Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Dictionary Skills. Do You....
July 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
....Teach dictionary skills ?

If you do, how did you teach these skills?

Replies

• TJandKarasMom
    July 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    Just starting HS...but over the past couple of years with spelling words I have made my youngest look them up and write the definition or sentences. It helped her remember how to spell them and she would learn what they meant if she didn't know.

I'm sure I will still make them practice it sometimes, but my son really has it down, my daughter is different so she will need some practice, same with alphabetizing longer words-the dictionary can be good for that too. I think they need to know how to use a dictionary even though they hardly will need to do it with the Internet.
  • celticdragon77
    July 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

YES!

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I do. I have them use the dictionary. I explain alphabetical order, too.

• kirbymom
    July 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    My kids actually thanked me this year, for making them learn this skill, They actually said it helped them have intellectual conversations with some older firends of theirs. OMG! I was so totally in sbock afte they told me. lol

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Just starting HS...but over the past couple of years with spelling words I have made my youngest look them up and write the definition or sentences. It helped her remember how to spell them and she would learn what they meant if she didn't know.

I'm sure I will still make them practice it sometimes, but my son really has it down, my daughter is different so she will need some practice, same with alphabetizing longer words-the dictionary can be good for that too. I think they need to know how to use a dictionary even though they hardly will need to do it with the Internet.

• kirbymom
    July 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Do you teach now or have you taught before? If before, how did you go about teaching it?

quote name="celticdragon77" id="0"]

YES!

[/quote]
  • kirbymom
    July 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Did you incorporate it into a lesson or did you teach it as a seperate lesson by itself?

Quoting mem82:

I do. I have them use the dictionary. I explain alphabetical order, too.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Yes. She has 3-5 vocabulary words per week (3rd/4th grade) which she looks up in the dictionary, writes the definition, writes a sentence and draws a picture. Then she files it alphabetically in her personal dictionary file.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I absolutely LOVE this idea!  I hadn't even thought of teaching dictionary skills.  I have made him look up words before, but then I lost our dictionary.  (Great another thing I need to buy)  I might have him do this. 

Quoting lucsch:

Yes. She has 3-5 vocabulary words per week (3rd/4th grade) which she looks up in the dictionary, writes the definition, writes a sentence and draws a picture. Then she files it alphabetically in her personal dictionary file.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have shown my children how to use the dictionary but they prefer using the internet to look up words.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    July 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Well, I can't take the credit for the idea--it is part of her Heart of Dakota curriculum.

Quoting kmath:

I absolutely LOVE this idea!  I hadn't even thought of teaching dictionary skills.  I have made him look up words before, but then I lost our dictionary.  (Great another thing I need to buy)  I might have him do this. 

Quoting lucsch:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts