words. I will expect more from my oldest in the form of writing, but many of their assignments will be similar (like write about this historical event, but I will accept a shorter paper from my younger one).

So I plan to have one doing their math online while I work on spelling with the other, then they will switch. I think that's my plan anyway. I still have no idea what I'm doing. Sorry I'm not much help, lol.
  • swim-mom72
    July 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Mine are much older, and have been completely seperate for a while. My oldest requested to work independantly a couple of years ago. He also works at a much faster pace than my younger son, so it made more sense to sperate them.

My oldest does every single subject on his own, at his desk in his room.

My youngest does his work in our office, which is also our hoemschool room.

Sorry I cannot offer much help. Find your own way, and dont worry about how others do school. Whatever works best for you and your kids is what you should do. And if the new way is a flop, you can always put them back together for school : )  Flexability is one of the beauties of homeschooling.

• hipmomto3
    July 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

We do some things all together, some subjects individually.

Mine are 10, 7, and 6. The younger two are only 13 months apart so very close academically as well.

We do literature, art, and science all together. Sometimes geography and history.

But they do language arts/phonics, handwriting, reading, math, etc - all at their own levels (we do workboxes). So part of our school day is workbox (individual) time, and the other part is all-together time. Which is what I call it in my planner - ATT (All Together Time). :)

• KickButtMama
    July 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM

When my kids hit around lose we had to spit up as well. I usually set one up w/ independant work (reading, science, etc...something they don't need me overseeing) then I can work with the other one on one. 

• celticdragon77
    July 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I have two kids close in age like yours. I plan to do all subjects together. Is there a reason you felt it didn't work. Might be helpful to me - a heads up of possible issues to come.

• kirbymom
    July 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    I also had a child who could do school independantly from the rest of the kids. She did all ofher own schholing and picked out all of her own lessons too. We just gave her an outline of what we wanted and what we were looking for from her. She did all th rest. I must say that I had never seen any child that could study as independantly as she did. It allowed me to give her days off from school and she would suggest helping her other siblings since she was done with her own schoolwork. She also felt it would be a great way to learn how to help others as well as help her learn to teach other people with different learning skills than herself. All this was done without me asking too. But, she was our only one that could do this at that time. I think I have another one withthe same capabilities now. So, we will have to see how i goes this time around.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts