Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Ohio passed a bill to allow homeschoolers to participate in extra curriculars without partial enrollment!
by mem82
July 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Here's the link

Will you take advantage of this? Would you if your state offered it?

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM

That is awesome!  Here they are supposedly allowed to participate in extra curriculers.  I am not sure how it works yet though.  They don't have anything for the younger kids though so I am not going to worry about it till he is middle/high school level.  He wants to play on the baseball team though so I will take advantage of that when the time comes. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

They are trying to pass a bill like that here in Texas (I don't know if it passed yet or not).

I was against it because in Texas there is already a law that left it up to the discretion of each school district to allow or not allow homeschoolers to play on their teams. We also have great homeschool sports leagues here that play against each other & the school districts all over the state & in New Mexico & Oklahoma. It is a waist, all it would do is make it impossible for the homeschool sport leagues to keep going. There have been other states that had a set up like Texas that passed a law like that & now the Homeschool sports teams have no one to play against but themselves because the schools are refusing to play against them & telling them the homeschool kids have to join the school teams.

• kirbymom
    July 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    I have mixed feelings.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    July 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    There are some that didn't want it. I like that it wasn't just sports, it's the clubs and things, too. We will probably never use them, but heck, my taxes help pay for them, I might as well use have the option to use them. Lol
  • mem82
    by mem82
    July 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    There are some that didn't want it. I like that it wasn't just sports, it's the clubs and things, too. We will probably never use them, but heck, my taxes help pay for them, I might as well use have the option to use them. Lol
  • mem82
    by mem82
    July 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Ohio also used to leave it open to the district.
  • sha_lyn68
    July 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Quoting mem82:

Here's the link

No I wouldn't in my state offered it and each time it comes up for discussion in my state I let my representatives know I am against it. Any proposed legislation in my state (GA) has included more oversight of all homeschoolers so that it can be verified that they qualify to participate in sports if they choose to.

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Happily, if you read the language, they can't ask for more than what we already give them. It is a well done item.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting mem82:

Here's the link

No I wouldn't in my state offered it and each time it comes up for discussion in my state I let my representatives know I am against it. Any proposed legislation in my state (GA) has included more oversight of all homeschoolers so that it can be verified that they qualify to participate in sports if they choose to.

• KickButtMama
    July 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

We have the same district law here....and I've yet to meet a single HS'er in my state who has been able to use it without a major headache. I'll stick w/ HS based or town promoted. 

Quoting usmom3:

They are trying to pass a bill like that here in Texas (I don't know if it passed yet or not).

I was against it because in Texas there is already a law that left it up to the discretion of each school district to allow or not allow homeschoolers to play on their teams. We also have great homeschool sports leagues here that play against each other & the school districts all over the state & in New Mexico & Oklahoma. It is a waist, all it would do is make it impossible for the homeschool sport leagues to keep going. There have been other states that had a set up like Texas that passed a law like that & now the Homeschool sports teams have no one to play against but themselves because the schools are refusing to play against them & telling them the homeschool kids have to join the school teams.

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM

We don't have anything like that here.  If we did I would be much more likely to go for the homeschool team.

Quoting usmom3:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN