Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
usmom3
How to Homeschool Without a Set Curriculum
by usmom3
BJ
July 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I thought this was a good read with good advice & thought I would share it with all of you

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-homeschool-without-set-curriculum-210510.html?cat=25

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Thanks, that was really good and very informative.  I think eccelctic homeschooling looks so interesting and it might be where we end up going.  I am starting with a more traditional method but I am willing to change it up if that is what it takes.  Thank you for posting this.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Your welcome!

Quoting kmath:

Thanks, that was really good and very informative.  I think eccelctic homeschooling looks so interesting and it might be where we end up going.  I am starting with a more traditional method but I am willing to change it up if that is what it takes.  Thank you for posting this.

• kirbymom
    July 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    I like this post. It is very informative for those that are interested in this type of schooling.
  • KickButtMama
    July 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Awesome! Thanks!

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    July 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    Loved it
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    July 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

We are somewhere between eclectic and unschooling.  We started out traditional but it was not working for us.  I was getting bored so I can only imagine how my kids felt.  I could see them losing their curiosity.  My son would actually ask me to do math instead of our subjects.  My son hated writing which really concerned me.  He would come to come and ask for me to spell words for him during his free time.  He loved to draw and label his drawings.  I soon  realized that was more than one way to learn all the traditional subjects.  I use curriculum with my sons but only ones they enjoy.  If they want to learn something else they are free to change what they are doing.  My son made his own book which he calls my way homework.   I also began letting them chose their own spelling words.  They are now learning larger words much faster than before.  My oldest is a bit on the gifted side and very curious.   He needs more freedom in our approach.  They are free to change any assignment they are given.  I can give him a vocab workbook and he will pull words from the book and write the words on a 3 D paper house.  I don't think this method works for everyone but it has done wonders for our family.

• swim-mom72
    July 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN