Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Dictionary Skills. Do You....
July 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
....Teach dictionary skills ?

If you do, how did you teach these skills?

Replies

• kirbymom
    July 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    How did you do that with the encyclopedia, if I may ask? :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

We have practiced with encyclopidia's but not dictionaries I am going to have to figure out a plan for that.

• kirbymom
    July 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    That sounds interesting, speed drills. What was the end results?

Quoting bren_darlene:

yes, I just always made them look up any words they didn't know. Sometimes had speed drills too.

• mommaTLC186
    July 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    Since my kids were young I have had them use the dictionary to aid in writing definitions. They now go to it on their own if they come across a word they don't know. We also have a thesaurus that they use regularly. In this age of technology I find it awesome that my 15,14&7yrs still utilize both in paperback form :)
  • mommaTLC186
    July 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    What is a speed drill?

Quoting bren_darlene:

yes, I just always made them look up any words they didn't know. Sometimes had speed drills too.

• kirbymom
    July 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    That's awesome. Especially for today, as it seems these particular skills are going by the wayside. :(

Quoting Momof697:

My kids know dictionary skills and phone book skills. they are both taught the same way once the know the alphabet they start putting words in order. I help them for awhile but now most of my kids can look something up by themselves. 

• kirbymom
    July 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    I know what you mean!

We also can not do without the thesaurus! Especially as we do tons of research-report ppers.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Since my kids were young I have had them use the dictionary to aid in writing definitions. They now go to it on their own if they come across a word they don't know. We also have a thesaurus that they use regularly. In this age of technology I find it awesome that my 15,14&7yrs still utilize both in paperback form :)

• kirbymom
    July 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    At least he is trying, though. That is a plus. :)

Quoting hwblyf:

I haven't given him a dictionary to use, but we look things up online, which is cool because he then gets to hear the word, which is something he needs desperately.  He's incredibly smart, reads constantly, kinds bypasses interacting with people, so he makes up his own pronunciation of words.  It can be a bit confusing when he first talks to you about it because you have to wrap your brain around his pronunciation.  I do like the idea of teaching the dictionary, I'll have to add that this year.

• Leissaintexas
    July 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I didn't actually "teach' the skill. Its just one of those things that comes up. They get curious about a new word, and intead of telling them what it means, I make them find out for themselves. It doesn't need to be a part of a lesson. Its like tying shoes or learning to do dishes. Its just a life skill that all people should have and you learn it in the course of a normal day.

• kirbymom
    July 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    I can certainly agree with ....everyone should have this skill , but I am not too sure how many people have it apart of thier normal, every day lives. I know some families that have no idea how to use the dictionary.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I didn't actually "teach' the skill. Its just one of those things that comes up. They get curious about a new word, and intead of telling them what it means, I make them find out for themselves. It doesn't need to be a part of a lesson. Its like tying shoes or learning to do dishes. Its just a life skill that all people should have and you learn it in the course of a normal day.

• debramommyof4
    July 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I taught the older 2 girls abc order then if they wanted to know something I would have them bring me the encyclopidia they thought it would be in.  Then we would sit together and I would flip through stopping at random intervals to ask if they thought we were close to where it would be.  I would go to far sometimes and sometimes to early in my stops so they can practice both ways.  They are 6 and 7 (1st and 2nd grades this coming year) and now can look up anything. 

They love the encyclopidias so I keep them in the playroom so they can read them whenever they want too.

Quoting kirbymom:

How did you do that with the encyclopedia, if I may ask? :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

We have practiced with encyclopidia's but not dictionaries I am going to have to figure out a plan for that.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN